Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Cowards

3 posts in this topic

That's the word that comes to mind when I heard the decision to cancel the college football season.  Spinless, scared cowards.  There is no logical reason to cancel the season now.  Maybe if more data comes up or if something changes, but not today.

Don't tell me they will play in spring.  What will change between now and then?   Do they expect the virus to go away?  Do they expect players to play 2 seasons in one calendar year?  That is insane.

Don't tell me its for the players safety.  Am I supposed to believe that players will be safer left to their own devices rather than a regimented routine with like minded others preparing for a goal?

This decision was made by a small group of people who ignored the data (18-24 year olds with no preexisting conditions are at a minimal risk, roughly equivalent to the flu), who ignored the players (they want to play), who ignored the coaches (they want to play).  How many college athletes have been hospitalized with covid?  I would sure like to know that number.  If you work through the math of every reason you can think of NOT to play, it ends in the same place ... fear. 

What about those players that are uncomfortable and don't want to play.  The answer is simple, let the sit.

The self inflicted economic calamity that is about to hit colleges will be devastating.  Not just to football or athletics, but to the colleges themselves.  This will have a vast domino effect with numerous unforeseen consequences.

Do these people even understand the repercussions of their decision to the people they made the decision for?  As an athlete, you put in work.  Day in, day out, you work.  You prepare your body, you prepare mentally, you bond with team mates.  Every year of athletics is a precious, irreplaceable gift.  Its value is priceless and you can NEVER get it back once its taken.  How many of you played sports, even high school?  Think back if you had a season wiped by a decision somebody else made without your input because they were afraid.  I feel terrible for these kids.  Their opportunity to compete, to fail, to succeed, to live the life they choose has been taken away.

Cowards.

Elovia likes this

Ummm ... welcome back.  Has this whole Covid pandemic thing got you down and feeling irritable?  That's ok.  Let it all out here.  You're among friends*.  :)

* friends = anonymous strangers on the internet who will make fun of you for your strongly held beliefs and opinions.

Boag and Dunnar like this

lol.  I am always here, this is one of my opened tabs.

I did have to get that off my chest, so thanks for listening :) 

Elovia likes this