Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Introspection: Do you return shopping carts?

11 posts in this topic

I was just reading this article on why people return - or don't return - shopping carts.  It was interesting.  But perhaps more revealing might be whether you admit your behavior.  Be truthful.

Please reply before peeking at my answer.  :)

Spoiler

I always return the cart.  Not because of a perceived social norm, but because I prefer order over chaos.  And it is annoying to find a parking spot otherwise occupied by a shopping cart left there by some selfish jerk.  :)

Edited by Elovia

Instead of editing the above,  so as not to change my answer.   

I answered before reading the article.  After reading it I can't say that I fit in any one category, since I have both returned and not returned while under all of the listed conditions.

Thinking back and adding other conditions like good/bad mood among others and I still don't find a pattern.

Elovia likes this

Always return it.  I just think doing anything else is a dick move ... but that's just me and I understand there may be circumstances where someone might not.  I am able and have no such reasons why I wouldn't

Elovia likes this

So to follow up on my earlier comment ...

I also sometimes take the time to reorganize the carts at the return stall: large carts stacked together, small carts stacked together.  I'm sick.  I know.  You can get more carts stacked neatly in the stall if they're not jumbled into a large pile.  And no, I never worked for a retail market.

I can't believe i am such a monster........:wacko: well the 25% or so of the time .  Although one could look at it as helping someone out by helping to keep them employed.

Edited by Boag
Elovia likes this

On 9/9/2020 at 0:48 PM, Lasraik said:

I always do, I'm not a monster.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:44 PM, Boag said:

I can't believe i am such a monster........:wacko: well the 25% or so of the time .  Although one could look at it as helping someone out by helping to keep them employed.

My bad.  I read Lasraik's response as two sentences ... one not necessarily following the other.  :P

My kid worked at a large combined supermarket+retail store, and he said getting assigned to fetch carts from the parking lot (especially when it was -40° outside) was punishment for being caught doing nothing (or as Prince would say, "pretty close to nothing") ... and there were always plenty of kids to get assigned to fetch carts.  So in essence, it was negative reinforcement used to promote a stronger work ethic. 

Edited by Elovia
Boag likes this

Most carts (or Shopping Trolleys, as they are known in most civilised countries), in the UK have a deposit system. You insert a pound coin to release it from the one in front, and you get that pound back when you return it.

Elovia likes this

9 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Most carts (or Shopping Trolleys, as they are known in most civilised countries), in the UK have a deposit system. You insert a pound coin to release it from the one in front, and you get that pound back when you return it.

The article linked in the OP mentions them ... and I think they're an ingenious idea (i.e., "brilliant" in the UK).  There are a few stores that do that here in the US, and homeless or other less-well-off people are known to fetch carts left in the parking lot by the original "renters" that couldn't be bothered to turn them in for their deposits.  Lazy people pay a self-imposed tax, the unfortunates earn a small windfall (cynically ... maybe enough to buy a small cheeseburger off the dollar menu), and the stores save money by not having to hire cart fetchers at minimum wage.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

On 19/09/2020 at 0:38 AM, Elovia said:

The article linked in the OP mentions them ... and I think they're an ingenious idea (i.e., "brilliant" in the UK).  There are a few stores that do that here in the US, and homeless or other less-well-off people are known to fetch carts left in the parking lot by the original "renters" that couldn't be bothered to turn them in for their deposits.  Lazy people pay a self-imposed tax, the unfortunates earn a small windfall (cynically ... maybe enough to buy a small cheeseburger off the dollar menu), and the stores save money by not having to hire cart fetchers at minimum wage.

Charities also sell tokens to release the trolley, for the same price as the coin to release the trolley.