Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Star Wars: The Last Skywalker

17 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

I am VERY glad they changed the release back to Christmas.

Palpatine's laugh.  Got me hyped!

On 12/04/2019 at 8:25 PM, Jag said:

Palpatine's laugh.  Got me hyped!

Figured this video was thread worthy.

I'm disappointed they keep going back to the old characters and cater to the fandom instead of doing something new.  They dug up Lando again... why?  Why don't they create new interesting characters and move away from the old ones?  A universe full of potential and they focus on the same 10 people for the last 30 years. 

Before Luke did all his crazy Jedi ninja shit he trained and trained.  Rey can do all this crazy Jedi ninja shit without any training? 

Dunnar likes this

I don't see it as much of a reach since Rey could do a lot of that before she was a Jedi type.  And now we know about Palp, could be Rey was born of the force like Anakin.  She has a teacher in Leia and a singular focus well beyond Anakin's.  I mean we are talking magic here, so best not get too caught up in what is/isn't feasible.  Lukes training before facing Vader was only a few weeks.  At the beginning of the Movie in ESB Luka can barely pull his lightsaber to himself, so there is the precedent at least.  And then it was only 1 year later for RotJ.

WTF - I am such a geek.

39 minutes ago, Jag said:

I don't see it as much of a reach since Rey could do a lot of that before she was a Jedi type.  And now we know about Palp, could be Rey was born of the force like Anakin.  She has a teacher in Leia and a singular focus well beyond Anakin's.  I mean we are talking magic here, so best not get too caught up in what is/isn't feasible.  Lukes training before facing Vader was only a few weeks.  At the beginning of the Movie in ESB Luka can barely pull his lightsaber to himself, so there is the precedent at least.  And then it was only 1 year later for RotJ.

WTF - I am such a geek.

I may be wrong since I only subjected myself to one viewing of the prequels (or whatever they are called now), but didn't Anakin train with Obi Wan?

32 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I may be wrong since I only subjected myself to one viewing of the prequels (or whatever they are called now), but didn't Anakin train with Obi Wan?

Yes. For many years.

15 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Don't get me started on the Force.  I have no idea what the Force can/can't do now.

17 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Before Luke did all his crazy Jedi ninja shit he trained and trained. 

We are entering the third film and Rey's skills are off the charts.

Consider it took 2.5 movies for Luke to acquire his skills ... he couldn't even defend against that droid on the Falcon the first time.  Anakin trained while growing up with Obi Wan.  Kylo Ren was trained by Luke, then later by Snoke.

Part of what made Star Wars so great was the natural progression of the characters.  You could see their growth and maturity.  Especially with Luke and his skills.  In SW, he had 0 skills, in ESB, Vader toyed with him, and finally in Jedi, he matured and was Vader's equal.

In this story, Rey figured it out for herself to the point where she was able to beat KR ... Luke and Snokes prize apprentice ... from the get go.

Posted (edited)

I am not defending, the new movies screwed up everything as far as I am concerned.  Eradicating all the old lore...worst thing they did.

However, the case can be made, that Rey, was already an accomplished fighter and acrobat before she even knew about the force.  Luke was a farmer, Anakin a child.  Rey was pushing her limits to survive and we see it from the start.  She was using the force even if she did not realize what it was.  Rey was a survivor not some pouty kid like Luke/Anakin.

Even Kylo was raised with privilege.  None of these guys had to fight at all before encountering their teachers.  Rey is different in that regard.

Edited by Jag

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I am not defending, the new movies screwed up everything as far as I am concerned.  Eradicating all the old lore...worst thing they did.

However, the case can be made, that Rey, was already an accomplished fighter and acrobat before she even knew about the force.  Luke was a farmer, Anakin a child.  Rey was pushing her limits to survive and we see it from the start.  She was using the force even if she did not realize what it was.  Rey was a survivor not some pouty kid like Luke/Anakin.

Even Kylo was raised with privilege.  None of these guys had to fight at all before encountering their teachers.  Rey is different in that regard.

Anakin was a slave forced into podraces that had people dying in them. 

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Anakin was a slave forced into podraces that had people dying in them. 

And he used those skills to pull off a Deathstar run!  haha

But yeah.

Edited by Jag

1 hour ago, Jag said:

And he used those skills to pull off a Deathstar run!  haha

But yeah.

Luke did, but I don't recall Anakin (pre-Vader) doing so.  Undoubtedly you meant Anakin used those skills to (unsucessfully) defend against a Deathstar run (thanks to Han's interference).

/nerd

On 4/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lasraik said:

Figured this video was thread worthy.

I'm disappointed they keep going back to the old characters and cater to the fandom instead of doing something new.  They dug up Lando again... why?  Why don't they create new interesting characters and move away from the old ones?  A universe full of potential and they focus on the same 10 people for the last 30 years. 

Before Luke did all his crazy Jedi ninja shit he trained and trained.  Rey can do all this crazy Jedi ninja shit without any training? 

The answer to every question is "money"

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

Luke did, but I don't recall Anakin (pre-Vader) doing so.  Undoubtedly you meant Anakin used those skills to (unsucessfully) defend against a Deathstar run (thanks to Han's interference).

/nerd

He blew up the droid ship in his own pseudo Death Star run!  He was 9 with a 14-year-old girlfriend murdering at least 35 people on a droid control ship.  Dude was a playa.  Do you know why Anakin killed all the younglings?  He didn't want Padme to find someone new.

Edited by Jag
Boag likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

The answer to every question is "money"

Exactly.  I haven't seen any old men with disposable income posting and bragging about building their new Lego Dreadnought.  Those nerds stick to the old school ships.

Edited by Jag
Dunnar likes this

2 hours ago, Jag said:

Exactly.  I haven't seen any old men with disposable income posting and bragging about building their new lego Dreadnought.  Those nerds stick to the old school ships.

... and I bet you they could tell you exactly which iteration of the Millennium Falcon that they built.  :D

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

... and I bet you they could tell you exactly which iteration of the Millennium Falcon that they built.  :D

Ohh! You've just reminded me.