Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Google Stadia wants to be the Netflix of gaming

5 posts in this topic

I really hope this doesn't happen.  Not only because I'm a fan of physical media, but because it would drastically change the way we play games.  Giving Google more power over what we play and when we play it is a bad idea.  Not only Google as a company, any company having this much control over our games and how we consume them is just asking for trouble.

It would change the gaming industry and could potentially exclude companies who don't play nice with Google and their political views.  Why leave it to a single company to decide which games we have access to and which ones we don't?  

I'm not buying that the technology is there to play these games at 60 fps and at 4k with seamless response time from a wifi controller.  

What do you all think?  

Pasanda likes this

Google has been manipulating search algorithms to successfully influence elections. 

I think it'll happen. I think some titles will work fine for some people, some of the time. Over time the experience will improve and, eventually, it'll more or less deliver, and it will find a player base that will make it successful for decades to come.

One little snippet in there was that it demands 25mbps network connections. According to Akamai in 2017, the UK had the worlds fastest avg at 26mbps, and the US avg then was 10.7mbps. I've no idea how reliable that stat is, but i understand Akamai to be the silent power somewhere near the centre of the global Internet.

I suspect their licensing model may persuade indie game devs to look for other outlets. Some non-indie will also look elsewhere, just because they don't believe in giant ubiquitous Google. So in 10 years we'll have a slew of these gaming platforms, of which Google will be one, and then we'll have hundreds, or thousand of other game makers still knocking out titles to be played in the old way.

If it did go ahead and take over...

- Imagine what the likes of Nvidia and AMD are going to have to saying, if it appears the bottom will just disappear from their market for GPU...?

- Come to think of it, if AAA games no longer need gaming rigs, outside of tasks such as video editing, none of us will need a quarter of the RAM, nor SSD capacity, but monitors and wifi access points should continue to sell well.

Home based gaming creates a massive market in other shit.

I'm skeptical but we'll see.  It will never be as easy as they say.

Hell,Google can't even get my chromecast to reliably work on my local wifi to stream from my android phone ... and this is a magnitude of order more complex.

Skynet for Gaming :)

I don't know how well this will really work. Here in Canada, it's not like we always have the greatest of internet speeds at the best of times. Relying purely on my ISP for gaming? Is that how I read it? ummm...

That and I don't want to be constantly connected when I play a single-player game. Still, I see a lot of potential for this platform and having people jump in to a specific point you got to?

Elovia likes this