Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

GoT Season 8

66 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jag said:

Well, 8-3 was epic.  Endgame and 8-3.  What a great show weekend!

I saw both yesterday ... about as entertaining of a day as I can imagine.  The cool thing was both lived up to the hype.

Only minor complaint was the picture quality of HBO seemed to be lacking.

Jag likes this

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I saw both yesterday ... about as entertaining of a day as I can imagine.  The cool thing was both lived up to the hype.

Only minor complaint was the picture quality of HBO seemed to be lacking.

Yeah, I get that it's dark.  They missed the mark between storytelling and visual effects with that.  The visual darkness got in the way of the story.

Although i watched a good quality version - like 4Gb, the darkness was still quite blocky. Quite offputting. Still. Shouldn't complain.

Jag likes this

I rewatched last night via HBO Go stream. Picture was much better. 

During a high demand broadcast like that, television providers compress the shit out of their signals. Complete bs, but whatever.

Second thing, any display is going to struggle with that many blacks and greys. Wish the director (and video game designers) would keep that in mind. 

Jag likes this

I watched the episode just today, and didn't really get what everyone was complaining about in regard to the darkness. It was definitely an issue when the battle first started, at the start of the episode, but it was fine a few minutes after the battle started.

My suspicion is that all that darkness drastically reduced the CGI budget, which might have been necessary considering how extreme the episode was.

Anyway, the episode was AMAZING in my opinion. There were definitely some "action scene" tropes, like characters showing up out of nowhere to help someone in peril, or insurmountable numbers of Wights seeming to disappear between scenes. Those minor gripes aside, I thought it was fantastic! :)  

Jag and Pasanda like this

One of the criticisms i've heard is the high amount of main characters who survived again and again, and were the last person standing, against literally impossible odds. It was just a bit OTT.

Posted (edited)

Well...I don't even know what to say anymore.  They lost me.  The storytelling has all gone to complete crap and they are just shoving the plot forward.

This really feels like one of those stories where there is just too much, in too many places, and it needs to be a book.  But we don't have a book, do we?

Edited by Jag

Posted (edited)

Which lover has gotten crazier ... Brienne or Gendry?

Which shocked you more ... Rhaegal or Missandei?

Who seems to be going off the deep end more ... Sansa or Daenerys?

Are Bronn and Jamie just trying to pick the winning side?

Why have the writers turned Jon into a complete dipshit?  He was worthless in the last battle.  Now he's blabbing to everyone about his heritage yet says he doesn't want the power that comes with it.

No wildlings, no targaryens, very few unsullied ... what does Daenerys have left?

Seems like a lot to wrap up in 2 episodes.  Just unfortunate they couldn't take the time and do it right.

Edited by Dunnar

Don't forget the anachronistic Starbucks coffee cup prop left in the final cut. :) 

31 minutes ago, Elovia said:

Don't forget the anachronistic Starbucks coffee cup prop left in the final cut. :) 

Wow!  Really good eye to catch that.  Too bad we all know you did not watch. :P

2 hours ago, Jag said:

Wow!  Really good eye to catch that.  Too bad we all know you did not watch. :P

You're right, I didn't.  But the damn show is inescapable because it is so prevalent in the newspapers.

Posted (edited)

So Jaime was BS'ing Ser Brienne, to make his return believable. Jaime will kill Cersei.

Hound Vs. Mountain. Hound will win

Arya doesn't need any more glory, but may get involved with HvM.

Either Tyrion or Varys will kill Danny. Tyrion seems less likely right now, but will feel super betrayed by her, when she sets Dragon on civilians.

Jon will end up on the Throne, with Sansa holding the North.

Place yer bets.

Edited by Pasanda

17 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

So Jaime was BS'ing Ser Brienne, to make his return believable. Jaime will kill Cersei.

Hound Vs. Mountain. Hound will win

Arya doesn't need any more glory, but may get involved with HvM.

Either Tyrion or Varys will kill Danny. Tyrion seems less likely right now, but will feel super betrayed by her, when she sets Dragon on civilians.

Jon will end up on the Throne, with Sansa holding the North.

Place yer bets.

So are they going with Danny is becoming a monster? I always thought she was and was hoping it would all come back on her at the end. I actually thought she might be the real BBEG, bitch was evil from the get go.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jag said:

She going mad.

Certainly looks like they are setting that up.  Her closest friend/adviser is dead.  Her lover revealed he was her nephew and has a better claim to the throne.  She has 1 child (dragon) left.  Her advisers are questioning her.  Sansa is working to undermine her.  And it appears Cersai is winning.

The problem is ... its coming too fast.  They built Joffrey over time and we grew to hate him.  They spent years building up Danny into being something different.

Edited by Dunnar

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Elovia said:

You're right, I didn't.  But the damn show is inescapable because it is so prevalent in the newspapers.

Besides, this isn't the 1st time something like this has happened.

SolidDapperBluegill-mobile.gif.e3f40a4446eb2d1f351e83db7d9555b1.gif

Edited by Jag
Jazz, Elovia, Dunnar and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, Jag said:

Besides, this isn't the 1st time something like this has happened.

SolidDapperBluegill-mobile.gif.e3f40a4446eb2d1f351e83db7d9555b1.gif

Omigod that made me laugh my tits off so much! I don't even know why its so funny but it is, ah thank you! Made my day.

23 hours ago, Elovia said:

Not sure why the cup was a surprise:

D55apFSUwAAmgqA.jpg

Lasraik, Jag and Elovia like this

I am pretty sure episode 6 is just the cops showing up and arresting everyone before a giant foot crushes John and the Iron Throne.

Pasanda and Elovia like this

1 hour ago, Jag said:

I am pretty sure episode 6 is just the cops showing up and arresting everyone before a giant foot crushes John and the Iron Throne.

Monty Python reference for the win.

I lol'd IRL

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

Monty Python reference for the win.

I lol'd IRL

To the sound of someone blowing a raspberry.

Another theory. Jon was killed by a Wight and then raised from the dead. Jon becomes the next Night King and the circle of Winter continues.

So maybe Sansa ends up Queen of the 7 Kingdoms?