Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Warcraft I and II are now available at GoG

11 posts in this topic

Blizzard seems to be ditching a whole load of their old stuff on GoG lately. Didn't they just release Diablo 1 on there?

Elovia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Blizzard seems to be ditching a whole load of their old stuff on GoG lately. Didn't they just release Diablo 1 on there?

Yes.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Elovia said:

Yes.

Hmm explains how I got it in my GoG library!

Wonder if this is some sort of new push they are doing. Apparently despite publishing record profits they didn't make as big profits as they wanted and let a load of people go recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I acquired all for my GoG library even though I already own them on physical media.  The price, for me, includes them doing all the technical futzing required to make these old DOS games run on modern machines, which, if it works right out of the box, saves me and my valuable gaming time from having to do so.  I'm hoping that GoG will also provide access to Diablo II plus LOD and Warcraft III with all of the extras. I'm kind of /meh on whether GoG can acquire the rights to resell the Starcraft properties; don't get me wrong ... it isn't because I dislike them ... it is because I did and played them to the point of burnout.  I'm not sure I would buy them again just to sit in my digital library (I have physical copies of these, too).

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Elovia said:

Yeah, I acquired all for my GoG library even though I already own them on physical media.  The price, for me, includes them doing all the technical futzing required to make these old DOS games run on modern machines, which, if it works right out of the box, saves me and my valuable gaming time from having to do so.  I'm hoping that GoG will also provide access to Diablo II plus LOD and Warcraft III with all of the extras. I'm kind of /meh on whether GoG can acquire the rights to resell the Starcraft properties; don't get me wrong ... it isn't because I dislike them ... it is because I did and played them to the point of burnout.  I'm not sure I would buy them again just to sit in my digital library (I have physical copies of these, too).

Never did play Starcraft, just completely missed it at the time when I would have been interested in it, and now just not that interested in RTS much anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 2:49 AM, Jazz said:

Never did play Starcraft, just completely missed it at the time when I would have been interested in it, and now just not that interested in RTS much anymore.

I used to love RTS games, right up until I saw someone really good at them play one.  It looked very unfun.  I have dabbled, but that is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Jag said:

I used to love RTS games, right up until I saw someone really good at them play one.  It looked very unfun.  I have dabbled, but that is all.

I've played a number of RTS game titles over the years.  My library is littered with them.

I prefer the slower ones rather than the hyper-clickfest build-rush-and-overwhelm-the-enemy-with-superior-numbers ones.  Kohan (and expansions) falls into the former, where there is more emphasis on overall strategy (you can slowly lose the game far before you know you are lost); Starcraft falls into the latter because it rewards fast and efficient tactics; and the Stronghold games are somewhere in the middle.  Age of Empires and sequels were fun, and also somewhere in the middle.  Somewhere around here, I used to have a CD of Axis & Allies (a WWII themed hybrid board game of the same name with RTS scenes for the individual battles on the board) ... if my kid didn't make off with it.  The Warcraft series are definitely on the slower end of the spectrum.

RTS games have their place in gaming history.  As a genre, I think they've peaked and are on a decline.  As with anything, too much of something can lead to burnout ... and I think the gaming community is burned or burning out on them in favor of new game types which will, themselves, get overdone.

Edited by Elovia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Anno 1503 many moons back, which i quite enjoyed. Some of my colleagues swear by ST: Armada as being the best RTS they've ever played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Rumor has it that Anno 1900 [edit: 1800] is on the impending release horizon.  I'll be taking a close look, because I have the other Anno titles in my library.

Edited by Elovia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0