Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Necrogen Mists and Shrieking Affliction

Question

rtr-76-shrieking-affliction.jpgmrd-69-necrogen-mists.jpg

If I have both of these cards on the battlefield and my opponent has 4 cards in hand, do they have to discard a card from Necrogen Mists, causing Shrieking Affliction to trigger?  Or does it depend on which card was played first? 

2 answers to this question

If a single player has multiple triggered abilities go on the stack, they go on in the order that player chooses. I was actually able to abuse that with Mono-Red Battlecry, which let me stack Battle Cry triggers with creature abilities that put tokens into play on attacking.

HOWEVER, I think there is a special circumstance here. Technically Shrieking Affliction won't trigger at all if a player has 4 cards in hand according to The Gatherer.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Shrieking+Affliction

2 Shrieking Affliction’s ability will trigger only if an opponent begins their upkeep with one or fewer cards in hand. The ability will check the number of cards in that player’s hand again when it tries to resolve. If that player has two or more cards in hand at that time, that player won’t lose life.

So, IF I'M READING IT CORRECTLY, which I might not be, Shrieking Affliction won't trigger at the beginning of upkeep if the opponent starts with 4 cards regardless. That certainly feels wrong, but it might be some intricacy in how it's worded or something, I don't know. *Shrug*

Lasraik likes this

That's what had me confused as well.