Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Browser Extensions

3 posts in this topic

There's a ton of browser extensions out there.  Some really handy ones and some pretty useless ones, too. 

Any that you all recommend using?  Just found ClearURLs that is super useful.

Elovia likes this

Thanks, I'll add that one to my list.  Other than that one, I use a small suite of extensions for Firefox (in no particular order, and I'm too lazy to provide links):

• AdBlock Plus
  • Ghostery
  • Mate Translate  ( <-- awesome translation on the fly for assistance reading forum messages by non-English speaking/writing members)
  • NoScript
  • Privacy Badger
  • Tampermonkey

As you can see, most of those are privacy oriented.  There was a recent Washington Post article about the proliferation of malicious extensions (read sometime in the last month or two) ... well, malicious in the sense that they compromise your privacy by including personal data harvesting code which they then sell on the market.  So one should carefully vet their browser extensions.

I have "FireShot" which is a screenshot extension I use to capture an entire web page in a single image. It used to be useful although Firefox has that built-in now so I don't need to use it as much.

I also have Adblocker, which might sound hypocritical coming from someone who makes money from ads, but I whitelist sites I support. Most major websites I use are whitelisted because their ads aren't too intrusive - banner ads and whatnot are no big deal, but I don't see how you can use Google at all without an ad blocker because 99 percent of the sites that show up in search results are flooded with obnoxious ads.