Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

The Technomancer

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just picked this title up over at GoG for relatively low cost (on sale for US$6.99 as of this writing representing -65% from base price of US$19.99), and spent a little time playing this past weekend.  Players who prefer the Steam platform may find it there, too.

I understand this is a console port to PC, but it doesn't seem that bad of a port.  For graphic whores, it contains one of my pet peeves regarding "realism" and animation, which is that facial animation on human models during speech appears to be algorithm-based as opposed to hand-crafted ... so basically, the lips move in limited ways, but the rest of the face is woodenly animated if at all (e.g., eyes don't shift focus and faces rarely exhibit emotion).  The gameplay itself appears to be combat oriented.  I've only played through the introduction (twice) and a very little into the first Act.  While characters follow specific archetypes, players are free to develop their characters as they want by spending points in skill trees of the (four!) archetypes and other abilities ... three different weapon type/stances (2h-staff, dagger and pistol, or mace and shield), and the technomancer line which is akin to futuristic magic (or mutant powers, but that's getting ahead of the story).

And this video better showcases the game with actual in-game footage.

Some of you may find the RPG interesting.  Choices appear to matter (or so the spoiler sites claim).  Romance options are also available - in both genders if that is your thing (you do play a male character).

Bottom line:  It's worth a look at this price ... especially if you're hyped about CD Projekt's upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, but need or want a sci-fi RPG fix until then.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

Gotta say, it looks like my kinda thing. Thanks for the steer.

I've just dropped a year of both EA games pass and Xbox games pass. On top of the 178 unplayed games on Steam and several other big names on my gaming PC unplayed. So less buyin, more playin.

Posted (edited)

After leaving this review, I poked around the GoG site for information on other Spider titles (i.e., the publisher).  I found a couple others, circa 2014-ish, also on sale and which looked like similar play.  I snapped them up and will give them a go when I can get around to downloading and installing them. 

One of the titles (I'm at work and don't have liberty to look them back up at the moment), having "Mars" and "war" in the name, appears to be in the same geopolitical world as Technomancer but set at a later date (i.e., The Technomancer is a follow-up prequel).

Another looked more Game-of-Thrones-ish, but not necessarily in that specific universe.

Again ... possibly worth a look at these sale budget prices.

[edit to add now that I'm back home:  The two additional titles are ... Mars: War Logs ... and ...  Bound by Flame]

Edited by Elovia

I got Technomancer too. I had played Mars War Logs previously and I have to admit that almost put me off buying it, to the point that it was the discount that persuaded me to give it a chance. Technomancer is definitely starting off better than Mars, which I really wanted to like due to the setting but the gameplay in that coupled with the bait and switch at the beginning on the main character where the intro sequence is told by someone that could have been a interesting character only to immediately be presented with Bland Obnoxious Twatface as your main character whose introduction tries to make him look cool but just makes you really regret buying the game.

2 hours ago, Jazz said:

I got Technomancer too. I had played Mars War Logs previously and I have to admit that almost put me off buying it, to the point that it was the discount that persuaded me to give it a chance. Technomancer is definitely starting off better than Mars, which I really wanted to like due to the setting but the gameplay in that coupled with the bait and switch at the beginning on the main character where the intro sequence is told by someone that could have been a interesting character only to immediately be presented with Bland Obnoxious Twatface as your main character whose introduction tries to make him look cool but just makes you really regret buying the game.

That makes me want to play it now :)

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

Pardon my confusion and relatively lesser experience with both titles.  I'm having difficulty sorting the Mars War Logs (MWL) rant from the Technomancer bits.

Due to external factors, I've still not been able to download and install MWL in order to give it a try.  While Technomancer offers some means of customizing the character's looks (but not his voice), are you suggesting that MWL does not include this feature?

Edited by Elovia

3 hours ago, Elovia said:

Pardon my confusion and relatively lesser experience with both titles.  I'm having difficulty sorting the Mars War Logs (MWL) rant from the Technomancer bits.

Due to external factors, I've still not been able to download and install MWL in order to give it a try.  While Technomancer offers some means of customizing the character's looks (but not his voice), are you suggesting that MWL does not include this feature?

I don't recall that it does, which made it even more annoying. I apologise for the confusion, I do like a good rant now and again. :D

18 hours ago, Jazz said:

...the intro sequence is told by someone that could have been a interesting character only to immediately be presented with [Roy] as your main character whose introduction tries to make him look cool ...

I see what you mean.  Yeah, awkward intro.

MWL is clearly an older game, and the interface (commands and graphics) are sufficiently different ... generally less refined.

And the main character, Roy ... kind of a Dirty-Harry-wannabe.  Leads to cognitive dissonance in that the "tough, grizzled, combat-experienced" persona is not matched by the noobie weakness and starting from zero in skills..  Writing and dialog are ... lacking.   Too many cut scenes in the intro, and I wasn't sure how long I'd have to watch before I could actually play.  In general, it makes a poor first impression after having experienced the prequel.

Edited by Elovia

Just a bit of extra feedback ... semi-off topic ...

The game, Bound by Flame, looks like it might be fun.  Unfortunately, at least on my installation and system, there is a game stopping bug very early when a tutorial information box pops up and the game controls lock up, so you cannot dismiss or escape out of the popped up window.  That's a shame, really, since the character editor when starting a new game allowed at least more customization than the other two games mentioned earlier in this thread - you could select either a male or female character, and five different faces with five different hair styles from which to choose your character's look.  Heck, you could even rename your character - even though the game subtitles and voices of interacting NPCs still refer to you by the default name (/sigh).

[edit: n/m ... I sorted out the command to get past the pop up.  Still in intro but fun nonetheless.]

Edited by Elovia