Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Of Orcs and Men

6 posts in this topic

Been playing this since I picked it up on sale over at GoG (Chinese New Year sale: $2.99 sale price vs. $14.99 normal price) late last week.  I don't know how far into the main story that I've accomplished, but it has been well far enough to feel like I've gotten my three dollars worth of entertainment.

The game has interesting mechanics.  You play as both an orc and a goblin working together as a duo (when you control one, the other is controlled by AI), and you can switch between them at will.  You can slow down time in combat so you can make tactical decisions on which skills to use (and queue) for both the goblin and orc.  The two characters have vastly different skills and abilities, but they complement each other well.  The goblin is a sneaky rogue assassin type, whereas the orc is melee brutal.  Most scenes thus far have involved making their way from one end of a map or path to an objective at the far end ... the tricky part is the two cannot be separated very far or progress stops until you catch the lagging one up to the lead.  There is a lot of gratuitous combat, often with large numbers of enemy combatants.  To give your characters a sporting chance, you have to utilize all of their available skills ... including using the goblin to assassinate selected targets from stealth to whittle down the initial enemy numbers.  While this is an obvious console port, it is easily played with mouse + keyboard.

The story seems like it is Anime-fodder but without the Anime cartoon graphics.  The voiced characters present wildly different personalities ... many of which are stereotypes commonly found in Japanese cartoons.  Oh yeah ... and lots of gratuitous f-bombs among other curse language in voiced dialog ... like it's done to be edgy or something (really?  titillation from an f-bomb and the occasional sh*t?).  It's annoying sometimes, but only if you're not into that sort of thing.  Minor graphical glitches can be found, but they're not terribly too distracting ... not that I'm an apologist for the developers.  Lots of cut scenes interspersed with player-controlled activities. 

Launch trailer ... mostly showing in-game footage ... albeit all out of order (and relatively clean dialog):

Although you won't pick it up from the launch trailer, the goblin is named Styx, and he has at least two sequels to his name:

• Styx: Master of Shadows ... and
  • Styx: Shards of Darkness

Both of these are also currently on sale, and after a cursory glance, they look to be more stealth-type survival in the fashion of the original Thief series.  I picked them up as well while they're on sale seeing as how I'm enjoying this first title.  And way back in the day, I really enjoyed and played the heck out of the Thief series.  We'll see how that goes ... but for now, I'm enjoying this one as a cheap, entertainment ride.

Edited by Elovia

Where do you find the time!!!! What's your secret?

Thanks for sharing. Not really me, but appreciate seeing it. From the trailer you'd be forgiven for thinking there was a human female as a main character. But you don't mention her at all?

Also, the breasts don't bounce enough, the waists are wasp-like enough, the eyes aren't saucer sized enough,  and the weapons aren't bigger-than-the-wielder enough, for it to be anime

Boag likes this

7 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Where do you find the time!!!! What's your secret?

Thanks for sharing. Not really me, but appreciate seeing it. From the trailer you'd be forgiven for thinking there was a human female as a main character. But you don't mention her at all?

Also, the breasts don't bounce enough, the waists are wasp-like enough, the eyes aren't saucer sized enough,  and the weapons aren't bigger-than-the-wielder enough, for it to be anime

Yeah, as I wrote earlier ... the story is anime fodder without the cartoon graphics.  It isn't anime, but the script could have been written for one.

Graphically, the game seems like it was produced primarily for a non-English-speaking audience.  The lipsync to the voiced dialog reminds me of a foreign film overdubbed in English (especially the budget Japanese monster classics from the early 1970s) ... the dialog stops but the lips keep moving ... or vice versa.

I haven't progressed far enough along to meet the women depicted in the trailer.

The basic story goes something like this:  make your way deep into enemy territory, rescue a damsel imprisoned in a tower, meet up with the resistance, and kill the human emperor.  I'm still in the first phase, possibly the beginning of the second.

Again, it's an inexpensive diversion.  How do I find the time?  /looks out the window ... Outside temperatures have been well below zero F (in the minus 20s and 30s) for the last several weeks.  Going outside to play is just not as fun as it might seem at these temperatures.  I don't watch TV because I like to keep my mind busy ... which I do by gaming or other computer-related diversions.  It's what I do.  Lots of down time this time of year.

Edited by Elovia

I had seen this game around, considered it but just never appealed enough to make me want to pick it up. Hmm seems to have matched up to my expectations there from what you say.