Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Short break has turned into a long hiatus

5 posts in this topic

After being a little burnt out on MTG, in early January I decided to take a break from the game.  I don't even think I was burnt out on MTG, it was more being burnt out on the negativity in the "twitter mtg community" and some YouTubers (none of you reading this, of course).  Not sure why I allowed it to get to me so much, but it just kinda wore me out.

On New Years Day I played a game and decided to take a few week break.  Recharge.  Here we are in mid April and I haven't had the desire to pick up my cards to play or even sort them.  I have lots of cards to sort.  It even got the point recently that I considered following the path of @MTGZuby selling my collection, keeping only a few nostalgia sets and my decks.  My wife stopped me from doing that.  I think everyone has these periods of time that they take a little breather, but this is by far the longest break I've had. 

When you all are in a funk, how do you get out of it? 

JesGolbez likes this

I take frequent, yet short breaks from competitive formats where I have a lot of time, money, and pride invested in the outcome of every game and borrow decks from friends to play casually for a while. I also try to focus more on trading and judging tournaments versus forcing myself to sit through tournaments. When I play at all, it's mostly cube drafts and commander, some booster draft or sealed deck, and less modern or standard.

When I'm ready to jump back into constructed formats, I pick up a couple of my pet decks that consistently perform well and jam a bunch of warm-up matches with a couple friends in a casual environment (at someone's house or at the shop, but not in a tournament). We play a lot of face up games where both players have full knowledge of what's going on in the games and talk through plays to practice identifying and making the proper calls in situations. This helps to rebuild mechanical skills and confidence, along with a familiarity with any changes to the metagame and individual card choices in popular decks, all in comfortable settings to help facilitate learning. If there's a solid enough new deck in a format, I'll borrow or trade/buy into that deck to shake things up for myself and broaden my range a little. Worst case scenario, I relist the deck for sale after learning the strengths and disadvantages of the deck, and I'm out a little time (maybe a little cash if I wait too long to move the cards), but I've gained some firsthand experience and know what I need to change in my own decks and play patterns. 

Usually by the time a new set comes out I'm ready to at least draft a few times, and shortly after the new set there are shifts in the constructed formats that revive some interest for me. I hope this can be of some help to you as well. 

Lasraik likes this

I think selling a collection due to burnout is always a terrible idea. You never know when you are going to get back into the game. I mean, heck, I stopped playing paper magic in 2008 and didn't play a single game in paper until 10 years later, in 2018, when a store opened in my town.

Anyway, I've dropped out of the game for a couple months here an there in the past and the thing that usually gets me back in is a metagame shift, or a new format. Standard is a great format to get into after you've dropped out for awhile because it changes so much that, chances are, it's filled with completely different decks than when you left. That can definitely re-ignite my interests, which can then lead me back into the eternal formats that I prefer to play. :)

Lasraik likes this

I've been thinking about selling most of my collection for a while.  It's a little out of control.  I used to like having cards available for building decks or if someone I know needed something.  

Having breaks is always important, but not as important as deleting Twitter. Seriously, life is so much better getting rid of that garbage.

"Separation makes the heart grow fonder"