Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

188 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm late (ok really late) to the party on this one.  Long movie but didn't feel like a long movie.  Kept me entertained and I'm really surprised they haven't already made sequels.  Think I read they are developing more now.

Grade: B

Suicide Squad

If you haven't seen this movie I'm sure you've heard about all the bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Well, these are the same "critics" that gave the shitfest Ghosbusters movie 73% and declared it "fresh".  Go see a movie and judge it for yourself, don't listen to the bloggers and keyboard warriors.  That said, it's not a great movie, it's not a bad movie.  It has problems with the third act but overall it's mindless dumb fun.  Margot Robbie did a fantastic job being Harley Quinn and the rest of the cast did a good job, too.  It's like a two hour long music video, I enjoyed it for what it was.  

Grade: B-

Wolphard likes this

On 18-8-2016 at 3:37 AM, Lasraik said:

Suicide Squad

If you haven't seen this movie I'm sure you've heard about all the bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Well, these are the same "critics" that gave the shitfest Ghosbusters movie 73% and declared it "fresh".  Go see a movie and judge it for yourself, don't listen to the bloggers and keyboard warriors.  That said, it's not a great movie, it's not a bad movie.  It has problems with the third act but overall it's mindless dumb fun.  Margot Robbie did a fantastic job being Harley Quinn and the rest of the cast did a good job, too.  It's like a two hour long music video, I enjoyed it for what it was.  

Whew, was beginning to think I was the only one that liked it. I liked Margot Robbie. But then again, she wás wearing next to nothing. So that could have affected my judgement. The mrs. was on about the ending taking waaay too long too. I didn't notice, was just chuffed there was stuff being destroyed and blown up.

Having said that:

• I saw your Kingsman: Secret Service review on the first page. :o Absolutely loved that one.
  • I'm unfamiliar with your grading. I know A & B a good. Is C still a passable grade? How bad is a D, and I never see/hear any mention of an E?
Lasraik likes this

The new Star Wars. I'd give it a B-

It was an entertaining film, and done much better than the prequels. Still, it felt like a re-hash of A New Hope, and there wasn't a whole lot of anything really new or unpredictable. I still felt like they could have done more with the two main characters (make the female less Mary Sue and expand on the stormtroopers background a little), and they should not have unmasked Kylo Ren. 

Lasraik likes this

6 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Whew, was beginning to think I was the only one that liked it. I liked Margot Robbie. But then again, she wás wearing next to nothing. So that could have affected my judgement. The mrs. was on about the ending taking waaay too long too. I didn't notice, was just chuffed there was stuff being destroyed and blown up.

Having said that:

• I saw your Kingsman: Secret Service review on the first page. :o Absolutely loved that one.
  • I'm unfamiliar with your grading. I know A & B a good. Is C still a passable grade? How bad is a D, and I never see/hear any mention of an E?

Her wearing next to nothing may have clouded my  judgement as well, but can honestly say I thought she did a good job with Harley.  I got the feeling she was really trying to capture the character on film.  

Ei-vlK0fB7xl.jpg

By the way, I thought Jared Leto did a pretty good job with the Joker.  Everyone expects another Ledger-esque Joker but they will all be different.  I thought the Leto portrayal was more in line with Michael Keaton Batman film.

On 8/22/2016 at 11:34 AM, JesGolbez said:

The new Star Wars. I'd give it a B-

It was an entertaining film, and done much better than the prequels. Still, it felt like a re-hash of A New Hope, and there wasn't a whole lot of anything really new or unpredictable. I still felt like they could have done more with the two main characters (make the female less Mary Sue and expand on the stormtroopers background a little), and they should not have unmasked Kylo Ren. 

Yes, unfortunately the movie industry has adapted itself into the same four cord song the music industry pushes on us.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

The Shallows

Seems like this movie was an excuse to get Blake Lively in a bikini for 2 hours.  There's a question asked at the beginning of the movie that you expect to come to mean something later but it never develops into anything at all.  The sub plot falls flat and it's another movie that would have been much better an hour long instead of two.  Blake Lively was actually OK in it.  Everything else I've seen her in has been pretty underwhelming but she did a decent job in this one.  All that being said, it wasn't all that bad.  Pretty forgettable but if you like shark or survival movies it might be worth checking out.  

shallows_0.jpg

Grade: C

The Purge: Election Year

The idea of a yearly purge where for 12 hours nothing is off limits is pretty terrifying.  The idea behind the purge has always been better than the movies they've made about it.  If you've seen the first two you know what to expect in this one.  It does a decent job of creating a story behind the idea, but the acting and performances are pretty bad all the way through.  I got the feeling that each movie tries to be even more violent and shocking than the previous and they try to out-do themselves.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it's just violence for violence sake.

There are a couple stand outs but for the most part nothing really exciting here.  And why does everyone in these movies always prepare for the purge at the very last minute?  It's like vampire hunters setting out to kill Dracula but waiting till sundown to raid the castle.  

Grade: C

The new Star Trek - Less Star Trek more space action flick.  Not great, but a lot of fun. 7/10

X-Men Apocalypse -  The thing that always gets me about these movies, is that any idiot can see the best use for powers after about 10 seconds of watching the show, yet they build up false drama.  They made Apocalypse into an idiot.  That kind of ruined the show for me.  The cool effects and action are enough to save it.  6/10

Edited by Jag
Lasraik likes this

Don't Breathe 

If you enjoy horror or suspense movies you'll probably like this one.  All you need to know is some teenagers try to break into a blind mans house.  Want to know more about the plot?  Don't.  Don't watch a trailer or read a synopsis, it will spoil the best parts of the movie.

It does fall into some typical horror movie traps towards the end, but it's still a fun ride.

Grade: B

X-Men Apocalypse

Can they just change stop this franchise and start making Magneto movies with Fassbender?  He's the most interesting character and really the only one I cared about.  The movie is based in the 80's and it looks like they tried to make the CGI look like it was made in the 80's, too.  Although we did get Olivia Munn in a Psylocke uniform, this movie was a dud.

Grade: D

Cap A: Civil War:  I loved this one.  Story line was pretty good, the villain had no super powers to speak of and just exploits the egos of the Avengers.  The black panther was well done.  The take on spider man was my favorite yet.  I love super hero movies so it does not take much for me to have a good time.  8/10

Anthropoid

Didn't realize this movie was based off of actual events, or much of the history behind it.  Pretty solid movie, it does a good job of building suspense and tension.  My only complaint is some of their accents are difficult to understand at first.

Grade: B+

A Most Violent Year

I was expecting a gritty crime drama, maybe that's why I was underwhelmed.  Some good performances but they have little to work with.  Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain are great in this movie but it falls flat.  I like slow movies that build up to something but there was nothing at the end that tied everything together or painted a whole picture of what was happening the whole time.  

Grade: C- 

Star Trek: Beyond

Thought it was pretty good, but seemed like they're just repeating the plot over and over.

Magnificent 7

Amazing. I couldn't get over how well each actor did with their characters. Chris Pratt as Faraday made me extremely happy. Maybe a little bit historically inaccurate (Not sure how willing people would be to be following a black man in the late 1800s, but maybe that's just me.) Also, cut and paste douchebag villian

Grade: A-

Lasraik likes this

Neon Demon 

I don't like calling movies pretentious.  The word gets thrown around a lot to often describe movies that aren't all about explosions and gun fights, requiring a second or third viewing to catch everything you may have missed.  But I like those kinds of movies.  But I'm going to say it: Neon Demon is pretentious.  

It's visually impressive.  But often a shot of someones reaction lasts for 30 seconds longer than it should and an hour in you'll be checking how much time is left in the movie.  The end is one of those WTF moments you hear people talk about but I'm not sure it's worth watching to experience it.  It's a 30 minute short that ended up being a 2 hour movie.

Grade: D-

Blood Father

When I was a kid I loved movies like Lethal Weapon and even Braveheart.  But later in life on re-watches I realized how terrible Mel Gibson is at pretty much everything he's ever done.  Even not considering the stupid shit he's said in real life, he's not someone I care to see.  I kept hearing how good Blood Father was and I had some time so I figured I'd give it a watch.  It's a movie that 10 minutes in you can predict how the second and third acts like play out.  It's very by the numbers and nothing new is done here.  

Grade: C-

Lights Out

After hearing a little about the short that the movie is based on and seeing the trailer, it piqued my interest.  The plot of this movie is pretty goofy, and when most people would scared out of their minds and looking for a new pair of undies, the actors seemed pretty calm and collected.  I found myself really not caring about the characters because none of them were very likable.  There are some pretty scary visuals and the villain in the movie has it's moments but that's about it.  If they had done more with the main plot it could have been a much better movie.  

Grade: C+

@Aurian and I finally got around to watching X-Men: Apocalypse

In Aurian's paraphrased words: "Why do they need to keep re-making the world?"

I'd give it a 2/5. It's a decent popcorn movie, but there are so many holes and pitfalls that I really don't enjoy many of the X-Men movies as much as I maybe should. The action is OK, and there are some good light-hearted moments, but if this movie didn't have the Marvel/X-men attachment, it would be just another forgettable action flick.

1. Sansa Stark is a shitty actress when she's not playing Sansa Stark. Sorry, but Jean Grey is not Sansa Stark.
  2. QuickSilver is still too overpowered in this universe.
  3.  Magneto's change of heart happened way too easily. If he was really that angry with the world, and humanity, I doubt he would have given in to easily to what Quicksilver and Mystique were saying.
  4.  Apocaylpse is pretty bad-ass villain, and I really wish they could have done more with him. I also wish they would have made him more well-rounded in terms of personality. 
  5.  Olivia Munn couldn't act her way out of a paper bag
  6. The whole mutants v. humans thing gets a bit old, especially when they never take it much anywhere. 
  7. Nightcrawler is awesome
  8. The scene near the end of the movie, when Magneto and Jean are putting the X-Mansion back together, is jump-the-shark level of cringe. Sorry, but splintered wood and stone doesn't just molecularly put itself together like that. 
Aurian and Lasraik like this

8 minutes ago, Jag said:

Haha Jes.  Mutants..check, immortals...check, superpowers...check, Splinters going back into wood...WTF!  No way, movie ruined!  I tend to overlook all that stuff and enjoy the fairy tale.

Oh, I am fully capable of suspending disbelief, but there has to be a limit to it. 

Chucking Fireballs? Sure.

Re-assembling splintered stone and wood just by floating it together? No.

It's the same Mary Sue element that the main character of that Star Wars movie (she was so bland, I forgot her name) displayed... if a character is good at everything, it creates no tension. 

4 hours ago, Aurian said:

I have a soft spot for the Xmen, but I am tired of them doing an origin story over and over again. I might start having to pass on future ones.

It is fun to see different takes on the mutants though. Liked Nightcrawler in all of them so far :) 

Wouldn't mind them doing a Magneto solo series with Fassbender.  Bryan Singer is the problem with that franchise. 

Full disclaimer ... I am a Harry Potter fan.  Read all the books, saw all the movies.  Even been to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios.  Thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4/10

It took forever to get going.  I even did a time check at one point.  The plot was bad.  It really started out slow and went nowhere.  I didn't care for the main character.  In fact, they really didn't make you care about any of the characters much at all.  Save toward the end.

The world that is it set in, the imagination involved and the creatures they showed were spectacular.  But that is what you expect from that universe.  Maybe I'm being harsh because I expected more.  But I really don't understand where the positive reviews are coming from.

The kids loved it and thought it was good.  But my 14 year old even commented that it started out slow.

If you thought the reconstruction in X-men was a little far fetched, just wait ...