Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khunkao

Shauku, Endbringer

8 posts in this topic

I appreciated the help many of you provided with card advice in my "Esper" thread recently.  The Esper thread was actually in regards to a deck I've been toying with based on Shauku, Endbringer.

ShaukuEndbringer.jpg

I've been intrigued with the idea of building a deck around Shauku, Endbringer ever since I got her out of a Mirage booster pack oh-so-many years ago.  She's a powerful card with an equally powerful penatly.  The 5BB casting cost is really prohibitive, though, which is one of the reasons I've simply kept this idea in the back of my mind for so long rather than actively working to build a deck around her.

Recently, an idea struck me and I've built a prototype on TappedOut.  I've been play-testing it and it works really well against certain decks, but simply isn't consistent enough or fast enough for my liking.

3x Shauku, Endbringer

4x Puppet Strings

3x Chaplain's Blessing

3x Demonic Tutor

3x Boomerang

3x Counterspell

4x Dark Ritual

3x Go For The Throat

3x Mana Leak

4x Tribute to Hunger

3x Unsummon

4x Arcane Sanctum

4x Dismal Backwater

5x Island

4x Shambling Vent

3x Swamp

4x Tranquil Cove

I chose "Esper" (W/U/B) to use Blue to disrupt my opponent from getting into a stride before I can get Shauku onto the battlefield and White to gain life to keep me in the game & counter Shauku's penalty.  

As mentioned above, it works well against certain decks and it works "okay" against many decks, but it gets TROUNCED by good decks.  While I realize that this deck is essentially a "gimmick" deck, I really want to find a build so that even if its not winning, its at least competitive against the better decks.  I've been considering switching strategies a bit to build the rest of the deck around creating swarms of Eldrazi Spawn and Eldrazi Scion tokens as blockers and mana sources, but I'm still concerned about giving up too much ground before I'm able to get Shauku onto the battlefield.

So, what does everyone think?  Any ideas or strategies I should consider instead?

Lasraik likes this

That's a pretty neat idea, I dig decks like this.  And like you said, even if it's a gimmick deck sometimes it's fun to see it go off and run wild.  

Eldrazi Spawns are an idea for mana and blockers, could help out.  I've tried to use them before as token generating outlets and mana but sometimes it's hard to get them going in early game situations.  For this deck a couple of cards came to mind: Eternity Vessel and Fatestitcher.  With Eternity Vessel you could keep getting your life back and with Fatestitcher another way to untap Shauku.

200.jpg.c89280a8123d96320fa79e725aa6ed5743.jpg.316d21714f9df76bbc2946285ee94877.

M4cr0Dutch likes this

Those are sweet!

I talked to a good friend of mine who is a competitive MTG player, and he gave me some suggestions to go artifact-heavy and use the planeswalkers Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas & Tezzeret the Seeker.

The version of the deck I'm now experimenting with uses Elixer of Immortality, Batterskull, Sword of the Meek, Puppet Strings, and Thopter Foundry.  Was also suggested that I throw in Lingering Souls to keep low-level blockers in play...  I just stated play-testing it to try to figure out the best card combinations.

Otherwise, I'm still working the same general principle as above with Esper (W/U/B) using Blue for Control and White for life-gain.

Lasraik likes this

On 4/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, khunkao said:

Those are sweet!

I talked to a good friend of mine who is a competitive MTG player, and he gave me some suggestions to go artifact-heavy and use the planeswalkers Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas & Tezzeret the Seeker.

The version of the deck I'm now experimenting with uses Elixer of Immortality, Batterskull, Sword of the Meek, Puppet Strings, and Thopter Foundry.  Was also suggested that I throw in Lingering Souls to keep low-level blockers in play...  I just stated play-testing it to try to figure out the best card combinations.

Otherwise, I'm still working the same general principle as above with Esper (W/U/B) using Blue for Control and White for life-gain.

That deck would have been much, much cheaper to build about 2 weeks ago