Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlutEntropy

Whats your flavor of basics?

74 posts in this topic

Those original black border basics are hard to beat. Picking some up is still on my to do list, in the meantime I'm an unhinged guy, love the art on those.

Also a fan of the urza's saga basics, which I think John Avon was also involved the art for. For plains and mountains, ice age snow covered basics look great too, swamps islands forests not so much

6 hours ago, rainman said:

Those original black border basics are hard to beat. Picking some up is still on my to do list, in the meantime I'm an unhinged guy, love the art on those.

Also a fan of the urza's saga basics, which I think John Avon was also involved the art for. For plains and mountains, ice age snow covered basics look great too, swamps islands forests not so much

Those aren't originals, they are from revised technically.

The International release started with revised but they came in white and black borders.

I mostly use Unhinged as well, except for in limited, where I carry a box of BFZ basics (10 each for draft/sealed, 80 each for my cube).  Modern Merfolk is currently running Unglued Islands, as I got 26 from a friend in a mono U edh deck.

rainman likes this

6 hours ago, rainman said:

I'd love to pick up some more unglued lands. I threw all mine away about 15 years ago, what an idiot

yeah they are like $7-10 each now.

I liked full art Zendikar lands, but after BFZ they became less cool.  Since then I've been trying to use the older lands, not from a specific set but mostly from Revised (I think)

20160814_130600.jpg

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I liked full art Zendikar lands, but after BFZ they became less cool.  Since then I've been trying to use the older lands, not from a specific set but mostly from Revised (I think)

Definitely revised, there was no tap symbol before that, and 4th edition has 1995 in the copyright line

I mainly use BFZ Full art lands but I definitely prefer the basics from Urza and Tempest. I need to get my hands on more of those eventually.

8 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

I mainly use BFZ Full art lands but I definitely prefer the basics from Urza and Tempest. I need to get my hands on more of those eventually.

I team has huge stacks of tempest and Urza lands, I'm trying to get a hold of german ones, but it's tricky.

Abaddon likes this

50 minutes ago, Aurian said:

Foils from each set. However, now I am making the lands my own by doing alters to them. I'll have to post a picture later. :) 

Sweet!  Looking forward to checking those out

54 minutes ago, Aurian said:

Foils from each set. However, now I am making the lands my own by doing alters to them. I'll have to post a picture later. :) 

If I could run alters I would.

You can't really run them at high tier tournaments.

Thanks! I wish I saved more old pack wrappers... I only started with this Innistrad :( 

i am tempted to cherry pick some packs with art I like.... :mellow:

10 hours ago, Aurian said:

Thanks! I wish I saved more old pack wrappers... I only started with this Innistrad :( 

i am tempted to cherry pick some packs with art I like.... :mellow:

What older packs are you after?

1 hour ago, BlutEntropy said:

What older packs are you after?

Anything with some good pictures on the front. I really want to get some of the Tarkir packs with dragons on the front. Return to Ravica with Niv-Mizzet, 2015 Core Set Chandra, First Innestrad Liliana, werewolf; Ajani from Journey to Nyx.... 

1 hour ago, Aurian said:

Anything with some good pictures on the front. I really want to get some of the Tarkir packs with dragons on the front. Return to Ravica with Niv-Mizzet, 2015 Core Set Chandra, First Innestrad Liliana, werewolf; Ajani from Journey to Nyx.... 

I'll take a look in the back room at my shop to see what we have.

12 minutes ago, Aurian said:

That would be awesome :) 

I can almost positively say we don't have Innistrad. We might have dark ascension, Takir is easy enough to find still, I have a few russian boxes on 2015 in my collection, I don't know about RTR boxes, and I can easily pick up a box of jtn for like $30-40 since it has no value.

Aurian likes this