Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

...rainman!

11 posts in this topic

On a regular basis I'll be asking members to answer 10-15 questions or so and post them in an interview style forum post.  This will give everyone a chance to tell us about themselves (if they choose) and for us to all get to know each other better.

Thanks to @rainman for being courteous enough to be the first victim errr, interviewee (if you can call it that)  

Question: How have you been doing lately?  Any big events coming up for you personally?

Answer: Other than dabbling in the flashback drafts on Magic Online, I've not been playing much lately, real life interfering unfortunately. I've moved with work recently so hoping to find myself a new local scene. I've heard there's some Legacy action in the area and now the first deck is almost ready, I'll be looking to get stuck into a new format

Q:  What Legacy deck are you putting together?

A:  Just a playset of goblin guides short of the Burn deck, which is a stepping stone to UR delver, and eventually UBR delver. Making those steps involves some number of dual lands, which is a cost I still don't know if I can take on any time soon. They are cards which, as well as being useful in competitive play in the older formats, are truly iconic of the early era of Magic and for both those reasons I would love to get my hands on some. Knowing me, it's quite likely I'll give in to this urge at some point, but so far I've managed to restrain myself after blowing a load of cash making the foundations of a modern collection

Q: How long have you been playing Magic and how did you get into the game?

A: I originally started playing in a 1999 I think, not long after Urza's Legacy was released. A few friends started playing and introduced me to the game and we played pretty much every day for the next couple of years, but mostly just for fun, though one of them did play in one Pro Tour in 2000 while he was studying in the US. My first tournament was the Urza's destiny pre-release and I was always a dedicated blue/blue-white control man other than playing a Replenish-Opalescence deck during Urza block/Masques block standard

Q: Do you play Magic for fun or for competition?

A: If you mean competition as in trying to get involved in the higher levels of play, then there's no way I have enough time to head down that route. I play for fun, but the competitive nature of the game is obviously a big part of that- testing yourself against other people is always enjoyable

Q: If you had the time and resources would becoming a professional player be something you would be interested in?

A:  I can certainly think of worse jobs to do than pro magic player. Your schedule is your own, there's lots of flexibility in where and when to "work", which is awesome. I don't know how I would handle the amount that pure variance would affect my level of success though- it's got to be rough to put in hours and hours of testing before  big tournament, get mana screwed in an early round and never have a realistic shot at top 8 right from the start

Q: If you could change one thing about Magic, what would it be?

A: When I came back to the game last year, I was kind of disappointed to see that some of the traditional elements of the game like counter magic, land destruction, board sweepers had become noticeably weaker. I don't think the game is necessarily worse for it, I can see why some players didn't enjoy being on the wrong end of those things in the past. Evolution over time is natural I guess, but I'd love to at least see Counterspell make it into Modern, then I'd be happy

Q: If a new player asked you for one piece of advice, what would it be?

A:  You won't win every game, so use any losses in a positive way. Getting salty and abusive when you lose doesn't benefit anyone. Yes, sometimes it;s just luck/variance, whatever you want to call it, sometimes you either made a mistake or just got outplayed, try to think about which, and what you could have done differently

Q: How big is your Magic collection?

A: Bigger than it should be! I gave away all my commons and uncommons, other than a box of Urza's block cards- 3 full sets of all the commons and uncommons from those 3 sets, when I stopped playing in around 2002. Why I kept 3 sets rather than 4 I have no idea. I also kept my binder of rares and a couple of decks I had at the time, which luckily included an Extended version of the Tempest era mono blue Draw-Go, which had my playsets of Wasteland, Force of Will, Port, Brainstorm and various counterspells in. Since coming back I've been mostly picking up Modern stuff, but haven't quite settled on what exactly I want to play since Twin was banned. I'd guess in total it's probably around 6000 cards

Q: Any other games you enjoy playing or hobbies?

A:  I'm not really a big gamer other than Magic, but I have been getting involved with the new Eternal game- for people who've not heard of it, it's sort of Magic meets Hearthstone made by the company that LSV, Chapin and a few other Magic pros are part of

Q: In a disaster situation, you're being evacuated and can only grab 3 items as you run out of your door, what are they?

A: I'd be lost without my laptop so definitely that, then I guess my 2 binders of rares are the most valuable things in my place so those as well. The insurance could cover the rest

Q: What kind of work do you do?

A: I'm a doctor, working in the surgical department in Southampton at the minute. Naturally that takes up a lot of time and makes going to tournaments and things like that regularly kind of tricky, but it's usually rewarding work and definitely something I'm proud to be doing

Q: Any special talents?

A:  Er, not sure. No real party tricks or anything liek that, but I've always been good at picking up languages. I used to teach English as a foreign language, mostly overseas, before I started medical school and learned to speak Polish reasonably well while I was living there, as well as bits and pieces of various others, even Estonian

Q: Is there any place you'd like to travel to for the first time or to revisit?

A:  I've been lucky enough to travel a lot in my life so far, always wanted to see Rome, but still haven't managed it, and Canada is definitely on the list of places to visit too. I'm more of a winter holiday kind of guy, rather than sun, beaches etc. I love skiing and snow in general.

Q: Do you have any pets?

A:  No pets at the minute, but not something I'm against in the future. I live by myself and am out at work a lot, but once it's a bit more reasonable to do so, I would love to have a dog again

Q: Any breed of dog you prefer? 

A:  We used to have a black Labrador in the family, but he died a few years ago. They're lovely dogs so I'd definitely put them top of the list

15 minutes ago, Abaddon said:

@rainman where did you move to for work?  Do you like it?

I'm in Southampton on the south coast of England. It's not a big city, but quite a nice one and always good to be near the sea, even if you have to head outside the city to get to beaches rather than industrial/commercial docks. The Magic action seems a bit thin on the ground so far, but I remain hopeful

Abaddon likes this

17 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Wow, a Doctor...very fancy :)

Labs are awesome! Our new adoptee is part lab. 

The reality of life as a doctor, over here in England at least, isn't all that glamorous. If you get into medicine for the glamour you're probably not in it for the right reason to start with anyway though.

Abaddon likes this

5 hours ago, rainman said:

The reality of life as a doctor, over here in England at least, isn't all that glamorous. If you get into medicine for the glamour you're probably not in it for the right reason to start with anyway though.

That's true, I'm sure most of what you isn't all that glamorous but I'm sure you could tell some stories lol

rainman likes this

12 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

This is a really neat idea! I like it!

Couldn't agree more, looking forward to hearing from more of our members soon

16 hours ago, Manticore said:

Did you get to finish your legacy deck?

I did, even picked up a few off colour potential sideboard options in a couple of copies each of Ashen Rider and Sulfur Elemental (forever Sulphur Elemental in my heart) and 3 MIndbreak Traps. I briefly toyed with the idea of upgrading to UR Delver but I was left with a choice of being able to afford my car payments and getting some Volcanic Islands. Maybe when I start working walking distance from home again in April...

Lasraik likes this