Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

...Molimo!

17 posts in this topic

A big thanks to @Molimo for being featured in this months Spotlight On!  

Question: How has your summer been going?  Anything going on in your personal life?

Answer:  Summer has been really warm (for Alaska), but I haven't really made a lot of time outside of Magic and work to do much with it yet.  Some friends of mine and I are planning a river float trip that I won at a giveaway for Monday Night Football, and a few of us are trying to get some (pistol) range time in also while it's clear and sunny.  I've worked a lot of overtime this summer so far, but I've been turning that into toys I've wanted for a while instead of being responsible with it. I don't have much of a personal life; I work, I play card games, board games, League of Legends, and I go out with friends for dinners, concerts, drinks, etc.

Q: How did you get into Magic?

A:  Shortly after the game was released wide (early sets up to Revised were out, and it was closer to the time of Ice Age and 4th Edition), a bunch of kids at school got into it and I liked a lot of the art, but didn't get the game rules at first (we were playing wrong as kids will until you properly teach them).  I picked up a few starter decks though and some boosters, but didn't stay with the game all that long until middle school, when the kids had a lot better grasp of things and a lot more cards had been released.  It was this time that Magic really sunk in its hooks and I've been playing at least sporadically since in multiple formats.

Q: Understand you're a judge.  What was it about judging that made you want to get involved?

I'm a level 1 judge as of last month (former roommate and a good friend of mine is the level 2).  But I've been a Rules Adviser for a year and a half and one of the guys at the LGS that people have looked to for rulings since I helped get the FNM scene going at a second shop (Bosco's) in Anchorage back in 2010.  I got started with actually running the events because the people who were lost interest in the game and didn't really care about the store or the overall health of the Magic community, so they did a poor job of announcing upcoming events and keeping people coming back.  I was approached by the shop and a lot of the players to intervene somehow and started taking over to help out.

Q: If you could change one rule, what would it be?

A:  I think the overall rules of the game are in a pretty good place right now and I can't really think of something that needs to be changed.

Q: Any negative or positive experiences you've had while making rulings as a judge?

A:  There's rarely a true positive experience in making rulings, as you're usually telling, or at least confirming to the players, that one player or team is right and the other team is doomed.  The negative calls haven't been so bad (yet) for me personally, but I've seen players throw their decks like confetti, get belligerent and have to be removed from the event site because they got too involved in a match against a certain other player, or they take the call personally.

Q: What is your favorite part about Magic?

A:  As I've said in the other article about "Why we love MTG", the people make the experiences for me.  Friends got me playing and kept me interested, friends got me to help bring more and more people into the local Magic scene, friends got me into the Judge program to help give back to the people, and friends help to continuously get the cards for decks I want and help pimp out my cube with promos and foils.

Q: Which mechanic is your favorite and least favorite? 

A:  My least favorite mechanics are the ones that are pretty much irrelevant, but I still have to answer questions on and know how to make rulings with (banding, phasing, flanking, etc).  My favorite mechanic is probably Flash; it's so simple, yet so tricky and makes playing games very different when you know your opponent has it.  I love being able to represent many different options and making my opponents guess which one(s) I have.

Q:  What do you do when you're not playing Magic?  Any other hobbies or addictions?

A:  Outside of Magic, I play drums, League of Legends, board games such as DC Deckbuilder, Ascension, and Catan.  I love spending time with my friends and attending live music shows, playing pool or darts, bowling, sitting by a fire, or seeing the sites in Alaska.

Q: What do you do for a living?

A:  I've worked in grocery retail 12 years, currently for Kroger/Fred Meyer as a freight stocker.  Before that I was with Albertsons/Safeway in basically the same role, but I was also a department head for about 2 years with Safeway.  I currently stock HABA (mostly non-edible Food department items, soap, lotion, vitamins, cough/cold, candy), but I've also worked grocery, dairy, freeze, pricing, receiving, and loss prevention.

Q: You get to choose your last meal.  What would it be and why?

A:  My last meal would probably be something fairly simple, yet big and classic in the US; a nice cut of steak (mid-rare to medium), loaded baked potato, Caesar salad, a shot of the oldest Macallan scotch in the area, and some cold hefeweizen, because I just really enjoy everything on this menu.

rainman, Abaddon and JesGolbez like this

Awesome to hear that you kept the local magic scene going over there @Molimo, with all the talk online about card prices, buyouts, gp/pt coverage etc, it's easy to forget that the game is nothing without the regular folks being able to get together to play and have fun

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

You forgot to ask him if he could see Alaska from his house :P

On July 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM, JesGolbez said:

You forgot to ask him if he could see Alaska from his house :P

Of course I can see Alaska from my house, but definitely not Russia. :P

Manticore likes this

On July 19, 2016 at 0:01 PM, rainman said:

Awesome to hear that you kept the local magic scene going over there @Molimo, with all the talk online about card prices, buyouts, gp/pt coverage etc, it's easy to forget that the game is nothing without the regular folks being able to get together to play and have fun

I do what I can for the locals, including order online extras of chase cards to trade into the local scene at times since too few other people are willing to take that chance.

2 hours ago, Molimo said:

Of course I can see Alaska from my house, but definitely not Russia. :P

*facepalm* That is what I meant... wow, talk about my Sarah Palin moment :(

More overcast/heavier rainfall keeping the temperatures in the 60s and mid 70s. The past 2 summers, we've been hitting low-mid 90s in parts.

Lasraik likes this

It's not that bad once you've been playing a while at comp REL, you're already familiar with more of the rules than the average player.  Study the Judging At Regular guide and the Infractions Procedure Guide, brush up on your layers and applications of static effects, and RTFC in the questions and it's easy enough to get a passing score.

Manticore, Lasraik, rainman and 1 other like this

In a way, I had to rule if proxies were legal for a tournament I was judging a few times.  There are a few guys who make their own stickers to trim and adhere to the face of cards, and I had to make sure you could read the original card name and cost.  As far as legit dupes of cards though, not personally (yet), but the shop I usually help out has a flashlight, a jeweler's loupe and some other tools to help spot them behind the counter.

Lasraik likes this

On 7/26/2016 at 11:06 PM, Molimo said:

It's not that bad once you've been playing a while at comp REL, you're already familiar with more of the rules than the average player.  Study the Judging At Regular guide and the Infractions Procedure Guide, brush up on your layers and applications of static effects, and RTFC in the questions and it's easy enough to get a passing score.

Take some practice tests and re-read the rules sections pertaining to the questions you miss.  Don't rush it and take the judge test after you feel ready.  You should expect to score about the same on the actual test that you do on practice tests, so once you consistently get about 90%, you should make the final.