Lasraik

Friday Top Five: Planeswalkers You Love and Hate?

28 posts in this topic

This weeks Top 5 is: Planeswalkers You Love and Hate

A big thank you to @Aurian for this weeks topic!

Chandra is my favourite. Many, many inappropriate puns come to mind, but really, she just fits my playing style (i'm too old and grumpy to think MtG characters are hot anyway). I don't hate any, they simply don't exist in the gaming group I play with and I don't know enough about them. 

Lasraik likes this

5 of each, or total? I tend to dislike the Planeswalker card type, so it sort of breaks the original Magic core rules. You have to spend so many resources getting rid of them, too.

1. Nicol Bolas (love) - I call him "Big Daddy", and he is worth the expensive mana cost. I built a Bolasses Molasses control deck around him and Bolas-themed cards :P

2. Venser (love) - One of my favourite characters. Why did he have to die off? :( I love 'blinky' style effects. 
  3. Liliana Vess (Love) - Love the character and the outfit :P
  4. Daretti, Scrap Servant (Love) - A non-human planeswalker that gives red something other than 'burn burn burn'. 
  5. Ob Nixilis (love) - I have a little love for Demons :P

1. Jace (hate) - Especially the "Mind Sculptor" version. Magic's poster boy has often been a very boring character for me, and I'm not wild about they are always thrusting him at us and pushing his power level.
  2. Garruk (meh) - Big dumb beast boy. I like his original version, but the character is boring
  3. Tibalt (yuk) - Cool character, but useless card. I understand why they erred on the side of caution, but still...
  4. Liliana of the Dark Realms (barf) - The only Liliana I dislike...her art makes her look like a crack addict, and the card is terrible.
  5. Elsepth, Knight-Errant (ARGH!) - I hate playing against this card... she keeps putting shields up and is very hard to get rid of. 
Lasraik likes this

Took me a while to get on board with the whole planeswalker thing, but they (mostly) help counter the change in power balance between creatures and spells which I think is important and adds to the game. The only ones I would say I really don't like are those at the extremes of the power spectrum (JtMs, Tibalt, maybe LotV) as they don't actually provide that balance.

Favourites are definitely Dack and Tezzeret the Seeker (apparently I love the ability to interact with artifacts)

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

My 5 Loved

1.) Jace, the Mind Sculptor: When I pulled one during Worldwake I didnt really care about it but now that Ive developed a love for blue I appreciate him more.

2.) Karn Liberated: this card is stupid.

3.) Liliana of the Veil: Modern staple, hopefully gets reprinted 

4.) Nissa Revane: nostalgic and fun with elves

5.) Ajani, Mentor of Heroes: the casuL in me loves the gain 100 life

Hate:

1.) Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker: I really want to use this card in a dragon tribal deck but there are other cards that would be better fits.  Give me a good dragon planeswalker!

2.) Chandra, Flamecaller: the ultimate ability is too situational

3.) Chandra, the Firebrand: lackluster and just isnt good enough to use in most situations 

4.) Garruck, Caller of Beasts: meh

5.) Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker: I love this card but its casting cost is crazy.  I want to play it not sit in my hand till Im dead

JesGolbez likes this

35 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Hate:

2.) Chandra, Flamecaller: the ultimate ability is too situational

You mean awesome. It's a mental ultimate, she's just amazing. No bad abilities at all. So many occasions where I play her just to blow up the field also.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

Favourites:

Chandra - I actually like the Ablaze version; I made a deck that abuses it so its quite nasty despite the heavy casting cost. I do like her as a character and many of her cards, but they usually require some build around to really make work.

Nicol Bolas // Ugin - Dragon planeswalkers!  I also have a Bolas deck (Fist of Suns FTW), and Jes often says it "makes target player cry" . I also have Ugin in my dragon planeswalker control. 

Elspeth - Her various incarnations are all pretty good in the decks I like to play, and I like her story. I hope she manages to escape from the underworld and find peace somewhere.

Venser - Love the card, hate hate hate his death story. Ugh. Terrible writing. 

Hate:

Jace - I dunno, he gets boring quite often although he is improving in the short stories later. I still would like to see more variety in the blue department tho.

Karn - Zzzz. Didn't really like him as a character or as a card.

Tibalt - YOU SUCK! I couldn't even make him work in my flashback deck. He always made me discard the new card i needed!

@Aurian claims to hate Jace, but built an entire deck around The Wallet Sculptor ;)

At least Kiora is giving blue a different direction with blue planeswalkers... Tamiyo is pure 'I like to research'..zzz...while Kiora is more of a petulant Octopus lord :D

Lasraik likes this

13 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Which version of Chandra is your favorite? 

Probably Pyromaster, it looks like she could orchestrate an epic, pyroclastic, ending to the game.

Lasraik likes this

Love:

1. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar. A Gavony Township. Repeatably. Plus tokens. 

2. Nissa, Vastwood Seer//Nissa, Sage Animist. Ramp, dudes, yay!

3. Liliana, Heretical Healer//Liliana, Defiant Necromancer. Easy to flip, reanimates, disrupts. Perfect!

4. Sarkhan Unbroken. It's a flavor and mechanical win. 

5. Karn, Silver Golem. Really fun. I like.

I really don't hate any planeswalkers. They're all just fine.

It's not even Legendary, one of the most powerful creatures ever printed? 

It's good enough to have got itself and BBE banned sooner than it would have on its own from modern and still see a lot of play in the "fair" legacy decks.

Lasraik likes this

Cannot wait to draft JUND (given blightning/chain lightning gets a reprint. Hell, even Hymn to Tourach would be amazing.)

wouldn't be surprised at all to see hymn included. hopefully not at common again though- that could make for some thoroughly miserable draft matches if people are packing multiple hymns

It missed the cut for bfz block, finding a new standard set to include inquisition is going to be virtually impossible from a flavour standpoint, so masters sets are the only hope for a reprint it seems. Modern masters is maybe more likely, but I could see it getting into eternal masters maybe. 

Perfect for the mono hand disruption limited archetype with hymn and, hopefully, cabal therapy (probably upgraded to rare, screw you wizards)

Lasraik likes this