Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

The Move ...

10 posts in this topic

... is on.  Going silent for a while.  Maybe I'll bring back pics.  It could happen!

Boag likes this

I arrived (more like survived) and have a monstrous pile of boxes to unload.

Internet will get enabled later today, but I won't have my computer set up for several more days until I rebuild my desk and the new office space is set up and arranged.

Pics forthcoming.  I took a few along the way.  I'm accessing this site with my phone, and unfortunately I'm not sufficiently tech savvy to post pics here with it.

Boag likes this

Posted (edited)

All good bud ... I was able to get a picture of you moving into your new crib.

01284290.jpg.babc6b26b717f4362d4a7ca282ce5143.jpg

Edited by Dunnar
Elovia, Boag and Pasanda like this

I hope it worked out well fella. Look forward to the pics. It took us 3 years to finish unloading all the boxes when we moved here. Nothing to do with the number of boxes either. Also, one of the first boxes unpacked would have been the computer. I'm ashamed to call you my Internet buddy!

Elovia likes this

This is Echo-Two calling Echo-One, two tangos are a go, repeat two tangos are a go. Good luck Charlie-Boy, recommence communications when the flamingoes smell the tangerines!

Boag and Elovia like this

Posted (edited)

OK ... now things are starting to get right in the world.  I have finally (mostly) set up my computer and office at my new home.  Sure, it's just a spare bedroom with a desk, but gosh darn it, it's my happy place.

So I promised pics of the move ... I'll hide all images in spoiler tags to help with page loading (dunno if that works, but it sounds good).

First, the route ... My wife and I traveled from Fairbanks to Haines (~651 miles) in one long day of driving.  From Fairbanks to Delta Junction, Alaska, we traveled on the Richardson Highway.  Then from Delta Junction to Haines Junction, British Columbia, Canada, we traveled on the Alaska-Canadian Highway (aka the ALCAN Highway).  We passed through Yukon Territory, Canada between the US border and British Columbia, Canada.  The ALCAN is notoriously rough riding and poor road conditions throughout.  Some spots are ok where you can drive the speed limit (55 mph or 90 kph depending on which nation), but at some stretches, 25 mph is much too fast if you want your vehicle to remain intact.  From Haines Junction to Haines, we traveled the Haines Highway (wonderfully descriptive, don't you think?)  We spent the night in Haines and then continued on to Juneau the next morning (more on that later).

The day was sunny and warm ... a good day to travel.  And with COVID precautions in place (general prohibition against non-essential travel), there wasn't very much traffic at all.  I took the lead in a U-Haul box truck while my wife followed behind in my GMC truck.

Spoiler

The start of the ALCAN ... between Delta Junction and Tok Junction, Alaska.  There are several stretches where the road is straight for miles like this ...

20200502_090658.thumb.jpg.2e627c4ee517059eea35feb3a26c31c7.jpg

(quasi-legal camera shot.  I was stopped but operating a cellular device while the motor was running.)

The road was a little rough ... ok, a lot rough ... between Tok Junction and the Canadian border; it was very bad on either side of Northway, Alaska.

Spoiler

This is what happens when Canadian Border Patrol takes an interest in what you're hauling.  It only set us back about 3 hours and I had to forfeit a rifle that, according to Canadian law enacted the day before our trip, was made illegal to possess in Canada (who knew? DAMNITALTOHELL)

20200502_134047_HDR.thumb.jpg.6f47fa09071f24323ab3b66207b5190e.jpg

The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful.  And we arrived in Haines, Alaska, much later than originally planned.  Upon re-entry to the United States, the US Border Patrol welcomed us back to American and together we commiserated how much our experience in Canada sucked.  By this time, the weather had turned overcast and rainy (typical south-coast Alaskan weather).

You may ask ... "hey Elovia, I thought you said it wasn't possible to drive to Juneau."  It is true that Juneau (Alaskan state capitol) is not on the road system.  The only way in is by boat or air.  The next leg of our journey was, as my wife refers to it, our dream Alaskan cruise.  We drove ourselves and our vehicles on the Alaskan Marine Highway System (AMHS, aka the Alaskan ferry system).  We took the ferry.  But we had some time to kill while waiting in Haines ...

Spoiler

The eulachon fish were running (aka hooligan or candlefish) ... They're a delicacy in some households (and cultures) ... not mine.

20200503_114037.thumb.jpg.a633db85aa34d32450ada86d81ebc7a5.jpg

Obligatory waterfall shot ...

Spoiler

It was raining lightly, hence the lack of clarity ...

20200503_114713.thumb.jpg.ceddcb43c544d99e18d59d8a111f976c.jpg

... and another up closer ...

20200503_125551.thumb.jpg.51743c8159f3f8fdac81e53480ddd0d4.jpg

Haines, Alaska is quite scenic. 

Spoiler

Upper Lynn Canal ... if you look close, you can see our ferry incoming ...

20200503_132752.thumb.jpg.7763f6aece68e440fc97d7c0c1e02201.jpg

Our ferry, the MV Tazlina ...

Spoiler

Ain't she a beauty?  Vehicles are transported on the lower deck within the hull.

20200503_134106.thumb.jpg.67e4e2c2fbb12be51c34644dd49cb568.jpg

And finally, the weather in Juneau this past week has been uncharacteristically sunny and warm.  The leaves on the deciduous trees will soon appear, probably this coming week.

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar and Boag like this

Great pics. Thanks Elovia. 650 miles in one day is a helluva long day. Think i might have done half of that once.

Must have been a real bummer crossing borders, just to get back and have your stuff taken. Can't you get the rifle back?

Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Can't you get the rifle back?

No.  It (technically) was illegally brought onto Canadian soil and therefore subject to forfeiture.  They could have taken everything.  I think they were lenient because the law making the rifle illegal came out the day before our trip, and the agents had to double check to verify what they needed to do.  It was new to them, too.  I was actually given three options: forfeit the firearm, turn around and take the firearm with me (not an option), or leave it with them for up to 30 days and retrieve it when I next pass through that crossing (not an option - it was a one-way trip and I don't plan to return back that way anytime soon).  In order to catch the ferry in Haines, I had to ensure I reached the US border by midnight (the border is closed from midnight to 8am), so delay was not in my interest.  The next ferry out of Haines would be five days later.  Forfeiture was the quickest and easiest option.

Besides ... I can get another one.  This is 'merica after all.