Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

241 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Thor: Ragnorok

Easily my favorite MCU movie.  Funny, great story and characters.  Didn't get bogged down with too much of the other MCU characters or movies, which was good for me.  I didn't love Mark Ruffalo, but other than that it was lots of fun.

Grade: B+

Avengers: Infinity War

After hearing how great this movie was and how it was a cum-in-your-pants life changing event, I finally gave in and watched Thor: Ragnorok and Avengers: Infinity War.  What a disappointment.  I'm notorious for not bowing to the throne of the MCU, but I really did give this one a shot.  I don't get the love for this movie.  Thanos was fine, but his motivations didn't make sense.  The constant quips and jokes just fell flat, and maybe because I don't love the MCU characters is why I didn't care who survived.  Besides, we all know those who died are coming back because there are so many of their movies being made right now and have release dates. 

So really, nothing happened. 

Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments.  Dr. Strange was actually pretty cool (I haven't seen that movie) and Scarlett Witch... well... I can't complain about her.  But everything else was meh.  I had a hard time staying awake about half way through.  Too many storylines and too many characters going at once.  

These movies just aren't my cup of tea, but if you love them then good for you.  It's sad how tribal movie goers have become over these movies.

Grade: D

At last. Someone who doesn't think the sun shines out of that films arse. I mean it was fine n stuff, but nothing amazing. 

I also didn't Ragnarok was amazing. I watched a clip that didn't make the final cut, of Thor eating breakfast. Funniest moment of the film wasn't in the film IMO.

Lasraik likes this

Solo 50%.

So average. Paul Bettany was good, but offset by the mundanity of everyone else. Han himself was very badly cast, and in terms of historic casting errors, that has to be up there. Chewie was underused.  The bot-with-character trope, which is probably going to be used on every SW movie ever now, after K2SO4, was OK. Even the transformation from old shape falcon to new shape was nothing more than a panel falling off, without any actual mention of it in the film - so obviously a shit reason to sell more models.

I actually liked this less than 1-3, but i'm someone who never hated 1-3.

Future world 10%

I can't even be arsed to write about it. I spent 90 minutes reading my laptop instead. The best bit was the robots arse.

The Fellowship of the Ring - 92%

Watched this with Fin for the first time on Sunday. He really enjoyed it, and managed to last 3 hours and 45 minutes. I haven't had the heart to tell him that part 2 is longer and part 3 is nearly 4.5 hours long.

Tully 59%

Charlize once again show that she can method act the shit outta most ppl. Interesting twist.

A Prayer before Dawn 45%

Seemed like it should have been great, but was just too myopic and narrow visioned for me, and it has all been done before. 

3 hours ago, bonelesspizza said:

Just watched Rampage. 10% It was pretty awful, zero story, great special effects.

That's about what I'd give Rampage, too.  It was almost like they said: "OK, you go be the Rock and remind everyone how cool you are and we'll throw lots of special effects in.  What can go wrong?"

Posted (edited)

Hotel Artemis - 51%

Very average yawner. Seemed to lack vision and scope. The story was a bit all over the place, especially how they tried to weave in back stories. I felt i really should have cared about the main protagonist, and i really like Jodie Foster. but that wasn't enough. It was bascially full of interesting characters that, if it were in someone else's hands, could have been superb.

Edited by Pasanda

On 10/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, bonelesspizza said:

what about Venom? that looks pretty good but the reviews say its pretty boring.

I want to take the kids to see it tomorrow. 

The reviews on this movie are very odd.  Tomato meter has it at 30 and dropping.  Audience score is at 89.  IMDB at 7.1 and google at 95%.  Never seen such a wide variety of opinions.

1 hour ago, Dunnar said:

I want to take the kids to see it tomorrow. 

The reviews on this movie are very odd.  Tomato meter has it at 30 and dropping.  Audience score is at 89.  IMDB at 7.1 and google at 95%.  Never seen such a wide variety of opinions.

Tomato meter can be highly up it's own arse, as can many professional critics. If i see a film with a volume of audience feedback and it's high, i'd believe that first.

Venom: 8.5/10

I loved this movie, for various reasons. While the story was a little thin, I loved the rest of it. The action, the interactions between Venom and Eddie, and just the general hopelessness portrayed by Tom Hardy as Eddie after he lost his job as a journalist.

Also, anyone else hyped for Woody Harrelson as Carnage when this inevitably gets a sequel?

Edit:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://filmschoolrejects.com/venom-box-office/

VENOM'S GETTING A SEQUEL BSIFYHBUY((Q_W#UUU(WFBHIJ

CARRRRRRRNNNNNAAAAAGE

Venom 6.5/10

The story is poor.  The transformation of venom is extremely poor.  The Venom/Eddie banter was okay, but there was room for improvement.  You could see how everything was going to play out from a mile away.  Overall, it was poorly written and you artsy guys probably won't enjoy it.

That said, the character is that cool.  How he was used, the limits of his power, all of that was so good that it raised the entire level of the movie and made it enjoyable.

Another slight criticism ... the alien form as the blob of stuff, looked way too fake to me.  I get they can do cool CGI stuff, but at least make something that appears real. 

Same with Venom in his natural form.  Looks to fake at times (like Hulk did).  They are getting close to making things look real, but still have some distance to go.

On 12/10/2018 at 0:34 PM, Dunnar said:

Venom 6.5/10

The story is poor.  The transformation of venom is extremely poor.  The Venom/Eddie banter was okay, but there was room for improvement.  You could see how everything was going to play out from a mile away.  Overall, it was poorly written and you artsy guys probably won't enjoy it.

That said, the character is that cool.  How he was used, the limits of his power, all of that was so good that it raised the entire level of the movie and made it enjoyable.

Another slight criticism ... the alien form as the blob of stuff, looked way too fake to me.  I get they can do cool CGI stuff, but at least make something that appears real. 

Same with Venom in his natural form.  Looks to fake at times (like Hulk did).  They are getting close to making things look real, but still have some distance to go.

If you consider that they can make things look actually real, when they don't, I tend to think that they choose not to. Why? I have no idea. Consider the truck sequence in ant man and the wasp.