Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Star Citizen

30 posts in this topic

I had just about forgotten about Star Citizen.  I unsubbed their newsletter and stopped following the progress.  

Looked at their website and theres a 'See What's Playable' section and it's listed as Alpha.  

Is this game far along?  

Curious if anyone has any info too.  I checked in about 2 weeks ago after I looked at a list of top X releases for 2016.

You can download it and do quite a lot.  It is making progress.  I think single player will be released by end of august.

No Man's Sky bitches, No Man's Sky.  Told you all it was gonna be Vapourware, that's the real reason you deleted the old forums. :P

On 7/15/2016 at 2:38 AM, Jazz said:

No Man's Sky bitches, No Man's Sky.  Told you all it was gonna be Vapourware, that's the real reason you deleted the old forums. :P

My money is on No Mans Sky over Star Citizen.  Maybe Star Citizen will be better in 10 years when it's finished and nobody cares, but in the meantime I'll be enjoying No Mans Sky

Jazz likes this

25 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

My money is on No Mans Sky over Star Citizen.  Maybe Star Citizen will be better in 10 years when it's finished and nobody cares, but in the meantime I'll be enjoying No Mans Sky

Yep, I said from the go that they seemed to be promising more than was possible while continuously accepting more and more backing as the game went on.  Spent it all on beer and hookers.  No Man's Sky on the other hand is actually gonna come out, they got a release date and everything (August I believe).

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

My money is on No Mans Sky over Star Citizen.  Maybe Star Citizen will be better in 10 years when it's finished and nobody cares, ...

... but then again, No Man's Sky will come out and after the first month, nobody will care.

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

... but then again, No Man's Sky will come out and after the first month, nobody will care.

It's already gold on pre sales, so a few people care.  Even with all the trash talk, I'm waiting to read reviews and hear feedback before I throw down cash for it.  But I still don't think Star Citizen will ever see a full release.

They are getting so desperate, now they are going to be sharing internal time lines on completion and dates.  This is a huge mistake.  By sharing these dates, all they are going to do is set themselves up for criticism when they don't make the self imposed time lines they will be met with even more criticism.  Yes, most of us know that these are estimated dates and not hard time lines but most people don't.  

On 7/17/2016 at 10:25 AM, Elovia said:

Pretty sure I got that one correct. 

Without studying the released timelines (and possibly knowing anything about game development), the only thing they could do to set themselves up for success would be to pad the schedule sufficiently so they appear to release early when they do.  Otherwise, I agree they're setting themselves up for criticism - and hence failure.

5 hours ago, Elovia said:

Pretty sure I got that one correct. 

Without studying the released timelines (and possibly knowing anything about game development), the only thing they could do to set themselves up for success would be to pad the schedule sufficiently so they appear to release early when they do.  Otherwise, I agree they're setting themselves up for criticism - and hence failure.

Oh, people care.  I got a friend who won't shut up about how the developers "lied" and that it was all a scam.  Its like, I know its shitty how the gaming media is always bullshitting, they need to stop, but its not like its just No Man's Sky they do that with and if you actually listened to what the devs were saying and not what the fratbros who call themselves journalists were saying then you got what you expected.  People were so expecting totally different things thanks to the media wanting to sell you a story of how it was something different.

Lasraik likes this

I download and played the game in its current state, it is not optimized, but it is more than enough to keep my confidence up.  The arena dogfights are fun.  They have a game here.  I don't mind them doing it right.

Edited by Jag

1 hour ago, Jag said:

I download and played the game in its current state, it is not optimized, but it is more than enough to keep my confidence up.  The arena dogfights are fun.  They have a game here.  I don't mind them doing it right.

They promised what they couldn't deliver in the time frame they said they would is the problem.

I have yet to see a game who under-hypes and over-delivers.  That is not how you make money.  Hype game for money, if its good you make even more, if its bad, well at least you got lots of suckers to pay for it and the game still profits.

Have to admit, the Star Citizen YouTube channel released a trailer for an upcoming update that had my attention.  But shortly after they deleted it.  This video is nice, but the talking is so annoying you might want to put it on mute while you watch it.  Don't know why companies do this scripted bullshit.

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Which will release first, Star Citizen or Camelot Unchained?

I guess you could make the case that SC is playable now, and we have no idea when CU will be

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:36 AM, Lasraik said:

I guess you could make the case that SC is playable now, and we have no idea when CU will be

True, but was talking about the whole game, not pieces of it....

3 hours ago, Boag said:

True, but was talking about the whole game, not pieces of it....

SC strikes me as one of those games that they will say "is never really finished".  So completion I think it's safe to say CU will be finished first

History has shown that MMO's, in general, are never finished until they shut down the servers. Seems like the devs or administrators are always tweaking or adding something that changes game play in order to keep it fresh - or at minimum, keep it stable.

SC runs the risk of overdeveloping the fun right out of the game in favor of technical “gee wiz” advances ... things that look cool but don't add to - or at worst, detract from - fun gaming. See Doom 4.

Lasraik likes this

14 minutes ago, Elovia said:

History has shown that MMO's, in general, are never finished until they shut down the servers. Seems like the devs or administrators are always tweaking or adding something that changes game play in order to keep it fresh - or at minimum, keep it stable.

SC runs the risk of overdeveloping the fun right out of the game in favor of technical “gee wiz” advances ... things that look cool but don't add to - or at worst, detract from - fun gaming. See Doom 4.

True, usually the core game and mechanics are finished though.  While they add patches and expansions they don't make major overhauls to core game play.  So the core of the game is always there, but with SC you get the feeling they are overdeveloping it and trying to do too much instead of doing one or two things really well.

I like the idea that they are working on developing and releasing a complete single player/duo game first, then expanding into an mmo.  I think that is why it is taking so long.  Squad 42 needs to be polished upon release rather than an in development mmo