Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

How do you describe your hobbies to others?

12 posts in this topic

Subject line question really ...

How do you describe your hobbies to others who may not share them?

For example, do you shamefully - or proudly - admit you like to play video games, or do you avoid the subject altogether?  Do you substitute in other less-judgementally neutral hobbies such as "hiking, biking, or camping outdoors"?  (note: they're not full time exclusive)

When a co-worker asks what you did last weekend, and you spent it wallowing in your virtual-digital slime pool - whether on some elaborate MMO raid, exploring the galaxy one planet at a time, attempting to slay an evil Sith Jedi Master (redundant, I know) in a light saber duel, or trying to survive solo in a hostile virtually frozen landscape - do you paraphrese-quote The Brain and explain somewhat melodramatically that you "did last weekend what you do every weekend, Pinky ... try to take over the world!" ... cleverly passing your benign mental affliction off with humor?

Honestly curious how you and  others treat the subject in your individual/collective social circles.

Pasanda likes this

I used to not tell anyone except friends that i gamed. Kept it completely quiet at work, except to a few who i used to actually play DAOC with (in fact, they introduced me to DAOC and help level my first char). As i've gotten older, a few things have happened. 

1. I care less about what people think.

2. I've stopped reaching higher in my career, and am not concerned about any perceptions of gaming in a professional sphere.

3. Gaming is cooler and more appreciated generally (in line with geek-cool and nerd-cool).

4. More people are playing and therefore find it acceptable.

P.S. Loved Animaniacs.

Boag, Lasraik, Dunnar and 1 other like this

I have always admitted to gaming when asked.  But I don't get into alot of details, unless it is a fellow gamer or in most cases a parent asking about details for his/her kid that games.

Elovia and Pasanda like this

On 2/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, Pasanda said:

1. I care less about what people think.

People having perceptions of me because I game is their problem, not my problem

Pasanda and Elovia like this

I don't really have any issue telling people what I do in my free time. Though when it comes to Magic, I'll usually gloss over the details and just say "It's a card game," not because I'm embarrassed by it but mostly so I don't have to spend 10 minutes explaining to them what it is.

Lasraik, Pasanda and Elovia like this

On 2/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

I don't really have any issue telling people what I do in my free time. Though when it comes to Magic, I'll usually gloss over the details and just say "It's a card game," not because I'm embarrassed by it but mostly so I don't have to spend 10 minutes explaining to them what it is.

Same, I usually say it's a card game just because I don't have the patience to explain it. 

Elovia likes this

I told people at work my larping was "Wizarding" since that was about the level they could get. I explained it as kind of like re-enactment. I still don't think they understand it.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, Jazz said:

I still don't think they understand it.

Mate. Nobody understands it.

On 05/04/2020 at 0:14 PM, Pasanda said:

Mate. Nobody understands it.

Your lack of faith disturbs me... You totally would love it, I know it.

9 hours ago, Jazz said:

Your lack of faith disturbs me... You totally would love it, I know it.

(Secretly, you're quite correct).

Publicly, tut.. nerds. 

Elovia and Jazz like this

On 07/04/2020 at 5:02 PM, Pasanda said:

(Secretly, you're quite correct).

Publicly, tut.. nerds. 

Oh publicly yes, nerds all of us. Filthy filthy nerds! :D

Elovia likes this

On 2020-03-30 at 5:14 PM, Lasraik said:

Same, I usually say it's a card game just because I don't have the patience to explain it. 

Same here for MTG.

i am fine to drop that I play video games. Most people also end up saying “me too!”

Elovia likes this