Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Secret Lairs

5 posts in this topic

Welp, they've done it again. WOTC is selling direct to customers, bypassing Local Game Stores with this new product - Secret Lairs. They're basically like the Spellbooks, a small collection of cards (3 to 7) in a box, but what's unique about these is WOTC is using them to explore more stylized art forms. I actually think this is a cool idea, because it allows WOTC to do weird, unique art without people whining too much about it since the cards won't appear in packs. Naturally, since the art is more stylized, people are going to have more extreme opinions about it. For example, I LOVE the Dredge cards but don't find the "OMG Kittens" batch to be all that appealing. But it's purely optional - if you don't like an art style, you can just pass on it, so basically WOTC gets to be more experimental with art without people being to offended by it.

Here are all the drop, and the full article:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-recap-2019-11-25

Edit: Actually, Scryfall already has hi-res scans of most of the cards, so you can see those here: https://scryfall.com/sets/sld

i8OEfuWHY2.jpg

DJM4JZaywT.jpg

M7YTelcDPp.jpg

HkPJJnt8kh.jpg

RTKZLZisJe.jpg

RJRGhW5GxL.jpg

plw8Xfys2G.jpg

Another interesting thing:

The Bitterblossom drop is selling for $29.99. The cheapest Bitterblossom on the market is the Ultimate Masters edition, which sells for $37. So WOTC is printing Bitterblossom and selling it directly to consumers for less than the secondary market price, plus it's a fancy full-art edition.

Also, here are some larger/clearer images of some of the drops:

bitterblossom-dreams-mtg-secret-lair-drop-series-1536x1262.png

restless-in-peace-mtg-secret-lair-drop-series-1536x772.jpg

Kaleidoscope-Killers-secret-lair-drop-se

all-five-cards-in-omg-kitties-secret-lai

I have to laugh at the amount of physical waste, especially for ONE card and 4 tokens

This is a product for whales, and another cash grab. Yes, not for us, and not for LGSs. I get that they don't want to 'short supply', but this is also exploiting the FEAR OF MISSING OUT!

Yeah, I recorded a video about this yesterday and talked about how it's exploiting FOMO a little bit.

I don't see it any more or less wasteful than foils. Some people spend copious amounts foiling out their decks, and even though I would never spend that much, it's really no harm that they exist.

An considering Bitterblossom is cheaper than any secondary market printing, it's actually more budget-friendly. :P 

Remember when War of the Spark was released, and there were all those planeswalkers with Stained Glass art? A lot of people complained that they weren't released in paper, but it turns out, each Secret Lair will come with a random one. I guess it makes sense to put it in an product like this, since the whole point is to showcase experimental art.
EKz1VS0W4AAAWnE.thumb.jpg.790123684029a562419865eb03aa01cf.jpgEKz1RnfXsAAuIvU.thumb.jpg.ebfe2dd0e8dde8fd122123fb0a4e93b0.jpgEKz1So5XkAURxBo.thumb.jpg.e76c488efc3ede0cc666d69d42e0e574.jpg