Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Portal 2 and bonding

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On the recommendation of a colleague, i've bought another copy of Portal 2 and have been playing cooperatively with my lad for the past week. We're having a real blast.

I've long been a fan of the Portal series and, to my senses, co-op play is the best of the best. I've probably mentioned many times that cooperative game-play is my 'thing' and being able to work on a game together with my son at the same time is just the best. The sense of achievement at working together toward a common and often seemingly impossible goal is very cool. We sit at 45 degrees to each other, so can turn to see each others screen, as well as being able to see each others POV in the game too. 

The levels are designed that you simply must work cooperatively to complete each and every one, and the actual level design is first class; requiring real thought to logic it out. There are a lot of levels, but i'm only half way through, so i could tell you how many. We've had around 5 hours game-play so far. I am also told that there are a world of after-market co-op levels to be had.

The experience has also told me that i am impatient and have ran out of patience with him a few times. It's taught me that i need to be cooler with him. I am frustrated that he insists on using a controller which, to my mind, severely limits and slows down his control. In spite of my suggestions, he refuses to use the mouse and KB. I feel i need to respect that. Even when it means levels can take far longer to complete.

I highly recommend this, and if you have similar co-op experiences with other games suitable for children, i'd love to hear about it. We've played and finished Brothers together years ago, and that was a similarly great experience.

Edited by Pasanda

Yes!  We love Portal 2 and all the hilarious accidental deaths as well as the challenge.  It really is a good time.