Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Puzzle Games

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone here play machine-logic puzzle-type games?  I picked up Opus Magnum at GoG's summer sale, and have been having fun with it.  This genre has been around for a long time.  I recall playing The Incredible Machine and others back in the DOS days.  I also have Spacechem by the same makers of Opus Magnum.

Thus far, the puzzles in Opus Magnum haven't been terribly difficult to solve.  The most intriguing part isn't necessarily solving them, but optimizing the solution to use fewer parts, or fewer instruction cycles.  The maddening thing is, once you've solved the puzzle, you're shown heuristics from other people's solutions (an online connection is required), but you're not shown their solutions so you have to guess or retry your solution to see if you can do as well or better than the others; you could if you search their solutions out on the internet, but where's the fun in that?

Usually there are components you must use; a limited tool set containing different ways of handling, moving, connecting, rotating, etc., the components to create a final form.  You use a crude programming language to time and sequence the actions; the controls are fairly easy to pick up and learn, but the challenge is in how you apply them.  Both Opus Magnum and Spacechem present the puzzles along with story interludes.  The stories are interesting, but their premise is more for context rather than provide meaning or hints to the puzzle solution.

Below are a couple examples.

The first one requires you to take one resource, use a converter to make a second resource, then combine the first resource with the converted resource..

Spoiler

5cfbfc16d7f8c_OpusMagnum-FacePowder(50G8272019-06-08-07-21-58).gif.9607a0ea8abaea7415b44c47f3a98a88.gif

The second one requires you to start with two resources and one reagent, transmute one of the resources into a third resource using the reagent, then combine two units of the third resource with only one unit of the non-transmuted resource into the final form.

Spoiler

5cfbfc28d005a_OpusMagnum-PrecisionMachineOil(150G76142019-06-08-10-11-03).gif.7dbaf16f56a3bc4763f11f4d11a0dcfc.gif

I know some of you are IT folks, and possibly programmers, so it would be kind of cool to share and compare solutions.

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

It's the kind of game i would want to take to a desert island with me to play for the rest of my life, but could not get up the motivation otherwise. I'm also extremely non-competitive and would feel no compunction to beat anyone else.

Edited by Pasanda
Elovia likes this

I have a bunch of those that are similar. 

Challenging, fun and some of them can be very informative. Had a chemistry one that you had to line up how the atoms bonded. I'm not a chemistry guy, so it was good for me.

I play solitaire on my phone every day. Similar to what you described. It can be tough to find a solution for one that you know is solvable. 

Elovia likes this

Those are fun.  I played a few with getting the object a to b and/or catapult engineering puzzle type ones.  I have not looked at the pure puzzle.

Elovia likes this