Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boag

World Cup

11 posts in this topic

I am in France right now and you wouldn't know it's here. Not a single place with a TV on has shown any matches.  I flipped on the TV the other night and couldn't find it. Seen plenty of random men's games going on but never the women WC. 

While I am here, can I lobby a complaint? I am sick and tired of hearing about equal pay with the ladies. I'm all for equality, but in this case the economics don't support it. It's pretty simple math: Men TV+advertising $ > Women TV+advertising $

I was of the same opinion until I learned it is not just about pay amount.  They are after equal treatment.  Like the men's team only plays on natural grass, the girls don't get the option.  The men get chartered flights, the women only get commercial flights.  The men get paid for every game they play, the women only get paid for the first 20 games after that they are playing for free.  There maybe more but these are the differences that I have found so far.  And it is not just the USWNT, Ada Hegerberg (she won the award for best female player) of Norway's national team is boycotting the World Cup, to protest against the inequalities.  Would be like Messi or Ronaldo boycotting.

Posted (edited)

Nah...I just watch the local high school boys games.  Same level.

Soccer, softball, basketball, or whatever.  I have never seen a women's team sport game that rivals the excitement of professional men.  I respect that they are amazing and their accomplishments are fantastic.  It just isn't as entertaining to watch, so I don't care.  It's not a rights issue, its about entertainment value.

Edited by Jag

On 6/14/2019 at 5:51 AM, Boag said:

Would be like Messi or Ronaldo boycotting.

Except it's not.  These guys transcend the sport, regardless of sex.

4 hours ago, Jag said:

I have never seen a women's team sport game that rivals the excitement of professional men. 

I prefer women's tennis and volleyball.

It's all about revenue. I agree that the women should get better flights and all that. But it's about revenue and budgets. Men's and women's have different budgets based on different and unequal revenue streams.

27 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

I prefer women's tennis and volleyball.

It's all about revenue. I agree that the women should get better flights and all that. But it's about revenue and budgets. Men's and women's have different budgets based on different and unequal revenue streams.

Women's volleyball, beach and 6 man is indeed entertaining.  But not for the reasons you think.  Tennis has a tention that has nothing to do with male/female.

I like watching soccer, male/female a good game is a good game.  The Chilean goalkeeper put on a great game against the US on Sunday.  The men flop so much now that it is getting harder and harder to watch.

I am not saying they need equal pay, but they could be treated alot better.  

Saw this on Yahoo today.    

"The women’s team’s games generated $50.8 million in revenue from 2016 to 2018 compared to the male team’s games which made $49.9 million, according to U.S. soccer’s audited financial statements obtained by The Wall Street Journal"

Of course this is just game revenue and not total revenue.  I would like to see what total revenue is for both of them.

I really hate penalty kicks.  An 85% chance at a goal does not equal a kick in the leg.

That is one area of soccer that really rubs me the wrong way.