Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

188 posts in this topic

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 ... 4/10

I have seen every one in the series.  The first movie was excellent.  Catching Fire was decent.  Then the series took a left turn for the worse with Mockingjay.

Mockingjay part 2 continues that left turn.  Never mind that I didn't like the story.  I just didn't care for the flow of the movie or anything.  I could see some things coming.  It was one of those movies that try to jam to much in from a book and ends up doing a poor job.  Movies are usually about character development and this one does a poor job of it.

Even my son was like meh.

Is it just me, or is Jennifer Lawrence just meh too?

Black Mass 51%

I wanted and expected to like this film much more than I did. I have always liked Mr Depp and usually look forward to seeing his portrayal a wide range of interesting characters.

In this film, he portrays a real life 40-50 yo South Boston gangster, Whitey Bulger. Bulger, physically, is probably as far from Depp as you could get. Part of my problem is that I was constantly distracted by this fact. I don't think Depps make-up was very good, especially his eyes and, again, this distracted me. Also, the role called for, nay DEMANDED sequences of brooding and dark menace; something which I think Depp struggled with - I could just imagine many actors doing a far far better job.

Unfortunately, the story wasn't particularly compelling; we're fed up being sold films, such as this, based on their outrageous violence. Had the main role be played by someone more able to portray the full gamut demanded by the story, it could have gone from being distinctly average to superb.

Poor show Deppo, I am sorry to say.

The Martian - 7.5/10

A good flick with a nice sense of humour and a decent amount of sciency stuff. I love Sci-Fi, although I found MOON to be a better stranded-in-space-alone movie. Part of the problem with the Martian is that I never felt a whole lot of tension... the character just solved things far too easily.

My wife is reading the novel and says the movie was actually fairly faithful to the book, although the book has a lot more science and a lot more of the character struggling with the situation.

Not a movie I'd watch again, but a movie I'd recommend.

Moon is fantastic. Deserves more credit than it's given. Little known fact that is a lot more well known than people who quote it believe... it was directed and written by David Bowies son.

Bride of Spies. 52%. I was expecting to like it more than I did. I found it quite boring after about 30 mins TBH. Good acting and great direction, but the story was a bit dry and dull.

Deadpool B+

Finally a movie that isn't made for children or teenagers (looking at you, Marvel).  Instead, this movie contained cruel humor, violence and more violence for a fun ride.  Ryan Reynolds was made to play this character, after waiting many years for this movie to be made it wasn't a let down.  Rarely does that happen.  

Oh and it's definitely a hard R movie, don't think because it's a super hero movie you should take your kids to see it.  

Speaking taking kids to R rated movies, I had a few imbeciles take their 5 year olds into theater to see this movie and they wouldn't shut up.  This is why I rarely go to the theater and I wait for the blu-ray release.

Deadpool B+

Speaking taking kids to R rated movies, I had a few imbeciles take their 5 year olds into theater to see this movie and they wouldn't shut up.  This is why I rarely go to the theater and I wait for the blu-ray release.

2 of my buddies wanted to take their kids because it was a marvel superhero movie. Shocking how people don't pay attention, even those that you think would.

25th Hour C-

A Spike Lee "joint" as described in the opening credits, I had high hopes for this movie but it should have been a short story instead of a 2 hour long movie.  Lots of background on friends and history of these characters when the majority of it went nowhere.  Good performances by actors ruined by empty plot lines.  The New York boner was over the top, you love New York, we get it.  Put your pants back on and tell a better story.  The end was left open but I have my opinions on that, if anyone else does I'd be interested to hear your take on it.  For those of you who have no intention of ever watching this movie you can watch the best part of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo

Kingsman: The Secret Service F

Have to be honest and say that I only went about 20 minutes into this one before I gave up.  Not my type of movie really, the style and story all seemed to familiar to me and I could already tell you what is probably going to happen.  More of the same and I had no desire to go down that road again.

Meadowland D

If you don't feel like slitting your wrists, you will after watching this movie.  Very heavy subject matter with really no breaks or relief, it starts to weigh on you towards the end of the film.  And I'm guessing that was the intention to convey what the characters were going through with their sense of loss, regret and not knowing what happened to their son.  Another movie that should have been a short story.

The Drop B

Tom Hardy doesn't get enough credit for his acting chops.  The dude has some talent and you hardly ever hear anyone talk about it.  I really love gritty street level crime movies and although this isn't without it's faults I enjoyed it.  The main character doesn't turn into Jason Bourne halfway through or become the hero we all deserve, he's just a dude working at a bar that's mixed up in some stuff.