Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Happy Solstice

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's the longest day of the year.  Yay!

Today, the sun rose at 2:57am, and will set at 12:47am, giving us a total of 21h 49m 36s of possible daylight.  And it is mostly clear and sunny out.

We are literally in the land of the midnight sun.  :)

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this

Thats cool and man are you up there.  I can't imagine. Do you ever get used to that? Not sure how it would be going to bed when it's light out.

What do you like better, 21h of light or dark?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Thats cool and man are you up there.  I can't imagine. Do you ever get used to that? Not sure how it would be going to bed when it's light out.

What do you like better, 21h of light or dark?

Yeah, I'm so used to it that experiencing anything different seems odd.  Many people do not ever get used to it and leave.  Light and dark have their own accompaniments.  When it is light, it is usually warm.  When it is dark, it is usually cold.  So when I take a trip to the Lower-48, and experience both warm and dark at the same time ... it just seems surreal.  There are coping mechanisms such as using blackout curtains when it is light out, and Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD) is a real thing so some people have "happy lights".  Maintaining vitamin D levels can be difficult without plenty of sunshine.

Speaking of the Midnight Sun ... we have a local semi-pro baseball team (the Alaska Goldpanners - the Alaska League) that hosts a midnight sun game, where the entire game is played around midnight without using any artificial light.  Quite a few tourists come up to see that, because I suppose that would seem surreal to them.  There are also lots and lots of activities around summer solstice.  We tend to be more solar-cycle-centric and celebrate the summer solstice and the fall equinox most heavily (e.g., the winter solstice is surrounded by other holidays).  There's lots to do outside in the summer.  Almost too much.  So it's good that winter comes around to give us a rest.  I just wish winter didn't last 6 months.  :)

Edited by Elovia