Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Iceland

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Spent last week in Iceland with the family for a spring break trip. 

This was our itinerary:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SjQuaECbjIruRluTr6IjZRVzlygLAz75&usp=sharing

We stayed in a different location every night, except the last 2 that were spent in the capital.  Rented a car (4 wheel drive with studded tires) and drove around the island.

Went to the Blue Lagoon:

BlueLagoon.thumb.jpg.cdd17789a444494bd7a0d2426df2f6a0.jpg

Spent time in the 2nd largest city of Akureyri:

akureyri.thumb.jpg.9d3d5bacef6ebf5d3dbd3145b5f12c78.jpg

Rode horses at a farm and happened to catch the Northern Lights (my photography skills aren't great and it wasn't the strongest aurora):

Farm.thumb.jpg.f9a12ab768fe2de7159fd17f515f0058.jpgAurora.thumb.jpg.14e1f3f10ad35486fc660ddb95867eb8.jpg

Went to the Myvatn Nature baths:

5cb0bd2995edd_MyvatnNatureBaths.thumb.jpg.3221fe0eba1e317c10b1870ed41beb82.jpg

Saw the Joklusarlon Iceberg Lagoon and Diamond beach:

5cb0bd2076001_JoklusarlonIcebergLagoon.thumb.jpg.766caf81623d981e815622760c186949.jpg5cb0bd08ae06f_Diamondbeach.thumb.jpg.ed057c135fc5506acfd720ab4c79a69f.jpg

Saw a billion waterfalls, some of which we could get very close and even walked behind 1:

5cb0bd142e8af_GoafossWaterfall.thumb.jpg.db98a0f518514a83fcf102630c7991e0.jpgKolugljúfur Canyon.jpg5cb0bd33d4fc6_SeljalandsoffWaterfall1.thumb.jpg.c0db049b30e0ed757100c9d391839115.jpg5cb0bd393f67e_SkgafossWaterfall.thumb.jpg.9172336c8c02e8661fd95b579c047ef8.jpg5cb0bd3e14df4_SvartifossandSkaftafellsjkullnationalpark.thumb.jpg.828802148451dd126492a202a184e670.jpg

Walked between the continental plates at Thingvellir National Park:

5cb0bd423510b_ThingvellirNationalPark.thumb.jpg.3f6a6c684a9d572e44f93313b0486e24.jpg

Walked along their black sand beaches:

BSB.thumb.jpg.4581d04b9d0657e7fef836963423fc93.jpgBSB1.thumb.jpg.3c6612ab91957db2dd7262cab450e338.jpgBSB2.thumb.jpg.bdafae7602415eca150287698c7384fb.jpg

Saw some turf roofed churches:

5cb0bd474ba0a_turfchurch.thumb.jpg.0cd056fae866b308cce70a11536c019a.jpg

Saw the main church Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik and even got a view from the top:

5cb0bd1bdb354_HallgrimskirkjaReykjavik.thumb.jpg.6d19da494b6d0ab4293e26103dd19b46.jpg5cb0bd1856ec2_HallgrimskirkjaReykjavikview.thumb.jpg.c90a7d0b32e28f2a304ed78f76d24765.jpg

My impressions:

Absolutely beautiful country.  No matter where we were, the views were amazing.

Food is off the charts expensive.  They can't grow chicken food on the island, so chicken is just as expensive as steak and salmon.  But it didn't seem to matter, everything was very expensive.

The weather, and driving in the weather, at the time we were there (maybe its different in the Summer) is very unpredictable.  I drove in 0 visibility blizzards, massive wind gusts, ice sheets, and some very questionable "roads".  Road closures are quite common.

Speaking of wind ... it is the 3rd windiest place in the world.  The first 2 are uninhabited.

I wouldn't call native Icelanders the friendliest people in the world ... or any Europeans I met.

A percentage of people everywhere are tourists.  From the capital to the smallest of fishing villages, there are tourists everywhere.  It can make driving that much more of an adventure.

I never knew there were no clothes dryers in Europe.  That went over well with the Wife.

All and all, I had a fantastic experience.  There is so much more to see and do and there are parts of the island I would love to explore in-depth.

Would I go back ... maybe.  The only reason I wouldn't is because the cost of food is so expensive ... but I am so glad we went.

Edited by Dunnar
JesGolbez likes this

Sounds like a lot of great memories.  How expensive was the food that it would keep you from heading back?  How do the locals afford it?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Jag said:

Sounds like a lot of great memories.  How expensive was the food that it would keep you from heading back?  How do the locals afford it?

No idea how the locals afford it.  However, every native Icelander was thin. Not a fat person in site.

Wherever we ate, dinner was north of $150. No appetizers, maybe a beer.

Breakfast was over $60. And it was pastries and coffee. Not a typical bacon and eggs denny's breakfast.

Grocery store runs were $100 for a few snacks and stuff. Our beer run at the national store for a 10 pack and another 6 pack was $58

http://www.sjavarpakkhusid.is/menu/1

This was a very typical typical menu. Not a fancy restaurant by any means. 1000kr=$8.36=£6.39

I'll put it like this, our food bill was greater than the lodging cost for the trip and my family aren't big eaters.

Edited by Dunnar

Wow!  That's crazy.  Sounds like an Icelandic pig farmer could make a killing!

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Wow!  That's crazy.  Sounds like an Icelandic pig farmer could make a killing!

Literally ... AND ... figuratively.  :D

Thanks for sharing Dunnar.

Iceland is known to be expensive for us too. I would like to go but, having been North in other places, i don't feel the pull quite so much. How did you feel about the Northern Lights? For many it's a bucket list thing. A colleague here went about 2 years ago, just to see the lights, and had a complete no-show. On that basis i guess you could count yourself very lucky.

2 hours ago, Pasanda said:

How did you feel about the Northern Lights? For many it's a bucket list thing. A colleague here went about 2 years ago, just to see the lights, and had a complete no-show. On that basis i guess you could count yourself very lucky.

For me, it was a bucket list thing.  It was THE reason I started in the north and worked my way south.  We were very lucky to see them.  In fact, we happened to be at the best spot of the trip (on a farm away from any cities) with the clearest evening of the trip.  So we were extremely lucky that all of that coincided. 

Also saw them a bit on the flight out there.  But something about seeing them from the ground with the stars.

I wouldn't go there just to see the lights because its not something you can schedule.

Pasanda likes this

Haven't been round much I know, sorry about that guys. Not that you have missed me, got some peace and quiet. ;)

Anyway, I am going to Iceland myself, just for a weekend break. First time traveling alone, saw an offer and thought fuck it, lets do it. What could possibly go wrong eh? Going on the 8th and coming back on the 11th, and includes a trip to see the Northern Lights and the Golden Circle. Packed some warm clothes! I'll let you know if I survive!

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Haven't been round much I know, sorry about that guys. Not that you have missed me, got some peace and quiet. ;)

Your absence was noted but easily explained away as the summer doldrums; this forum tends to be a lot quieter in the summer months (north hemisphere for any Aussies in the audience).  You were missed, but only because we were not aiming.  :D

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Anyway, I am going to Iceland myself, just for a weekend break. First time traveling alone, saw an offer and thought fuck it, lets do it. What could possibly go wrong eh? Going on the 8th and coming back on the 11th, and includes a trip to see the Northern Lights and the Golden Circle. Packed some warm clothes! I'll let you know if I survive!

I'll just pop over to your flat whilst you're out and nick anything not nailed down.  Thanks for the heads up.  :ph34r:  (did I use the terms correctly?)

p.s.  The northern lights are all too common and a bit overrated (to some of us).  Best wishes for good luck getting a clear night in which to view them.  This time of year can be a crap-shoot for that.

Edited by Elovia

13 hours ago, Jazz said:

Haven't been round much I know, sorry about that guys. 

Same here.  Underwent some major life changes.  I am separated and living in a new place.  Kids seem to be taking it in stride, I'm adjusting to my new normal.

Enjoy and let me know how it goes.  Especially the going by yourself part.  Very curious what you think about that and how it works.  I am still devoting a significant portion of my income to travel as that is something I enjoy.  However, my son is going to college and really doesn't care to travel.  My daughter is game for anything, but keeps a busy schedule.  So that leaves just me.

14 hours ago, Elovia said:

Your absence was noted but easily explained away as the summer doldrums; this forum tends to be a lot quieter in the summer months (north hemisphere for any Aussies in the audience).  You were missed, but only because we were not aiming.  :D

I'll just pop over to your flat whilst you're out and nick anything not nailed down.  Thanks for the heads up.  :ph34r:  (did I use the terms correctly?)

p.s.  The northern lights are all too common and a bit overrated (to some of us).  Best wishes for good luck getting a clear night in which to view them.  This time of year can be a crap-shoot for that.

Yeah you guys need to work on your aim more. Guessing losing your aim is a sign of old age? :D

Well la-de-da to those who think things that they get to see all the time is passe! Yeah I'm going by the "It would be great to see them but if I don't at least I get a good holiday regardless and its a bonus" mindset about it all.

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Same here.  Underwent some major life changes.  I am separated and living in a new place.  Kids seem to be taking it in stride, I'm adjusting to my new normal.

Enjoy and let me know how it goes.  Especially the going by yourself part.  Very curious what you think about that and how it works.  I am still devoting a significant portion of my income to travel as that is something I enjoy.  However, my son is going to college and really doesn't care to travel.  My daughter is game for anything, but keeps a busy schedule.  So that leaves just me.

Blimey, seems like you have me beat for life changes! Hope you adjust well, and that it was something you wanted as opposed to something forced on you.

Will do, very curious myself to see how it plays out. :D I too find it hard to find people to travel with as well. Decided that I had to go do it by myself or else I would never get to travel at all if I waited for someone to go with.

6 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Underwent some major life changes.  I am separated and living in a new place.  Kids seem to be taking it in stride, I'm adjusting to my new normal.

Really sorry to hear/read this.  Not sure what I can say to be supportive that isn't too terribly cliche.  I specialize more in snark so I'm sure I'll think of something inappropriate in the meanwhile.

Boag likes this

No worries guys!  Appreciate the support and understand we specialize in ball busting / snark. 

In all seriousness, this was about as clean a break as you can have.  While I am equally responsible for the state of the relationship, I did not choose this path.  But I know I will be better off in the long run.  We just didnt have a good marriage and ultimately there wasnt much I could do about it.  Takes 2 to tango.

Either way, everything is good and ultimately, I will be better off.  Complete freedom has its advantages :)

Elovia, Boag and Jazz like this

On 01/11/2019 at 6:36 PM, Elovia said:

Really sorry to hear/read this.  Not sure what I can say to be supportive that isn't too terribly cliche.  I specialize more in snark so I'm sure I'll think of something inappropriate in the meanwhile.

Also, sort of sorry to hear this...

You're missus is hot. Does this mean she's on the market?

Too soon?

Dunnar and Jazz like this

Well I'm all packed and boarding pass printed off ready for trip to Iceland tomorrow. Getting up at 4am to catch the train to the airport, hoping I got everything right and...

5 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Too soon?

Wait what? Bloody hell you work quick!

Pasanda likes this

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well I'm all packed and boarding pass printed off ready for trip to Iceland tomorrow. Getting up at 4am to catch the train to the airport, hoping I got everything right and...

Pics or it didn't happen.

10 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Too soon?

So is you're wife ... bird in hand worth two in the bush, so to speak.  Decent trade, I think.

Too soon, Bro?

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this

On 08/11/2019 at 2:28 AM, Elovia said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

So is you're wife ... bird in hand worth two in the bush, so to speak.  Decent trade, I think.

Too soon, Bro?

I already hate myself for making this mistake. It's true i'm usually the first to pick up on anyone else doing this. So i take the slight full in the face.

Dunnar likes this

Pics to prove it happened. Good times were had, will write more when I can get home and access a computer where this forum isn't blocked by the proxy for being a danger to humanity.

IMG_20191110_154253588.thumb.jpg.9ff70ae80c3786e7ed5628c929ec3e92.jpgIMG_20191109_144051684.thumb.jpg.9690504265633c172687095b6d070a17.jpgIMG_20191109_142922371_BURST001.thumb.jpg.bd56e1d618e5f6c26f1a6e1b9ee63142.jpgIMG_20191109_125447115.thumb.jpg.64d6b7f49de44c487d245b8f0f7c2d62.jpgIMG_20191108_153829756.thumb.jpg.364656efb257d5b0a8cc4c7eda953689.jpgIMG_20191110_131132855_HDR.thumb.jpg.810ac22a3563a8b24085fa2a2b0e8b9b.jpgIMG_20191110_133450720_HDR.thumb.jpg.1ce068148d73c1860ed2d165c5057c6e.jpg

Dunnar and Elovia like this