Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Covid-19 and you

47 posts in this topic

Its been about 50 days since we have been on lockdown and it seems cabin fever has set in for a lot of folks.  Starting to see a lot of folks easing up on restrictions and not being so worried.

Golf courses are still open, so that is nice.  Unfortunately the weather still thinks its early March rather than late April.  Its interesting that the rules are set up by county commissioners in conjunction with the county health department.  For some reason, some courses can't sell beer or food.  Some counties won't let more than 1 person in a cart, even if you drive to the course together.  That is just the tip of the iceberg of some of the lunacy you see.  I'll say this, seeing this whole thing play out, it has really helped to reinforce my views on limited government behavior, rules, laws, etc.

I'm surprised you cannot play MTG over a video conference connection. Probably just because i don't know the game i guess.

You still got golf courses open? My dad has been complaining because they closed them over here.

16 hours ago, Jazz said:

You still got golf courses open? My dad has been complaining because they closed them over here.

I went yesterday.  They clean the carts really well.  They put pool noodles in the hole around the flag sticks, so nobody touches the sticks.  Outside of that, golf is outside and limited to 4 people gathering anyway.  Clubhouses are either closed or extremely limited, depending on the county.  Unfortunately, mother nature thinks its March, not end of April.  

On 4/27/2020 at 10:05 AM, Pasanda said:

I'm surprised you cannot play MTG over a video conference connection. Probably just because i don't know the game i guess.

You can, some people play via skype but it just isn't the same imho

Pasanda and Oktayne the Red like this

I tried playing over skype. More hassle than it's worth. My buddy kept walking away, helping wife and kids. Which is awesome and all good, just kind of a drag when I have nothing to do but wait. He'd be gone for 15-20 mins, we'd forget where we were, kind of a clusterf. You gotta set it up right.

We've been talking about getting together for a real game soon. Just be smart and clean about it. I dunno.

Pasanda likes this

Just checkin' in. I've been finding work under these conditions far more challenging than i was expecting. I'm exhausted by 5pm most days, and still feel like i'm doing lees work than i was back in Feb.

Elovia likes this

I worked remotely after my relocation (mandatory requirement) and didn't like it all that much.  I found I was much more productive actually going in to the office even if there weren't others there.  There were too many distractions at home, and I didn't feel like I ever really got away from work even in off hours.  So now I go in along with a small handful of others, and we take all the precautions such as socially distancing and sanitizing surfaces.  I prefer having two separate environments:  work and home.

Boag likes this

I have been working from home for years.  It is a mindset otherwise you risk feeling like you are at work all the time.  I try to separate my work space from my place space and that seems to help.

Friends and family are going good.  Ohio has been slowly reopening.  Its a mixed bag.  Some folks aren't doing anything different and continuing life as normal.  Others are still holing up and not doing much.  I personally feel like the situation is going to be fluid for quite some time and we need to learn to live with it.  But that's just me.

Boag likes this

So school is about to start and for those of us with kids how are you handling it? 

My two will be staying home and doing a virtual school.  I just don't see how they can make the schools safe enough to keep it out.  It will get into the schools and spread.  I give schools til Labor Day.

Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

Traditionally, schools are germ factories.  So I agree, it'll take massive changes to keep disease transmission low.  And the little ones are likely to bring something home for grandma.

To live the apocryphal curse ... we live in interesting times.  Side note: that apocryphal curse is traditionally attributed to have a Chinese origin, but no record of such has ever been found.  I'll just stop there so as not to offend any resident conspiracy theorists.

Edited by Elovia
Boag likes this

There have not been any school closings in my area, yet.  Although there has been several groups of kids and teachers sent home for 14 days. 

The teachers seem to be embracing the virtual learning and as with in person classes some teachers are better than others.  My two are doing good with it so far, even though there has been a learning curve.  The school district has already made changes to the virtual classes by decreasing the number of virtual students in the class down to 20 or less.  Which is actually a lot better than the normal 30 or so they had in each class in past years.

My youngest is actually participating more in class than he did last year.  He is very anti-social, like dad and only participated when made to by the teacher last year.  So far this year he is raising his hand to answer questions whenever the teacher asks the class.  

Stay safe.

Elovia likes this

So:

1. US Protests saying the social distancing violates human rights,

2. 5 million Muricans infected 2 weeks ago. 

Dunno 'bout youse guys, but I'm seeing a connection

Boag likes this

We're just gaining herd immunity the  hard way ... in true 'murican fashion ... kicking and screaming about our rights.

Pasanda likes this

I protest ... I have a right to catch Covid-19 if I want it.  Damn gov'mint keeping me from catching the damned disease.

:D

In other news ... schools were opened ... aaaaaaannnnd now they're closed again.  Waste of time.  Should have gone straight for online teaching from the start.

Edited by Elovia
Boag and Pasanda like this

Our schools just opened too. My Sons first day today. Not quite sure what to think.

So, and for an out there view. I've not been too shy to share my "too many human beings" view. Unfortunately, i doubt even Covid will make the slightest dent on the irony that we are the really nasty virus on this planet. It's a real shame that it seems to be worse for ethnic races - I wonder if we would have sat up more if it had been worse for Caucasian races?

So, on the basis that Mother Nature failed to wipe out the scourge this time... What's next? When will she succeed?

Boag and Elovia like this

I guess it could be a asteroid, aliens, virus or ecosystem.  But I put my money on us to kill us off.  Humans are just too human (stupid/greedy) to not do something and kill most/all of us off.   Technology was too slow or primitive to allow one or very few people to do it but it keeps getting closer all the time.

Pasanda likes this

I've advocated for a long time that viral or bacterial agents will eventually kill off all humans.  We and our immune systems are relatively slow to react to the much faster ability of biologic pathogens to evolve.

That is, unless Boag's theory is correct ... which it does have merit.  In recent decades, my faith in people to select wise leaders has fallen to new lows.  It only takes one dumb-ass in the White House or the Kremlin to push the shiny red button that will assure mutual destruction.  I grew up during the cold war, so that is my frame of reference.  Just as viable are the ideas that some jihadist terror organization (or even a socially adverse individual) will make a biologic pathogen in their garage and release it upon the world; with proliferation and easier access to technology, this becomes a more real scenario.

Anyone remember the anthrax scares right after the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the US?  Biologic terrorism is still a very real threat today.

Edited by Elovia
Boag likes this

My daughter is a sophomore in high school.  She is on a hybrid mode, 2 days on, 2 days remote, Fridays are full remote.  But she has volleyball practice every day and games.  They are limiting spectators and all non players have to wear masks.

My son started Ohio University and is full remote, for now.

Boag likes this

I watched a BBC documentary last Sunday on Extinction. There are theories from people who know about such things that point to HIV, SARS and now possibly Covid-19 originating from species brought out into the open due to their natural habitats being destroyed by us. Another delicious irony.

https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=G0902430

Elovia and Boag like this