Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boag

Robotics

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

High School Regional robotics contests finals today.   https://frc-events.firstinspires.org/watch

Pretty interesting.  Friend of mines son is in the Huntsville finals.  Their 3 team alliance won.

There are more regionals next weekend for those that want to watch some live.

I thought that it would be boring but figured I would check them.  Ended up really enjoying them and watching most of the matches Friday and Saturday.  Wish they had these back when I was in high school.

Edited by Boag

I can't se the videos from here. Webiste says they're all offline. Can you just tell me what you mean by robotics? Is it the Robot Wars type of thing? 2 or more machine head to head, try to tear strips off each other?

Posted (edited)

My niece was really into this stuff when she lived in LA.  There are school-sponsored teams and lots of resources.  She won a few competitions and started getting letters from IVY league schools and such.  It's very cool stuff.

The competitions felt more like dog shows than battle bots.  Mazes and tasks and such.  Her team won one of them because they used an IR laser to guide it.

Edited by Jag
Jazz and Pasanda like this

12 hours ago, Jag said:

My niece was really into this stuff when she lived in LA.  There are school-sponsored teams and lots of resources.  She won a few competitions and started getting letters from IVY league schools and such.  It's very cool stuff.

The competitions felt more like dog shows than battle bots.  Mazes and tasks and such.  Her team won one of them because they used an IR laser to guide it.

Okay now that is cool. So its literally what you said it is, robots! And actual proper robotics competitions instead of smash 'em up ones! I wish we had that at school...

Pasanda likes this

7 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Okay now that is cool. So its literally what you said it is, robots! And actual proper robotics competitions instead of smash 'em up ones! I wish we had that at school...

Still can't see the vids, but yeah. I like the sound of that.

Posted (edited)

Todays live streams.

https://frc-events.firstinspires.org/watch

Here is the link to rules.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=first+robotics+competition+2019+rules+overview&&view=detail&mid=2C43559E3D1656DD112F2C43559E3D1656DD112F&&FORM=VRDGAR

Ps.  the Team #'s are based on when the high school started a robotics program.  Not that the younger teams can't win, they have just had less time to develop an infrastructure/support system.  Team 364 is my old high school, the regional they are in today is not live streaming though. :(

Edited by Boag
Dunnar likes this