Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

D and D 1st Character

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I messed around with a few guys, tried to read all the rules about it, and settled on this.  As far as I know, this is not the standard way to make a guy, but the kid (GM) told me everyone is just using 27 points on top of the base 8 to do whatever they want.  So I went crazy with the stats.  Anyhow, I love the range, so I went from ranger, to fighter, then settled on a Forrest Gump War Cleric. 

https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/DiscoNinja/characters/10878237/builder#/home/basic

Honestly, I have no clue what I am doing.

Level 2 because they started last week.

Edited by Jag

Can't see the character without logging in, do need to create an account there but have not yet. Just wanted to ask though you do know that the cost doubles for each point above 13 right? So up to 13 is 5 points, then its 7 for 14 and 9 for 15. And you can't go above 15 before your racial stats add to them (so a gnome can have Intelligence 17 for instance because they have a +2 to Intelligence). Apologies if you already knew this and had already taken it into account, as I can't actually see your character to check what you have done.

Yes.  I understood that, but he told me these were the rules they were using.  so I duno haha.

It was not very fun for me, the kids had fun though.  I was looking for story progression and battle.  There was this deck of cards that forced people to draw and had random effects, one of the kids just wanted to be an idiot every 5 minutes because it was fun?  So I felt like there was a LOT of wasted time, as so much time just spent on this one kid messing around.  I duno.  I prob won't play with him again with those friends.

Jazz likes this

3 hours ago, Jag said:

Yes.  I understood that, but he told me these were the rules they were using.  so I duno haha.

It was not very fun for me, the kids had fun though.  I was looking for story progression and battle.  There was this deck of cards that forced people to draw and had random effects, one of the kids just wanted to be an idiot every 5 minutes because it was fun?  So I felt like there was a LOT of wasted time, as so much time just spent on this one kid messing around.  I duno.  I prob won't play with him again with those friends.

Yep, just letting you know the normal process if you didn't already and to clarify that I was reading it right about how they were making characters.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a well run game and it gets annoying when you get "one of them" type of players who need to derail the game and make it all about them. The card deck sounds like the Deck of Many Things, which is a magical item though I don't know if they were running it right or not.

Lasraik and Boag like this

It was the deck of many things.  It felt like that's all we were doing.  I did not really expect it to be well run, 15-year-old kid doing it for the 1st time, so it was mostly just for him to learn.  I think the hardest part of Dm can be managing people and giving them agency, but guiding them at the same time.

Boag and Jazz like this

13 hours ago, Jag said:

It was the deck of many things.  It felt like that's all we were doing.  I did not really expect it to be well run, 15-year-old kid doing it for the 1st time, so it was mostly just for him to learn.  I think the hardest part of Dm can be managing people and giving them agency, but guiding them at the same time.

Yep definitely. Keeping people under control while giving them the freedom to do what they want can be hard to pull off. I still struggle with it myself.

I really like the D and D beyond though.  I went ahead and got the PHB on that..was only 22 with a coupon code.  It makes managing the character very easy.  Great for new players to have it all right there on a tablet or small laptop.