Question

OK question about Cloudshift and spells like it.  

12 (1).jpg

Let's say I have a 1/1 creature and my opponent has a 2/2 (or anything bigger than 1/1)

My opponent attacks with their 2/2.

Can I declare my 1/1 as a blocker, have it block the 2/2 and cast Cloudshift to bring it back to my hand (assuming it's not a token) before damage is assigned and it dies? 

GenericBadMagic likes this

15 answers to this question

Cloudshift flickers back to the battlefield, but yes, you can block and Shift something to keep it alive under normal circumstances. If the attacker has or gains trample, you're not stopping any damage though, so be careful with this. You also get leaves and enters the battlefield triggers again if the creature has those.

16 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

So if you flicker your 1/1 that is blocking his 2/2 trampler, you would take all 2 damage from trample?  How come?

I'm not going to fish for the exact rulings, but it is basically that if you block a 2/2 with a 1/1 and your 1/1 is removed before damage happens (flicker, sac, etc) the 2/2 is still dealing damage to a creature that doesn't exist, basically a 0/0 (although lifelink wouldn't apply there), so nothing happens. 

Now, if you block a 2/2 trample with a 1/1 and flicker your 1/1 before damage happens, your 1/1 re-enters as a "new" creature outside of combat. But the 2/2 is still dealing damage to the now non-existent creature. However, since it has trample, its damage goes through the "0/0" and hits you. 

The same thing happens with a 2/2 double strike, if the first strike kills the blocking creature, the second strike doesn't do anything because the creature doesn't exist any more. But if it is a 2/2 double strike, trample, than the 1 of the 2 damage would go through (if your blocking with a 1/1) on the first strike and the full 2 damage would go through on the second strike.

PS - it does not put it back into your hand. It puts it right back on the battlefield!

Some of these flicker spells return the creature to the field right away, while others do so at the end of turn. The end of turn ones are nice for dodging Wraths but does not allow you to flicker a tapped creature into a surprise untapped blocker. Both have their pros and cons! 

Lasraik and rainman like this

36 minutes ago, Aurian said:

Some of these flicker spells return the creature to the field right away, while others do so at the end of turn. The end of turn ones are nice for dodging Wraths but does not allow you to flicker a tapped creature into a surprise untapped blocker. Both have their pros and cons! 

Yep, and either kind would let you block and save your creature. Even the ones where it is returned immediately, the initial exiling removes it from combat

Lasraik likes this

Yeah mistyped on that one, back to the battlefield with this spell.

So I could assign as a blocker, cloudshift it and avoid all damage? Assuming trample isnt involved.

What if the attacking creature had death touch?

16 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Yeah mistyped on that one, back to the battlefield with this spell.

So I could assign as a blocker, cloudshift it and avoid all damage? Assuming trample isnt involved.

What if the attacking creature had death touch?

Death touch doesn't do anything, you do the flickering before any damage is dealt. Trample is bad though, the attacker now has to assign 0 damage to blockers so everything tramples over to you

ComboCrazy and Lasraik like this

16 hours ago, BlutEntropy said:

Just a little fun tidbit about cloudshift.

If you steal one of their creatures and cloudshift it, that creature will return and stay under your control.

Yeah a buddy of mine had a deck during the first innistrad block that used Zealous Conscripts to steal permanents and Cloudshift to keep them until the end of the game. Another friend used Conscripts with Deadeye Navigator and Gilded Lotus for unlimited Bonfires.

Lasraik likes this

On 7/21/2016 at 8:13 AM, Molimo said:

Cloudshift flickers back to the battlefield, but yes, you can block and Shift something to keep it alive under normal circumstances. If the attacker has or gains trample, you're not stopping any damage though, so be careful with this. You also get leaves and enters the battlefield triggers again if the creature has those.

So if you flicker your 1/1 that is blocking his 2/2 trampler, you would take all 2 damage from trample?  How come?

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

On 4/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, Breakfast with Nerds said:

I can look up the exact ruling wording but basically it works like this:

Trample damage does the amount of damage needed to kill the blocker then assigns the rest to the player. Since the blocker doesn't exist at damage time it needs to do 0 damage, so the 2 damage goes through.

rainman and Lasraik like this

On 2017-5-15 at 3:46 AM, TheCandyMan said:

I can look up the exact ruling wording but basically it works like this:

Trample damage does the amount of damage needed to kill the blocker then assigns the rest to the player. Since the blocker doesn't exist at damage time it needs to do 0 damage, so the 2 damage goes through.

Exactly right. In a similar way, if a creature deathtouch and trample, all but one damage can trample over to the defending player if it is as single blocked- 1 damage needed to kill the blocker, the rest to the player

Since the question is answered already I just wanted to contribute a bit of fun trivia, there was a time when if you had a 2/2 blocking another 2/2 and then cloudshifted it, their 2/2 would die and yours wouldn't.  Combat damage used to stack (up until Lorwyn, I think?), so you could manipulate things like that so your opponents creatures would take their damage but you would save yours by flickering or bouncing them.

I bring it up because I was playing White/Red Rescue during Time Spiral that was ENTIRELY built around the concept of stacking combat damage and then rescuing your creature (hence the name), then the rules changed and my deck literally didn't work anymore. :P

TheCandyMan and Lasraik like this

23 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Since the question is answered already I just wanted to contribute a bit of fun trivia, there was a time when if you had a 2/2 blocking another 2/2 and then cloudshifted it, their 2/2 would die and yours wouldn't.  Combat damage used to stack (up until Lorwyn, I think?), so you could manipulate things like that so your opponents creatures would take their damage but you would save yours by flickering or bouncing them.

I bring it up because I was playing White/Red Rescue during Time Spiral that was ENTIRELY built around the concept of stacking combat damage and then rescuing your creature (hence the name), then the rules changed and my deck literally didn't work anymore. :P

I remember when that change happened, lots of people were quite upset and took some getting used to

TheCandyMan likes this

On 21/07/2016 at 4:10 AM, Lasraik said:

OK question about Cloudshift and spells like it.  

12 (1).jpg

Let's say I have a 1/1 creature and my opponent has a 2/2 (or anything bigger than 1/1)

My opponent attacks with their 2/2.

Can I declare my 1/1 as a blocker, have it block the 2/2 and cast Cloudshift to bring it back to my hand (assuming it's not a token) before damage is assigned and it dies? 

It doesn't reach your hand but it is removed from play and returns immediately. The original iteration of the creature has been declared as a blocker so the opposing creature still tries to hit it, but imagine it as your creature sidesteps the swipe and opponents 2/2 hits air. No damage happens. Same as destroying or otherwise removing a blocking creature the block still happens but damage does not.

Temporal Magic likes this