Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jazz

Stardew Valley

139 posts in this topic

Year 2 First week of Summer update:

I acquired 32 quality sprinklers, 2 iridium sprinklers and a gold watering can.  All tools are gold, except my iron axe.  Just haven't gotten around to upgrading it yet.  I have roughly 300 blueberries growing plus a few other crops for the greenhouse requirements. Dummy me sold all my spring cauliflower, so unless I get lucky with the cart, I wont get that till spring year 3.  Hoping he sells cloth as well so I don't have to get the animals.  My shed that is almost full of preservative jars.  My shed/jars are processing my reserves of rhubarbs from spring.  The DunnarFarm Farm (yes, that is my farm name.  When I started I didn't realize it would add Farm to your farm name) cash enterprise is almost to the point where its self sufficient.  Money is not my bottleneck, its getting enough stone and other resources.  I'm to the point where I just buy the coal.

I have a barn, upgraded house, shed, coop and a stable.  Between having the horse and opening up the mine cars, I have considerably shortened the distance to the mines.  I am there daily farming for stone or coal.

Had 4 chickens and 4 cows.  I sold off 2 of each because it wasn't worth the time every day of gathering eggs and milk.  Don't need the money from cheese and mayo.  After the shed is full of preserve jars, I will work to upgrade both buildings to the deluxe versions.

4 trees are producing a steady supply of oak resin in anticipation of making kegs.  Plan is to fill my barn and coop with kegs.  My fruit trees are producing a steady supply of berries.  I regret planting only 2 of each.  Thinking I will eventually expand my tree farm.

2 things I have completely neglected ... I have not gone deep into the mines nor have I done any fishing.  I am not questing much nor have I explored much.

Haley and I are a bit of an item as she officially became my girlfriend the other day.  Thinking we will eventually get married.  The only thing stopping me is her sister Emily.  She is very intriguing.  Do I go with love at first sight (Haley) or go with someone that has grown on me (Emily)?  

595a62d88bbb0_StardewValley7_3_201711_27_56AM.thumb.png.e89b68d905461fb62f43d5f9453e3dd1.png

Edited by Dunnar
Lasraik and Elovia like this

Don't stress too much over your fruit trees. You can plant more later, or if you're like me, plant 3 of each in the greenhouse where they all will produce year round. IIRC, it does take some sequencing to get all trees and sprinklers to optimize greenhouse growing space.  Recall that trees need extra space around them to grow (but not to produce fruit). Once they're fully grown, you can set the final iridium sprinklers and have a fully functional and self-maintained greenhouse where you only need to harvest crops when they're ready. I forget which are the real money makers: ancient fruit or star fruit (the plant-once harvest-many kind is best).

Go back and read previous posts in this thread about your potential love interest in Emily. It's great if she's the one for you.  Who are we to judge? ;) 

The quarry is a good source for stone ... probably the best. Clearing mine levels of all rocks got too tedious for me and hindered downward advancement (run out of time at end of the day). The trick is to bonsai down to the multiple of 5 levels so you can save forward progress, and then take the elevator and more leisurely work back up as you have time or inclination. The better rewards and ore are deeper. Although the best source of iridium is the statue reward from grandpa (i.e., the reward for earning 4 candles).

Fishing will be what you spend your time on after your farm is self-maintaining. Do note that most fish are seasonal, and some come with weather restrictions.

Dunnar likes this

New goal ... acquire Grandpa's statue.  Need 12 points.  

Plan:

Earn $1 million.  Should get that no problem, already at 592k.  7 points.

Have total 30 skills ... 1 point.  Need to up my foraging as it is level 7.  Easily attainable. 

Complete collection.  Roughly 75% there.  Probably difficult, may get lucky.  1 point.

Married with fully upgraded house.  1 point.  Need to upgrade house 2 more levels.  Need to farm hardwood.  Haley will be Mrs Dunnar soon.

Friendship of 4 hearts with pet.  Bubbles loves me.  Done.  1 point.

Friendship of 8 hearts with 5 villagers.  1 point.  Tough.  I will need to start a list of what is the best gifts and start giving.  Need to work the birthday calendar.

Rust key.  1 point.  Currently stand at 57.  Should be easy.

Skull key.  1 point.  Will get the final 40 levels over winter.  Easy.

So, if I take out the difficult ones and focus on mine levels.  Do some foraging and get items to donate in the mine and I should be set.

Don't forget to grow and set aside gold-star quality red cabbages. You get a lot of bang for the friendship buck when you donate one of those bad boys to the community soup at the luao ... +1 friendship with everyone in town.

After seeing Dunnar's progress I realised I needed to get back to smoking this crack myself.  I was near the end of Autumn second year from when I had left it last, but had virtually no sprinklers for my outside farm as I had been planning on waiting for winter before redoing it all fearing loss of profits.  I realised now this was a mistake as spent so much of my time just watering plants, in the middle of winter now though so all's good, stocking up on iridium sprinklers for the uber farm of uberness.

I had married the adventurous Abigail, as Elo said keep your distance from Emily, skank goes weird and the whole thing feels off, I think she deals in the pot.  Plus poor Clint, could not do that to that fella even if he does need new taste in women.  Of course you may feel otherwise, so go for her if you prefer, woulda thought you'd have gone for Leah but Haley is solid choice.  Good wide hips for child birthing. 

The animals are just annoying now, I have to say.  Thinking of selling them all off just so that I don't have to keep milking bloody cows that won't stay still in one spot.  Greenhouse has been revamped slightly, was growing coffee beans and strawberries in there but ditched the coffee beans in favour of starfruits for the kegs.  Got hoards of crops of different sorts hoarded up that I'm trying to burn through with kegs and preserves jars.

Clint has his own (fashion choice) problems that I don't think Emily can fix. They'd be an interesting couple, that's for sure. By all means, explore your potential relationship with Emily (at least as far as you're comfortable). I married Leah; she's an insecure artist who enjoys wine ... which leads me to ...

Between petting and tending animals, it's enough to drive a farmer to drink ... hence investment in wine production is a good idea (if not financial, then in spirit - see wut I did?). You get such satisfaction when payday rolls around after selling a basement full of iridium-quality wine.

Edited by Elovia

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

The animals are just annoying now, I have to say.  Thinking of selling them all off just so that I don't have to keep milking bloody cows that won't stay still in one spot.  Greenhouse has been revamped slightly, was growing coffee beans and strawberries in there but ditched the coffee beans in favour of starfruits for the kegs.  Got hoards of crops of different sorts hoarded up that I'm trying to burn through with kegs and preserves jars.

I sold off all my cows for that very reason.  I have enough milk to last me forever.  Kept 2 chickens more for sentimental reasons.  Expanded the barn and will upgrade again in advance of filling it with kegs.  Even with 20 kegs and 56 preservative jars, I still cant keep up with my blueberry production.

In the process of acquiring ancient seeds in anticipation of getting my greenhouse next spring.

Haley and I are now married.  Emily was intriguing, but Haley had me at hello.  Still in the honeymoon phase as she made me breakfast and everything.

Found a use for milk!  Pumpkin soup!  Gives +2 Defence and (most importantly) +2 Luck when you eat it.  Luck has such a big effect when going down the caverns, I went on a very lucky day and ate a spicy eel (+1 Luck) and found that not only was iridium ore more plentiful but that I was even getting iridium BARS!  Upon leaving I immediately checked all the food recipes, and while there is a dish that gives even more luck (+3) its ingredients are harder and more unreliable to get, whereas pumpkin soup just needs pumpkins (which I have loads off, not as much as I used to as I used them to make wine, knew I shoulda saved them) and milk. 

Haley I would consider marrying if I weren't already with Abi, which I find strange because I don't normally go for that sorta girl.  Wait till the honeymoon period is over, and she starts complaining, realising she's trapped on a farm for the rest of her life!  Make sure to keep your favourite weapon handy, you may have to kill her eventually when she turns into a monster.

I have 65 kegs and 33 preserve jars, still not enough!

40 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Found a use for milk!

I have several gold cheese stashed away to add to the soup for the annual Luau.  I checked into Pumpkin soup ... need to start workin my magic on Robin.

Does the quarry have a lot of iridium and/or artifacts?  That is 2+ preserve jars of materials for the construction bundle to complete.

What if you miss the cooking show?  Does that mean you will never get that recipe?

10 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I have several gold cheese stashed away to add to the soup for the annual Luau.  I checked into Pumpkin soup ... need to start workin my magic on Robin.

Does the quarry have a lot of iridium and/or artifacts?  That is 2+ preserve jars of materials for the construction bundle to complete.

What if you miss the cooking show?  Does that mean you will never get that recipe?

The quarry is rather crap to be honest.  Still trying to work out if there is something more to it but as far as I can tell it just spawns mosts stones and the occasional geode (copper or iron or sometimes gold, never seen anything better than that). 

The cooking shows repeat, and I seem to sometimes get the recipe before the show comes up so there seems to be multiple ways to get some recipes.  I always check the cooking shows just in case, but by god the amount of times I have seen coleslaw...

Stone is an important commodity for later-game building upgrades.  Sure, you can purchase it (and I have).  The quarry is kind of like the Hardwood Forest, where you can harvest materials for the time and effort put into harvesting them.  How much is your time worth?  Dunno.  You can weigh that when you decide whether to harvest or purchase the items.  A possible strategy for the ... *ominous music* skill caverns ... is to take a bunch of stacks of stone so  you can make a set of stairs down if there isn't a convenient hole nearby in which to jump.  In there, the trick is to get as deep as you can as rapidly as you can.

I kept all my inventory in various chests in my house, and a calendar and a tv by my bed.  That way, the first stop of the day was to see who's birthday was coming up and to check the weather or watch a show that I hadn't seen before.  If it was raining out, I would grab my mining gear and go spelunking.  If it was someone's birthday, I would poke around my chests of loot to find an appropriate gift (hint: most, but not all, people like diamonds).

There's also a point at which further accumulation of iridium is pointless.  The statue pumps out iridium ore every day.  Sooner or later you'll run out of need for iridium bars in crafted recipes.  Just chuck another bar on the pile.

Edited by Elovia

Yeah, I iridiumised all my gear (because gold just looks bad, its like you're trying to be the gangsta of farming with all that bling), and got a load of iridium sprinklers.  Planning on a few more sprinklers for when I taken down the orchard I have in the bottom left of my farm to make room for an elaborate farming area but other than that I am now finding it hard to come up for things to do with the stuff.  Got the statue of perfection so not even bothering with the mine now. 

The main goal now is just to sync up my starfruit production with my kegging with my casking, made a ton more casks when I realised the basement could actually hold more than it started with. Kinda glad that I went with the forest farm for the hardwood but also miffed at the lack of uninterrupted space it has (lakes and grassland breaks up the farmland into smaller patches, not so easy to set up Jumino-managed areas).

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

... made a ton more casks when I realised the basement could actually hold more than it started with.

Yeah ...  plenty of room in the basement.  From an earlier post, here is my basement chock full of kegs ... max space utilized.  Sorry about the wine bottles hiding some of the kegs so you can see the layout.

WineCell.PNG

Pay day!

595f70f670afa_StardewValley7_7_20177_28_27AM(2).thumb.png.811a0aabe2b812c87e55e71639d7ba12.png

I am going to sell off my chickens and start stuffing the coop with jars.  I loaded up my casks with cheese and wine.

D1Y1 Fall - Big day ahead of me.  Need to get 300 cranberries in the ground, planted and watered.

6 hours ago, Elovia said:

Yeah ...  plenty of room in the basement.  From an earlier post, here is my basement chock full of kegs ... max space utilized.  Sorry about the wine bottles hiding some of the kegs so you can see the layout.

WineCell.PNG

You know, after posting about putting up more casks, I realised just as I was filling them up that I had completely ballsed it up.  I was using single lines of casks instead of double for reasons I don't know why. 

37 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

Pay day!

595f70f670afa_StardewValley7_7_20177_28_27AM(2).thumb.png.811a0aabe2b812c87e55e71639d7ba12.png

I am going to sell off my chickens and start stuffing the coop with jars.  I loaded up my casks with cheese and wine.

D1Y1 Fall - Big day ahead of me.  Need to get 300 cranberries in the ground, planted and watered.

Yep, first day of the season is always the biggie.  Gotta get those multiple-harvest crops in the ground asap to get the most harvests out of them! ;)  Damn man, you managed to get all those jars in the first year?  Only just finished my shed of them in the third year!

54 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Yep, first day of the season is always the biggie.  Gotta get those multiple-harvest crops in the ground asap to get the most harvests out of them! ;)  Damn man, you managed to get all those jars in the first year?  Only just finished my shed of them in the third year!

Fall D1Y2 ... sorry about that.  I miss typed that one.  I farm wood (regrow trees on my farm), farm stone (lvl 41-43, go for the big rocks) and buy coal.

Still ahead in the preserve jar stakes!  How did you take the picture of the farm like you did?

I play on a surface with the Xbox app installed.  I can hit the Windows key+ g to take a screen shot in any game.

For the farm, I had to go into settings and zoom out as far as I could (pain in the ass to do).  Can't get the complete farm.  So I am curious how @Elovia does that too.

For the preserve jars, I took a screen shot then cropped it because of the large amount of black space.

I so did not know there was a zoom option in the game!  Bloody awkward to use though, each time you click you then have to scroll back down again to click again.  Got some decent pics now though, will stick them up when I can, will be heading off for the weekend shortly so if I don't manage to get them up today it will probably be Sunday instead.

If I remember correctly, I had to use a 3rd party software to allow display in multiplicative resolutions ... say 8x normal ... in order to render the entire farm in one shot. The process took a while to figure out precise settings for my system that wouldn't crash it. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the process was a bit of torture.  Those of you who are far more familiar with lower level workings of computers may find the process differently.

If I remember this evening after work, I'll dig up a link or two to the method I used.  You can also Google how to make a screenshot of your entire farm, and come up with your own links.  There are several methods that may be used. I know there were a couple of services where you could upload your save game file and they would generate the image for you.  I went a more private route and did the transformation/extraction using the game engine itself on my own machine by "tricking" it into thinking my display was much larger than it really is.

Edited by Elovia

Right, lets see if this works, if it doesn't I'll post them up properly when I get back Sunday.

2017-07-07_1602_1.png

2017-07-07_1602_2.png

2017-07-07_1602_3.png

2017-07-07_1603_1.png

2017-07-07_1603_2.png

2017-07-07_1603_3.png

2017-07-07_1603_4.png

2017-07-07_1454_1.png

2017-07-07_1454_3.png

2017-07-07_1457_1.png

2017-07-07_1509_1.png

2017-07-07_1600_1.png

Dunnar and Elovia like this

Since that worked, here's some of the inside of the house!  And that's me done spamming the thread.

2017-07-07_1628_1.png

2017-07-07_1628_2.png

2017-07-07_1628_3.png

Elovia likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0