Lasraik

How much do you spend yearly on MTG?

29 posts in this topic

Was listening to the MTG Fast Finance this morning and they mentioned the average player spends about $1000 - $1200 a year on MTG.  This includes sleeves, boxes, ect.

How much do you spend a year?

Temporal Magic and JesGolbez like this

@JesGolbez would say "too much" but its one of our few vices since we don't party, drink or do extravagant vacations, etc. We usually buy a box and fatpack of every set and trade for as much as possible, although there are still some impulse purchases here and there  :unsure:

JesGolbez, Jeremy and Lasraik like this

Ill pick up a box and fat pack every set, and a draft here and there, cards for my janky decks once in a while.

Adding in cost for sleeves, boxes and now the cost of the site Im probably dropping close to 1k per year

Jeremy likes this

On sealed product I spend about 1000 to 1500 dollars. On singles, it depends. Can be about 500 to 1000 depending on what format I'm getting into.

Lasraik likes this

After MM15, I decided to try to limit myself to $100 per set including sleeves and boxes, but I sell/trade almost all cards from limited into the singles I want for modern, legacy and edh.  

Why the limit: I went a bit overboard on MM15 cause I didn't know how limited MM13 was gonna be and never got a chance to draft MM13. For MM15, I drafted 4 -5 times (@ $40?), did 3-4 rounds of sealed (@ $60-$65?), and bought a box (at MSRP w/ no tax) to use to teach my older brother how to build a deck from a sealed pool (he's as casual of a player as they come- will just play any deck handed to him and only owns the two EDH precons I gave him- of which, neither are sleeved!).  After looking at how much I dropped on MM15, despite how much fun it was, I had to say NEVER AGAIN and set a limit for my magic spending. I did roll over most of the cards into Legacy Burn (which is completed) and Legacy Reanimator (which is 2 underground seas short of completion). 

My nearest LGS is really good about pricing limited at $15-20, and drafts at $12- and always has good prize support. And the second closest always prices constructed at $5, with okay prize support. Hooray urban-living! Also, one of my playgroup routinely does an unsanctioned FNM draft, and that usually is around $7 (but no prizes). I usually skip FNM though b/c I am old (mid-30s) and enjoy spending time with my lady on Friday nights. 

Lasraik, Jeremy and JesGolbez like this

7 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

On sealed product I spend about 1000 to 1500 dollars. On singles, it depends. Can be about 500 to 1000 depending on what format I'm getting into.

How often do you pull the cards you want/need for your decks via the sealed products? 

4 hours ago, LiberatedKarn said:

After MM15, I decided to try to limit myself to $100 per set including sleeves and boxes, but I sell/trade almost all cards from limited into the singles I want for modern, legacy and edh.  

Why the limit: I went a bit overboard on MM15 cause I didn't know how limited MM13 was gonna be and never got a chance to draft MM13. For MM15, I drafted 4 -5 times (@ $40?), did 3-4 rounds of sealed (@ $60-$65?), and bought a box (at MSRP w/ no tax) to use to teach my older brother how to build a deck from a sealed pool (he's as casual of a player as they come- will just play any deck handed to him and only owns the two EDH precons I gave him- of which, neither are sleeved!).  After looking at how much I dropped on MM15, despite how much fun it was, I had to say NEVER AGAIN and set a limit for my magic spending. I did roll over most of the cards into Legacy Burn (which is completed) and Legacy Reanimator (which is 2 underground seas short of completion). 

My nearest LGS is really good about pricing limited at $15-20, and drafts at $12- and always has good prize support. And the second closest always prices constructed at $5, with okay prize support. Hooray urban-living! Also, one of my playgroup routinely does an unsanctioned FNM draft, and that usually is around $7 (but no prizes). I usually skip FNM though b/c I am old (mid-30s) and enjoy spending time with my lady on Friday nights. 

It's good to limit yourself, I try to only get a box and fat pack for each set but usually my group will want to draft or do a tournament.  You gotta get your brother to sleeve those cards, always practice safe Magic!

I usually skip FNM due to the same reasons, although she wouldn't mind me going I'd rather hang out and spend time with her and the kids.

8 hours ago, Lasraik said:

How often do you pull the cards you want/need for your decks via the sealed products? 

It's good to limit yourself, I try to only get a box and fat pack for each set but usually my group will want to draft or do a tournament.  You gotta get your brother to sleeve those cards, always practice safe Magic!

I usually skip FNM due to the same reasons, although she wouldn't mind me going I'd rather hang out and spend time with her and the kids.

I like collecting as much as playing so I try to get one of each rare/mythic in each set. Then I'll sell off bulk/trade in or sell on TCGPlayer.

Lasraik likes this

15 hours ago, LiberatedKarn said:

I live in a college town (Champaign, IL) where everyone at FNM is either in college, high school, or teaching at one of the two. I go to my LGS because it is the only one that lets people llike me (high schoolers) do FNM w/o harassing them. The one other LGS in town is the Armored Gopher. We don't go there. I went there during Theros to get an event deck (didn't know about Titan Games back then) the owner practically kicked me out!

Speaking of the thread, I do random jobs and probably earn ~$1500 a year to spend on MTG, going to prereleases, buying singles for Modern/Legacy/EDH, and contributing to cubes for my friends.

Lasraik likes this

$200 - $250 on a set usually, but I don't buy into every set that comes along. For example, I have never really been interested in the Innistrad theme, so I don't have any cards from that block. MtG is 3rd or 4th on my "go-to" list for gaming, but I appreciate what I do get around to buying greatly.

Lasraik likes this

7 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

I like collecting as much as playing so I try to get one of each rare/mythic in each set. Then I'll sell off bulk/trade in or sell on TCGPlayer.

I try to get 4x of every card in every set.

16 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Teach them to play.

21 hours ago, LiberatedKarn said:

. I usually skip FNM though b/c I am old (mid-30s) and enjoy spending time with my lady on Friday nights. 

Teach her to play.

36 minutes ago, BlutEntropy said:

Teach her to play.

It's important to have different interests... I sure don't want to go to the spa or clothes shopping or yoga or "girls brunch" with her.

I'll do a FNM about once every 6 weeks or so. I'm lucky to have an LGS that fires multiple events every single day of the week. 

Lasraik likes this

That's fine too. It does surprise me however how few girlfriends/wives are interested in the game. We have a pretty large casual group here, many married, but I am the only woman attending! 

Lasraik likes this

My wife used to play MTG with me but she fell out of it. Every once in awhile I try to get her back in but she says no. We're at least playing Pokemon Go together.

49 minutes ago, LiberatedKarn said:

It's important to have different interests... I sure don't want to go to the spa or clothes shopping or yoga or "girls brunch" with her.

I'll do a FNM about once every 6 weeks or so. I'm lucky to have an LGS that fires multiple events every single day of the week. 

Sharing a game doesn't mean you'll want to go do those things at all... Although a spa day can be really nice once in a blue moon.

Yoga is stupid and no one should ever do it.

Honestly I'm at the point where I can only date people who play since it's my main source of income.

3 minutes ago, BlutEntropy said:

Sharing a game doesn't mean you'll want to go do those things at all... Although a spa day can be really nice once in a blue moon.

Honestly I'm at the point where I can only date people who play since it's my main source of income.

Have you ever done Yoga? It's effing hard.....not fun at all. I find Yoga harder than most circuit training I've done before

Lasraik likes this

8 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Have you ever done Yoga? It's effing hard.....not fun at all. I find Yoga harder than most circuit training I've done before

I can't I have raynaud's

37 minutes ago, BlutEntropy said:

True, but when she's at the spa, or shopping, etc... it's the best time to go play magic. My fiancé actually will ask when to schedule spa days to coincide with when I want go to the LGS or meet up with a playgroup.... same goes for when I want to work on my car or play with my RCs (I like flying/driving cheap-o RC planes/car kits, and by flying/driving, I mean crashing and destroying- my real hobby is repairing them, but you gotta break them to repair them). 

Yoga is incredibly difficult for me as I am not flexible at all and have no balance what-so-ever... I've tried to do a few things with her at home, and it just isn't for me. Re: Spas- I don't like strangers touching me. Steam rooms, saunas and hot tubs are cool, but we wouldn't be able to do that together at the spa anyway, and I'd prefer shuffling and casting like a million times more.  When she insists, I will go to a couples massage though and just suck it up and do my best not to fart. 

Sticking to MTG players seems like a miserable dating pool for a cis-guy (straight).

Lasraik and Aurian like this

3 hours ago, BlutEntropy said:

Teach them to play.

My wife plays,and ive played with my kids a few times but sometimes id rather hang out at home than go to an lgs that im not all that crazy about.

2 hours ago, Aurian said:

That's fine too. It does surprise me however how few girlfriends/wives are interested in the game. We have a pretty large casual group here, many married, but I am the only woman attending! 

My wife @FaerieNoel plays but is a lurker here.

And yeah yoga sucks :(

rainman likes this

13 hours ago, LiberatedKarn said:

Sticking to MTG players seems like a miserable dating pool for a cis-guy (straight).

Cis means your gender identity is the same as your biological sex, not straight.

LiberatedKarn likes this

My wife had a go at MtG when we started going out, but never really enjoyed it. She will play X-wing (and beat me soundly), so I count that as a win :D As for yoga: I prefer Tai Chi. Depending on who teaches you, it can be very... practical.

Lasraik likes this

On 7/14/2016 at 0:22 PM, MTGZuby said:

On 7/14/2016 at 3:13 PM, LiberatedKarn said:

I usually skip FNM due to the same reasons, although she wouldn't mind me going I'd rather hang out and spend time with her and the kids.  I'm not that much of a try hard, I play for fun and don't take it too seriously so sometimes there are other things I'd rather be doing on a Friday night if I'm not at work.