Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Wired Article re: MTG Finance

4 posts in this topic

I must have missed it when it was first posted, but I read the Wired article about MTG finance and insider trading. 

The Stockbrokers Of Magic: The Gathering Play for Keeps

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but some of the information in the article caught me off guard.  Especially the insider trading and shady MTG finance practices of "community" members. 

Affinity for MTG likes this

Oh yeah, I read that article, there is definitely a lot of bullshit happening behind the scenes. Rudy also posted a video recently about people emailing him leaks for Double Masters in February. He even lists some cards in the set that haven't been spoiled yet. I guess we can't confirm that the cards he shows will be in the set, but if they are, yikes!

Lasraik likes this

If that list is true it's good news, at least.  If this kind of insider trading is this common, imagine what else goes on behind the scenes with some of these more popular content creators.

Yeah, the one positive thing I took from the video is he said he gets so much fake information that he doesn't know what's true or what isn't until after the fact. So in this case, he didn't know it was true until i twas announced, and we still don't know if the list is true. So that's good I guess. However, if a content creator or trader made a connection with a reliable source, they'd have a constant stream of inside information. And considering we see these mass buyouts and sellouts days before announcements all the time, there is definitely some shady stuff happening behind the scenes.