Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Buying old sealed worth the money?

5 posts in this topic

The idea of buying old sealed packs is fun.  Nostalgia and potentially some expensive cards to pull because of the print runs not being nearly what they are today.

Do you ever buy old sealed packs? 

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Rarely. Some sets have some big money cards (worldwake). some are just expensive because of being out-of-print. That said, have fun and maybe save some for chaos draft

The problem with old packs is the price of the packs settle at about the same price as the EV of the cards inside them. So, while it's true that some sets have incredibly expensive cards, those cards are often found in incredibly expensive packs.

Dawnglare tracks the EV of sets, and you'll find that it's almost always lower than the price you'll pay for the sealed product.
https://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=sets

Lasraik likes this

It's getting more and more difficult to find older product at "openable" prices.  8 years ago, you could grab something older for a reasonable price with the chance of the goodies that set had to offer. Now, you pay as if almost every pack had those chase goodies. So I don't open older stuff like I used to, I still do it every now and again. But the BEST way to enjoy that older stuff is with a chaos draft.