Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jazz

Footlongs and Monitors

36 posts in this topic

I've decided to get a second monitor for my current get up, and trying to decide whether I should go bigger from the 24 incher I currently got. I game at a desk, would a 27" be worth it and if so should I go for one that can display at 1440p? Or stick to a 1080p monitor or even stick to a 24 incher? That extra 3 inches can make quite a difference apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm of the firm opinion that you can never have too much virtual desktop ... so I tend to go large and high resolution when it comes to monitors.  At home I have a 20-30-20 PLP, and game primarily on the 30".  I could never drop down to a 1080p monitor because I'm used to so much desktop space.  Things are different at work where, over the years I've been able to accumulate a collection of 24" widescreens.  I currently have three in PLP, but the portrait on the left is 1920x1080 whereas the other two are 1920x1200.  Yes, that extra 120 rows of pixels makes a difference.  The 1080p monitor is the newest and the department purchased those because they were cheaper than the 1200p (of course) ... this is a consequence of budget cuts.

I prefer a 16:10 ratio monitor for production work, but most games are 16:9 thanks to the popularity of consoles and console ports to PC.  You cannot go wrong with the larger.  The only thing you may encounter is your video card will need to be robust enough to drive it.  In which case, it is still a good idea to go large (monitor) and then upgrade your card when you can.  Chances are you'll have the monitor much longer than the card, and your monitor will likely last through many card upgrades over the years.

2c

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I saw in the other thread (where I probably should have asked this question thinking about it) about your setup and opinion on virtual desktop real estate. ;) I was indeed concerned about how my graphics card would handle the increase in resolution, it seems to run everything at maximum pretty fine at the moment for me, and was worried about whether I should upgrade it at the same time. But then I didn't upgrade my graphics card because I didn't really feel the need, so maybe this will provide the push to do so, and higher resolution is always good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's so much to like and dislike about a specific product, i tend to go for reviews. I can only see 1 review on Scan, and would probably look for more elsewhere before committing.

I prefer big 21:9 for gaming. But it's also pretty awesome for watching true widescreen films without bands top and bottom.

Actually, i just checked ebuyer. That has a half dozen more reviews all 5 star. So looking good.

 

What card would you be driving that with?

 

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

There's so much to like and dislike about a specific product, i tend to go for reviews. I can only see 1 review on Scan, and would probably look for more elsewhere before committing.

I prefer big 21:9 for gaming. But it's also pretty awesome for watching true widescreen films without bands top and bottom.

Actually, i just checked ebuyer. That has a half dozen more reviews all 5 star. So looking good.

 

What card would you be driving that with?

 

Cheers for checking! Currently a GTX 970, depending on how well it performs with the monitor will determine how soon I will be upgrading it seems heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Cheers for checking! Currently a GTX 970, depending on how well it performs with the monitor will determine how soon I will be upgrading it seems heh.

I use a GTX980ti to drive my 30" monitor (2560x1600) and generally am able to play with relatively high settings ... perhaps not ultra settings in visually complex games, but I'm not much of a graphics whore.  I found that I can up the settings if I reduce or remove AA altogether ... it really isn't needed on high resolution low dot pitch monitors like mine.  You may be able to get away with that too, as a short stop method to higher graphic quality, in the interim until you can afford a more powerful card.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Elovia said:

I use a GTX980ti to drive my 30" monitor (2560x1600) and generally am able to play with relatively high settings ... perhaps not ultra settings in visually complex games, but I'm not much of a graphics whore.  I found that I can up the settings if I reduce or remove AA altogether ... it really isn't needed on high resolution low dot pitch monitors like mine.  You may be able to get away with that too, as a short stop method to higher graphic quality, in the interim until you can afford a more powerful card.

I ain't that much of a graphics whore, or at least I'll find out how much of one I am once I get this monitor (which is now ordered). The real estate definitely is something I would appreciate I think, not really thought about it before but I am always struggling with screen space and not having enough space for everything I run. This should make things like the Roll20 games I run a lot easier actually with all the character sheets and such like currently cluttering up screens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So my last card was a 970, which i loved. Once i moved to the current monitor, i knew i needed to upgrade the GPU at some point, if i wanted to experience things like AA with any decent frame rates. but it's big bucks, so i lived with it for about 1 year first.

Edited by Pasanda
Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pasanda said:

So my last card was a 970, which i loved. Once i moved to the current monitor, i knew i needed to upgrade the GPU at some point, if i wanted to experience things like AA with any decent frame rates. but it's big bucks, so i lived with it for about 1 year first.

Yeah, how well my GPU performs with the new monitor will determine whether my next big purchase will be a new graphics card or finally go for a VR headset (got told to hold off on VR until this year as something big was coming, whether they knew something or were just talking out their arse I am still waiting to see).

The monitor is ordered and on its way, should be here by tomorrow apparently. Hopefully I will get a chance to set things up before I have to go out tomorrow night for my weekly D&Ding and try things out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jazz said:

Yeah, how well my GPU performs with the new monitor will determine whether my next big purchase will be a new graphics card or finally go for a VR headset (got told to hold off on VR until this year as something big was coming, whether they knew something or were just talking out their arse I am still waiting to see).

The monitor is ordered and on its way, should be here by tomorrow apparently. Hopefully I will get a chance to set things up before I have to go out tomorrow night for my weekly D&Ding and try things out.

You could say something big is coming soon every year and still be correct. The Oculus Go has just been released. Not sure you'd call it a big thing though. More of a cut-down rift, with all the gubbins in the headset. There's a new  Hololens out, but that's AR, not VR. Then there's the Oculus Quest, which i don't know much about. HTC are just too expensive for me, so not watching them.

As long as can get immersive porn, it doesn't matter what you buy really. Hell, just hold a magazine up close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

You could say something big is coming soon every year and still be correct. The Oculus Go has just been released. Not sure you'd call it a big thing though. More of a cut-down rift, with all the gubbins in the headset. There's a new  Hololens out, but that's AR, not VR. Then there's the Oculus Quest, which i don't know much about. HTC are just too expensive for me, so not watching them.

As long as can get immersive porn, it doesn't matter what you buy really. Hell, just hold a magazine up close.

Yeah I am suspecting he was thinking of the Go, which isn't what I would want (I have a decent PC...).

I know one guy at work who isn't interested in VR until they get sensory feedback especially for porn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They already have haptic suits, containing tiny air bladders, that mimic pressure points.

I'm waiting for the Haptic Codpiece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

They already have haptic suits, containing tiny air bladders, that mimic pressure points.

I'm waiting for the Haptic Codpiece.

Once they invent the haptic codpiece, humanity is over.

In other news, my monitor has arrived at house apparently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jazz said:

Once they invent the haptic codpiece, humanity is over.

In other news, my monitor has arrived at house apparently!

Woo hoo! You're set for a great weekend. How does it look? Photos?

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Woo hoo! You're set for a great weekend. How does it look? Photos?

Set it up last night and took photos, but had to go out most of last night and I can't seem to upload pics from work here (just got loading below for attachments). I did try it out on Monster Hunter World and surprisingly found that it ran at highest settings fine. Feel this needs further testing, good thing I got the weekend continue testing over...

Will get pictures up shortly and, hmm editing a post gives the option...

Before..

.IMG_20190314_165155081.thumb.jpg.66c27eb29dce3677ce685a5e097f582a.jpg

After..

IMG_20190314_175220594.thumb.jpg.8121e417e74a38de25f4c149ff3beaf0.jpg

Elovia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to work out where best to put the computer. The shelf at the bottom is too thin to hold it facing out, would have to put it sideways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. From the photos, it doesn't look a mile away from your old monitor. But i suppose the devil is in the detail, when it comes to monitors.

Those headphones look an awful lot like mine. Corsair H1500 7.1 right? I am not impressed with them. The sound quality is OK, and they're comfy, but the surround is simulated, which i didn't realise at the time, and I don't think i can tell either. And they were relatively pricey IMO. It was the last time i bought a piece of tech from walking into a shop, and won't do that again.

 

Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

Very nice. From the photos, it doesn't look a mile away from your old monitor. But i suppose the devil is in the detail, when it comes to monitors.

Those headphones look an awful lot like mine. Corsair H1500 7.1 right? I am not impressed with them. The sound quality is OK, and they're comfy, but the surround is simulated, which i didn't realise at the time, and I don't think i can tell either. And they were relatively pricey IMO. It was the last time i bought a piece of tech from walking into a shop, and won't do that again.

 

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I was surprised at how close they seemed in size to be honest, I had a 28" years ago and that seemed massive whereas this just feels like a single step up in terms of size, not that much bigger. It does have higher resolution though, plus USB ports and other stuff like speakers and the stand is completely adjustable whereas the old one you can't adjust at all. 

I think they are! They are definitely Corsair and are H something or other I recall. I can't tell the difference in sound stuff myself, and I got them because they were going (relatively) cheap as a refurbished pair, which I have had no problem with though maybe I just got lucky and got a headset whose previous owner didn't have lice! Just checked my order history and yes they are the H1500 7.1! Going to try playing without the headset now I have speakers again though, just so that I don't feel so tied to the seat as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like I won't be enjoying it this weekend. Got to run Witcher 3 at ultra settings and everything was fine, got online with a couple of friends and was just starting another game up when it just suddenly went all dim except for a thin strip down the middle. Suspect the backlight has gone. Bollocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well, it looks like I won't be enjoying it this weekend. Got to run Witcher 3 at ultra settings and everything was fine, got online with a couple of friends and was just starting another game up when it just suddenly went all dim except for a thin strip down the middle. Suspect the backlight has gone. Bollocks.

Damn.  That hurts.  Sorry for your loss.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well, it looks like I won't be enjoying it this weekend. Got to run Witcher 3 at ultra settings and everything was fine, got online with a couple of friends and was just starting another game up when it just suddenly went all dim except for a thin strip down the middle. Suspect the backlight has gone. Bollocks.

Ahhh. Crap. We have a saying where I work, that if something is up with it, it is more likely to go wrong in the first few hours/days of use. Better now than when the warranty is up.

Don't be disheartened.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jag said:

Damn.  That hurts.  Sorry for your loss.

The whole family is in mourning. :'(

10 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Ahhh. Crap. We have a saying where I work, that if something is up with it, it is more likely to go wrong in the first few hours/days of use. Better now than when the warranty is up.

Don't be disheartened.

Definitely, it was just that it was the weekend that got me lol. And going back to the old monitor after getting used to that new one....

Contacted Scan and sent them the picture below showing the fault, and they will hopefully replace it with a working one.

5c8cd0bdac7de_faultyscreen.thumb.jpg.f3d9f05d838e3625d7b109609e4746e1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pasanda said:

How's it going?

Got it all arranged to get it sent back and a replacement sent, they were supposed to pick it up today and even sent a timeframe for their arrival yet no one came so having to chase them up about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0