Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

The End is Nigh... kinda.

9 posts in this topic

Due to lack of traffic (and an overgrown database that requires a bigger hosting plan), KitchenTableMTG.com will be closing the site next month and moving to Discord.

Looking back 4 years ago, I thought there would be more of a demand for a casual MTG community without the toxicity of a place like reddit.  Even though the site didn't survive, it was a fun ride and worth a try.  Thank all of you who have supported the site over the years, I can't tell you how much it means to me personally.  Even though I've had a few negative experiences, the majority of it has been positive. 

The Discord server is new, so it's a clean slate.  I'm hoping someone will be willing to help with the setup and such, and we can keep the core group of members together.  I'm open to ideas and I'm not too familiar with Discord, so the help would be greatly appreciated! The invite link is: https://discord.gg/YEEXCy   https://discord.gg/Y43tdBq

I would like to revive FridayMTG there as well to help content creators.

On to the next chapter, I hope to see you all there and continue the fun.

Aye, it's a shame to see it go. I had high hopes too when I stumbled upon it last year or whenever. It sucks to see forums dying left and and right in general. Thank you folks for all the content videos and stuff. Still glad I found the place even if it was short lived.

Personally, I could take this as an omen that MTG in general is dying out for old farts like me who want to just play for fun. It is so hard finding a decent game anymore.

Or has it been dead, and I'm just in denial and/or oblivious? 

On 9/5/2020 at 0:49 PM, Oktayne the Red said:

Aye, it's a shame to see it go. I had high hopes too when I stumbled upon it last year or whenever. It sucks to see forums dying left and and right in general. Thank you folks for all the content videos and stuff. Still glad I found the place even if it was short lived.

Personally, I could take this as an omen that MTG in general is dying out for old farts like me who want to just play for fun. It is so hard finding a decent game anymore.

Or has it been dead, and I'm just in denial and/or oblivious? 

Forums have been dying off for a while now, I've been in denial about that.  It's my favorite type of communication for big groups, but unfortunately other services have taken over.  I think MTG is probably doing OK, I thought there were more people who played for fun and would want to chat about it.  Not everyone wants to be on the tournament circle.

Apparently War of the Spark was one of the biggest booms in MTG we've had in a long time. Arena brought a lot of attention to the game, but I hear that it also spiked paper sales and whatnot.

Unfortunately, all of that progress was probably lost during the pandemic. Local game stores are dropping like flies again. :(

19 minutes ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Apparently War of the Spark was one of the biggest booms in MTG we've had in a long time. Arena brought a lot of attention to the game, but I hear that it also spiked paper sales and whatnot.

Unfortunately, all of that progress was probably lost during the pandemic. Local game stores are dropping like flies again. :(

Thats a set I haven't purchased a single card from, surprised to hear it was such a boom

11 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Thats a set I haven't purchased a single card from, surprised to hear it was such a boom

Me either. Ironically, my LGS died during Ravnica Allegiance, 1 set before the alleged boom. I haven't purchased paper cards since.