Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Eavesdopping technology

3 posts in this topic

"I swear i ain't been dropping no eaves".

Bit of a long story, but the point is to ask whether you've had any clear experiences with tech "listening" to your business.

About 4-6 weeks ago, i started getting very itchy bites all on my feet and lower calves - about 6-10. I knew they were insect bites, but mosquitoes don't tend to care which part of ones body they bite. They were also significantly itcheir than mossy bites. I started developing hypotheses about where they came from and quickly my favourite suspect was a sheeps-wool carpet in the lounge. I'm the only one who puts their feet on it, and no one else had any issues.

About 3 weeks ago, my mate came over to watch a film and sat in my spot, with his feet on the same rug.

2 days later I asked him via Whatsapp if he'd had any itchy spots. And indeed he had the previous day; also on his feet and lower legs. I hadn't discussed this with anyone else, nor looked into it until he'd confirmed my fears. We've also not had any insect problems since my last dog had fleas about 5 years ago. As soon as he had responded, on the same device i nipped into Amazon uk to buy something to sort it out. The Amazon landing page included a full page advert for flea-repellant. I can think of no valid reason for Amazon trying to flog me that product unless it had access to whatsapp conversations. I hadn't even discussed it with my wife yet - i was waiting to get the story back from my mate, before giving it to her to worry about.

So, 1) what do you think? and 2) do you have any similar stories?

10 hours ago, Pasanda said:

"I swear i ain't been dropping no eaves".

Bit of a long story, but the point is to ask whether you've had any clear experiences with tech "listening" to your business.

About 4-6 weeks ago, i started getting very itchy bites all on my feet and lower calves - about 6-10. I knew they were insect bites, but mosquitoes don't tend to care which part of ones body they bite. They were also significantly itcheir than mossy bites. I started developing hypotheses about where they came from and quickly my favourite suspect was a sheeps-wool carpet in the lounge. I'm the only one who puts their feet on it, and no one else had any issues.

About 3 weeks ago, my mate came over to watch a film and sat in my spot, with his feet on the same rug.

2 days later I asked him via Whatsapp if he'd had any itchy spots. And indeed he had the previous day; also on his feet and lower legs. I hadn't discussed this with anyone else, nor looked into it until he'd confirmed my fears. We've also not had any insect problems since my last dog had fleas about 5 years ago. As soon as he had responded, on the same device i nipped into Amazon uk to buy something to sort it out. The Amazon landing page included a full page advert for flea-repellant. I can think of no valid reason for Amazon trying to flog me that product unless it had access to whatsapp conversations. I hadn't even discussed it with my wife yet - i was waiting to get the story back from my mate, before giving it to her to worry about.

So, 1) what do you think? and 2) do you have any similar stories?

I think certain (most?) apps are listening.  Facebook owns Whatsapp so I don't trust it. 

Recently my wife and I have noticed that after we have a conversation about something we need to buy the ads start popping up for those products.  Even if we never searched for the product anywhere, there it is.  At my nephue's tattoo parlor he has an Amazon Echo that he uses to stream music in the shop.  We've talked about bands while the music is playing, and even if it's playing a totally different genre of music, it will start playing the band we just talked about.  It was playing country music (meh) and we talked about the new TOOL album coming out.  The next song was TOOL.

I've been making a concious effort to stay away from anything Google and Facebook.  Instead of using a google search, I use DuckDuckGo.  Ditched Chrome as well. 

Pasanda likes this

Yeah, I get weird stuff like this from time to time. I want to say it's confirmation bias, especially since I don't have any of those "smart home" devices and basically don't text at all.

The weirdest was when I had a pair of headphones break on me, after having been taped for months. I had a verbal conversation with someone that I needed to buy a new pair, and that I was going to stick with the exact model because I liked them so much, and then suddenly started getting targeted Amazon ads for Monoprice headphones - the very brand of the headphones I used.

I didn't actually mentioned the brand of the headphones in that conversation either.

But again, could be confirmation bias. It's possible I had received those ads in the past and skipped right over them without thinking about it, and only noticed it when it was relevant.

Aurian, Lasraik and Pasanda like this