Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Are Intro Decks Worth Buying?

14 posts in this topic

shadows_over_innistrad_intro_set__07548.

Lately I've been hearing people on social media and YouTube dump on Intro Packs.  Their point is that Intro Packs are the worst product Wizards sells, because the cards in the deck are crap and not worth anything.  Not only that, you can't pick one up and play at FNM.  

These people are missing the point, I completely disagree with this point of view.  Intro Packs are a great way to introduce new players to the game.  They are a small investment for someone who isn't sure whether they will enjoy playing Magic or not.  They aren't made with collectors or experienced players in mind.  They are made for new players to grab a deck with a mix of mechanics and creatures to open and play with.

New players don't know and/or don't care about Magic finance.  They just want to try playing.

Intro Packs are great to keep on hand, too.  Usually the decks experienced (using that term loosely) play with are a mixed bag of mechanics and combos that you have to play test to know how to use it.  With a few Intro Packs on hand you can use those to play against or with a new player and explain the basics.  They aren't made with FNM or competitive play in mind.  

Lots of the people who dump on Intro Packs say you're better off getting a few packs and building a deck.  Of all the people I've introduced to the game (which is everyone I currently play with now, I introduced all of them to the game) this can be intimidating.  To buy packs and put a deck together for a new player is like reading a different language and often leads to frustration and confusion.

So people can talk about how worthless Intro Packs are.  They don't have any high value cards.  So what?  That's not the goal.  The goal is to give someone a ready to play deck with creatures, spells and lands that they can open it and play with.  I love Intro Packs, they are a great tool to teach new players how to play.

Hell, even I started with an Intro Pack back in the day during Darksteel.  I used it and as I got used to playing I removed a few cards here and there until it was unrecognizable from the original deck.  And that's the point.  

My rant is over, what say you?

ComboCrazy, JesGolbez and Abaddon like this

Exactly.

I did used to get them when WOTC held large prereleases. The 'open dueling' was a casual side event where you would crack a random intro pack and play some games against other random players. 
These intro packs are mainly for the big box stores and for parents to get their kids into the game. 

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

I think Event Decks are a better way to start than Intro Decks.  For twice the cost, you get at least double the rares and better ones at that, along with a more focused deck so you get an idea of the kinds of decks you should be learning to build on your own later.  They also teach you what a sideboard is, and can be used to teach you how to sideboard between games if you want.

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

I agree with Molimo. Also it seems like the cards in the Intro packs get worse and worse. Used to be some pretty cool foil rares on those intro packs and it might be worth picking up if you liked those things, and some of the older ones seemed to be a bit more focused.

Now it seems like a mess of random cards in the random colours, the foil rare is usually the crappiest, most boring rare of that colour in the set, and the decks feel poorly designed. 

For pre-made decks, it feels like Event decks or the duel decks or Commander decks are more fun (although some of those have balance/design issues too). 

Ok, I get that they want to you to build/add onto the deck and make it better over time, but damn it give a better foundation for the n00bs, eh?

Lasraik, JesGolbez and Abaddon like this

3 hours ago, Aurian said:

I know, and I feel that is a mistake because those were GOOD precons... 

They were.  A friend in our playgroup has a Spirit event deck that is pretty strong.  With the price on those though I still think intro decks are better for new players.  Usually the people I've taught how to play (or tried) have said something like "Is there a way I can try it without spending too much?  I don't know if I'll be into it."  So at $12 dollars intro decks were convenient. 

A couple of my pals (Wed night barflies) play precons, and the event decks were quite strong and well built. I understand they weren't really going to win an FNM, but they still made pretty good casual decks for the price point. 

If anything, WOTC should cut making 5 intro decks for each set and maybe just make 1-2. Make them stronger and more syngerized. 

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, MindlessARTIST said:

Tireless tracker is okay. Honestly, if anything, I would say go for Jund werewolves.

You had me at werewolves 

The intro packs used to be good. Recently, they've gotten kinda lame, though. They don't work well, they don't have a good wincon, and some are way better than others, just by sheer chance. I'm starting to think that they're not worth it anymore... :( Hopefully they'll get better again, though

Lasraik likes this