Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Magic: Legends

2 posts in this topic

Hey look, it appears as though we have some overlap between the 2 groups who visit this forum. A Magic: the Gathering video game. It's an isometric action RPG set in the MTG multiverse. The gameplay, in my opinion, looks pretty solid, though I'm not sure how I feel about the deckbuilding aspect of the game. Instead of creating a character and grinding levels, you build a deck and then get fed abilities randomly as if you were drawing cards. I feel like that could be a serious pain in the ass, and I also imagine playing the game will involve staring are you ability buttons to see which card is going to be cast with each button. You see, after you use an ability (or cast a card) that ability disappears and is replaced by the next card/ability. I get they are trying to make the game feel like you're drawing cards from a Magic deck...but I personally would much prefer a more traditional RPG skill tree where the skills are based on Magic cards. I feel like people outside the Magic community would appreciate it more, and it wouldn't less my own enjoyment when I create a Rakdos mage and fling Lightning Bolts and Dreadbores.

That's interesting.  The devil is always in the details.  If they develop the game too rigidly to the MTG rules, the game may only appeal to a niche audience.  On the other hand, they risk alienating not only their base audience, but they also may violate CRPG norms and alienate that audience.  To be successful, they'll have to develop with both audiences in mind, but risk losing both by not capturing and mixing the essence of both genres well enough to satisfy both audiences.

I've played a few games where card-based combat was implemented, and that mode is comletely foreign to me.  I'd rather circumvent that part of the game if allowed as an option.  Just my opinion.  I've never given much stock to the belief in predetermined fate, and card-based combat in a video game suggests just that ... especially if the card order in a deck is fixed or not able to be adjusted in response to changing conditions as new information presents itself.

YMMV

Edited by Elovia