Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

[Article] How to Build Like a Pro

9 posts in this topic

Saw this article on the Magic: The Gathering site today and wanted to share and get your thoughts.  It's always fun reading these kind of articles for me, I tend to fall in love with certain cards and forget the basics.

Article can be found here 

I build my decks like so:

1. What is the idea? If the idea isn't well known or well done by decks online (such as Orzhov Lockdown with Eldrazi), how can you fit it to your deck / budget?
  2. What is wincon? What is the losecon? What can you do to secure 2nd place? In my Teysa deck, the wincon is to have Eldrazis with Citadel Siege, Crawlspace, and Pontiff of Blight to extort everyone. The losecon is the commander is too much to play since she's early defense, not being able to play eldrazi, or extort everyone to death. The 2nd place is extort people and gain silly amounts of life with Debt to the Deathless.
  3. What will the weaknesses be? The strengths? How can someone beat the deck in X color? What will shut the deck down hard?
  4. How can the deck bounce back from constant destruction? Artifact, enchantment, or creatures?
  5. Is it social or competitive?
  6. How can you optimize it without breaking the bank?

It's a long process, and usually I have to go over step 1, 3, and 6 a lot. Teysa is being optimized but I still wonder if I have to add in some nastier cards, such as Void Winnower, to be able to do what I want. (Which, for good reasons, it's not really allowed at my comic book store's EDH night since it stops people from playing things that are even CMC, and thus oppressive.)

M4cr0Dutch and Lasraik like this

4 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Some great steps to follow 

The way to deck build in my opinion is to build it with weaknesses originally. Make it easy to dismantle and then go up.

Lasraik likes this

I'm probably the least efficient deck-builder here.  I usually build my decks around a general idea.  I'll use my Elf deck as an example.

I first built this deck in 1998 during the Urza's Block.  Originally, my elf deck was based off of mana-producing elves (Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, Priest of Titania) with a couple of big creatures (Yavima Wurm, Endless Wurm) rounded out with Eladamri, Lord of Leaves.  The deck  was "meh" but I liked the idea, so I kept tweaking and tweaking it.  I got rid of the big creatures to turn it into a weenie deck with some pumpable creatures (e.g. Killer Bees and Primordial Hydra), but it still wasn't quite firing on all cylinders.  It would constantly get bogged down after a quick start.  I then started to include a number of newer elf cards (Joraga Tree Caller, Bramblewood Paragon, Imperious Perfect) and splashing black to access some non-green elves (Gnarlroot Trapper & Shaman of the Pack).  I also added the Massacre Wurm to counter my friends weenie decks.  I felt I was getting close, but not quite there yet.  I finally discovered Joraga War Caller.  The deck practically sings now except for its one major weakness.  No flying defense.  That's a tweak I'm still considering how best to address.....

Not all my decks are so slow to evolve, fortunately.  

Abaddon likes this

2 hours ago, khunkao said:

I'm probably the least efficient deck-builder here.  I usually build my decks around a general idea.  I'll use my Elf deck as an example.

I first built this deck in 1998 during the Urza's Block.  Originally, my elf deck was based off of mana-producing elves (Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, Priest of Titania) with a couple of big creatures (Yavima Wurm, Endless Wurm) rounded out with Eladamri, Lord of Leaves.  The deck  was "meh" but I liked the idea, so I kept tweaking and tweaking it.  I got rid of the big creatures to turn it into a weenie deck with some pumpable creatures (e.g. Killer Bees and Primordial Hydra), but it still wasn't quite firing on all cylinders.  It would constantly get bogged down after a quick start.  I then started to include a number of newer elf cards (Joraga Tree Caller, Bramblewood Paragon, Imperious Perfect) and splashing black to access some non-green elves (Gnarlroot Trapper & Shaman of the Pack).  I also added the Massacre Wurm to counter my friends weenie decks.  I felt I was getting close, but not quite there yet.  I finally discovered Joraga War Caller.  The deck practically sings now except for its one major weakness.  No flying defense.  That's a tweak I'm still considering how best to address.....

Not all my decks are so slow to evolve, fortunately.  

Isn't there green or black enchantments that say they can fly?

Lasraik likes this

Oh absolutely, and there's also a number of green spells that eliminate flyers (e.g. Plummet).  It's really a matter of me deciding how best to address the issue....  what card/s fit my deck the best?  I haven't gotten around to noodling that one out yet.  ;)

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

On 3/23/2016 at 10:16 AM, khunkao said:

Oh absolutely, and there's also a number of green spells that eliminate flyers (e.g. Plummet).  It's really a matter of me deciding how best to address the issue....  what card/s fit my deck the best?  I haven't gotten around to noodling that one out yet.  ;)

Fair - There's a lot of the new stuff coming out that deals with a lot of flyers.