Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Discussion: The best way to make bacon

6 posts in this topic

I read a lot of stuff because I don't watch TV.  Some of it is boring, but some of it interesting.  And some, like this latest article about making bacon just makes me hungry.

According to the article author, my preferred method (non-stick pan) only rates a 6/10.  I do note the author did not give out any 9s ... not to mention the subject itself is hyper-subjective ... so she's simply wrong.  I've never heard of some of the methods she uses, and I've tried others but I like the compromise of speed and quality from my method.  I could cook the bacon slower in the oven but let's be real ... the point of cooking it is to eat it, and the sooner you can eat it, the better things are, amiright?  On the other hand, I've made microwave bacon, and I can attest to the finickiness of timing depending on the water content of the bacon slices in question.  It's just not worth the risk of destroying a succulent piece or two of precious bacon by microwaving it.

My method, as quirky as it is, works well by producing cooked slices that are crispy on the outside and meaty-chewy on the inside.  My wife doesn't like me to deodorize the house with bacon smoke, so I found that if I cook it low and slow the temperature doesn't get above the smoking point of the fats and oils.  I usually spray a square non-stick griddle pan with cooking spray (yeah, doubling up on the non-stick protection) which causes the bacon to not cling to the non-stick pan coating.  And a low temperature tends to render the fat from the slices so they fry and crisp in their own juice.  With the right cut, the slices don't curl ... much.  I flip each slice no more than twice.  The slices are pulled from the pan when they just start to begin foaming (those of you who've fried bacon in a pan should be able to recognize when this is).  And cleanup is a breeze.  I usually put the cooked bacon slices on a plate with paper towels, and them pat them down from the top with another set of paper towels.  After patting down the cooked slices, I send the top layer of paper towels to the pan to soak up the fats and oils, then simply toss it in the trash when it cools.

*tummy grumbles* ... /sigh ... I want a BLT for some reason ...

So ... how do you prefer to make your bacon (or have your bacon made)? 

Edited by Elovia

5 hours ago, Oktayne the Red said:

Now I hungry too. Thanks buddy.

You bet!  I predict bacon will appear on this weekend's menu in one form or another.  :)

Oktayne the Red likes this

Oh no! You're letting me down. Do we HAVE to wait till the weekend???

I'm gonna fry some up in the morning and make breakfast sammiches, and save some for burgers tomorrow night.

Weekend schmeekend.

Seems like a good time for one of my favorite TV quotes. From Supernatural, Dean - "If bacon is what kills me, I Win."

Elovia likes this

Well, usually it's somewhat easy to save some when we just have sammiches for breakfast. Believe it or not, you CAN have too much bacon on a sandwich. So there's always some left.

HOWEVER...

I like your idea much betterer. I'll just have two sandwiches.