Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

[Video] Organized Play Announcement

14 posts in this topic

1. Good on no Modern PT. Modern is a boring PT format, and you often have uninteractive games or inbred metagames. WOTC also felt the need to lay down the banhammer due to these PTs

2. Platinum Pros are getting screwed, big time. I will never earn a pro point, but I can see why players who have worked for platinum would be very upset. They just lost about $12k in income. WOTC should have given them a year's notice, and I could see a class-action suit go ahead if WOTC doesn't give the current platinum players their rewards for the next season.

WOTC is just so tone-deaf sometimes, and it's amazing that nobody there thinks these things through.

Really bummed about there being no Modern PT.  How much (if any) will this hurt the format?

I think no pro tour will be good for modern, and will hopefully mean wizards interfere with it less.

Slashing platinum rewards seems a strange move. If every new set lately has apparently been the most opened ever and mot GPs reaching or nearing max capacity, surely they must be making more money over time, not convinced they should need to do this to increase prize pools like they've said

My guess is that Modern Pro Tours don't make them much money.  The Standard Pro Tour will still drum up interest in the current set.  Other than the last Modern Pro Tour that was in Eldrazi Winter, they usually don't feature cards from the newest set.  

Maybe pro players don't make them much money either, or they realize the casuals are their bread and butter and they don't think they need pro players to survive.

18 hours ago, Lasraik said:

My guess is that Modern Pro Tours don't make them much money.  The Standard Pro Tour will still drum up interest in the current set.  Other than the last Modern Pro Tour that was in Eldrazi Winter, they usually don't feature cards from the newest set.  

Maybe pro players don't make them much money either, or they realize the casuals are their bread and butter and they don't think they need pro players to survive.

the Pro Tour is purely a promotional event, and comes out of WOTC's marketing budget. They pay for a lot of airfares, hotels, and appearance fees. Grand Prixs are the ones that can make a little $ for the TOs.

Perhaps WOTC looks at their viewership #s, which pale in comparison to other games, and feels that the majority of players just don't care of Owen Turtlewad is playing LSV in the finals :P   I certainly have my pet pros, but would viewership really change if we didn't see the same top names? I don't know...

Plenty of players obviously want to play in the Pro Tour, but chasing Platinum is a goal for only a really small handful of players. Still, it's a shame that WOTC is pulling this stunt when they claim they want MTG to be a bit player in the e-sports arena. 

Lasraik likes this

There's an uproar on social media, people are stopping their podcasts, streams and other MTG activities to protest the changes.  But really, until they (we) stop buying their product they won't care.  The only people who really care about missing streaming and podcasts are the folks who watch and listen to them.  

This is one of the best articles written on the subject:

http://www.mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/tzu-ching-kuo/fools-the-dream-is-not-dead

It basically lays out the many truths, with the only real thing to be angry about being that the current Platinum players aren't getting their benefits for next year and were given no advance warning

Lasraik likes this

I don't fully agree that MTG is not a job. It's akin to golf, where you aren't guaranteed income other than appearance fees and sponsorships. Only a certain # of players ever really make enough money to call it a job, and most pros have to supplement their income with writing and other gigs.

That said, if MTG wants to promote certain players, you want them to attend many events and keep at the top tables. Otherwise, it'll be more about marketing the game with the flavour-of-the-week and occasional HOF. I guess WOTC figures the game markets itself more than certain pros do. I can see the logic in that thinking, although I don't know how correct that is in terms of MTG viewership. (I'm an old man, after all)

Interesting, that didn't take long at all.  Looks like they will slowly change it instead of all at once.