Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

188 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dunnar said:

Full disclaimer ... I am a Harry Potter fan.  Read all the books, saw all the movies.  Even been to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios.  Thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4/10

It took forever to get going.  I even did a time check at one point.  The plot was bad.  It really started out slow and went nowhere.  I didn't care for the main character.  In fact, they really didn't make you care about any of the characters much at all.  Save toward the end.

The world that is it set in, the imagination involved and the creatures they showed were spectacular.  But that is what you expect from that universe.  Maybe I'm being harsh because I expected more.  But I really don't understand where the positive reviews are coming from.

The kids loved it and thought it was good.  But my 14 year old even commented that it started out slow.

If you thought the reconstruction in X-men was a little far fetched, just wait ...

Strange that I've seen so little hype for this movie... IT could be that Harry Potter burned itself out, and its audience outgrew it, but maybe Rowling and co were phoning it in and knew it would suck? 

50 minutes ago, Jag said:

She found out it was a lot easier to just write a half assed script and cash in than actually write a book.first.

I checked and she did write the book first.  The book gets really good reviews.  Maybe it just didnt translate well into a movie.  Then again, the movie is getting pretty good reviews.  The Phantom Menace got a 6.5 ... so maybe its just fans blindly reviewing.

Lasraik likes this

25 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

I checked and she did write the book first.  The book gets really good reviews.  Maybe it just didnt translate well into a movie.  Then again, the movie is getting pretty good reviews.  The Phantom Menace got a 6.5 ... so maybe its just fans blindly reviewing.

Yup. Fanbois/girls, crony reviewers (who rate everything highly), and people who give any franchise high marks will always make the # too high. 

If the Phantom Menace was the first Star Ways movie we were given, it would be rated much lower. 

Lasraik likes this

I believe the actual book is also not a story like Harry Potter but like a 'research' book written as if by the actual character writing about the creatures.  One book wasn't enough to justify three films (The Hobbit) let alone six....

Watched Rogue One today.  I normally give myself a day or two before making any decisions about the worth of a film, but I'm calling it now: one of the best Star Wars films, up there with Empire Strikes Back and better than Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. It has a strong, coherent plot, memorable characters, actual emotional depth... and its adds to the substance of the films set after it!

Lasraik likes this

Well, it actually had a plot line and stuck to it, so immediately better than most of the Star Wars out there (lets be honest, Force Awakens was just a sequence of events that just happen).  I think its cool that it actually makes A New Hope actually make a bit more sense by explaining how one hole could destroy the whole thing.

Lasraik likes this

Finally watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Give it about a 6/10. Felt like not a lot happened. It was ok. I loved all the old Planet of the Apes movies so I was sort of expecting the same with this movie but got something different. I'll need to watch the sequel and see if it shapes up any better.

Lasraik likes this

I thought Rogue one was great.  I rate it 4th behind the original Trilogy.  I was disappointed we did not get to see the death of "Many Both-ans" but whatever.  It gave a lot of perspective to the plight of the rebellion. Tons of Easter eggs from all the other prequels and the clone wars cartoons.  I love Donnie Yen.  It tied a lot of things together and completely debunked this documentary:

Lasraik likes this

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

With all the talk about Star Wars: Rouge One I figured it was time to watch TFA.  I'm actually interested in seeing Rouge One and if by some miracle I make an impromptu trip I don't want to miss anything or watch them out of sequence.

Look, I've never been crazy about Star Wars.  I know people grew up with it and they chub just seeing the name on the screen.  I get it.  There's lots of TV shows and movies I like because I have some kind of connection with it that I otherwise would think is complete shit.

This movie was bad.  The acting wasn't great, the constant wise cracking was cringey AF and the story pacing sucked.  Kylo Ren?  Are you fucking kidding me?  Darth Vader was an evil mofo, you feared him.  Kylo Ren acted like an spoiled brat and threw hissy fits when he didn't get what he wanted.  What a missed opportunity to make a bad ass villain.  

Why does everyone in the story have to be related?  Why does each character have to be someones child?  It makes the galaxy seem like a pretty small place when all the important people are from two or three families.  Instead of bringing back old characters as fan service, they should have started fresh with maybe one or two of them that would help the franchise along.

Oh and Princess Leia.  Yikes.  Cocaine is a helluva drug apparently.  

Spoiler

The whole movie builds up to finding Luke.  They find him and it's 30 seconds of no dialogue before we get end credits?  They didn't even really explain why he disappeared in the first place.  What exactly happened the caused him to exile himself like that?  It didn't fit with the character after all that happened in previous movies imho.

And Han Solo?  You saw that shit coming from a mile away.  How could Han Solo an Leia raise a kid that would become the main villain?  Man, they are really horrible parents.

Grade: C-

MTGZuby likes this

24 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

With all the talk about Star Wars: Rouge One I figured it was time to watch TFA.  I'm actually interested in seeing Rouge One and if by some miracle I make an impromptu trip I don't want to miss anything or watch them out of sequence.

Look, I've never been crazy about Star Wars.  I know people grew up with it and they chub just seeing the name on the screen.  I get it.  There's lots of TV shows and movies I like because I have some kind of connection with it that I otherwise would think is complete shit.

This movie was bad.  The acting wasn't great, the constant wise cracking was cringey AF and the story pacing sucked.  Kylo Ren?  Are you fucking kidding me?  Darth Vader was an evil mofo, you feared him.  Kylo Ren acted like an spoiled brat and threw hissy fits when he didn't get what he wanted.  What a missed opportunity to make a bad ass villain.  

Why does everyone in the story have to be related?  Why does each character have to be someones child?  It makes the galaxy seem like a pretty small place when all the important people are from two or three families.  Instead of bringing back old characters as fan service, they should have started fresh with maybe one or two of them that would help the franchise along.

Oh and Princess Leia.  Yikes.  Cocaine is a helluva drug apparently.  

Hide contents

The whole movie builds up to finding Luke.  They find him and it's 30 seconds of no dialogue before we get end credits?  They didn't even really explain why he disappeared in the first place.  What exactly happened the caused him to exile himself like that?  It didn't fit with the character after all that happened in previous movies imho.

And Han Solo?  You saw that shit coming from a mile away.  How could Han Solo an Leia raise a kid that would become the main villain?  Man, they are really horrible parents.

Grade: C-

I respect your opinion. I know a lot of people didn't like TFA because it closely resembled A New Hope and I get that.

I also understand a lot of people didn't like Kylo. I liked him and here is why. Maybe because I relate to him in a way. It's assumed that Han wasn't there for Kylo that much while growing up and I can feel Kylo's pain in that aspect. My father left us as kids and was in and out of our childhood. Kylo gets sent off to train with Luke and while not explained yet he betrays Luke and kills his students or does something really bad. He looks up to Vader because everything he probably heard about him sounds exactly like the type of man he should be and wanted in a father.

Lasraik likes this

Was Kylo really that different from the way Anikin was portrayed?  I see what they wanted to do with him, petulant, entitled, weak, a teenager who grew up with everything.  While training he gets enticed to the dark side because he was so weak.  Kills Luke's wife and mother of Ren.  He might be bad ass later, he doesn't even have a strong mastery of the force ATM.  I hope they are able to mature him.  I don't like Adam driver as the choice, but I can see what they were attempting.  He was defeated by Ren who had no training, he will grow more Evil we can hope.

Boag likes this

TFA is overrated I have to admit.  I watched it the night before going to see Rogue One and the two films are like night and day.  TFA the plot actually is "And then..."  Literally, its a series of events, or rather 'cool set pieces', tied together by, well, nothing at all.  Han and Chewie just 'happen' on the Falcon, the Falcon just 'happen' to be on Jakku, etc...  Personally I blame JJ Abrams, it has his foul stench all over, its his usual MO, just look at the new Star Treks.  Daisy, who plays Rey, either can't act or its another case of the director (just look how bad otherwise good actors performed in the prequels) not giving proper guidance, and spends the entire film with just two expressions on her face: angry and sour puss.  Hopefully, with a better director in the next film, she'll be better, but at the moment she's kinda the Star Wars version of Kirsten Stewart to me. 

I do like TFA, but I put it on the same par as Return of the Jedi: had potential, and enjoyable to watch as long as you don't think too hard about what is going on, but once you do it kinda falls apart.  Rogue One, I would put up there with Empire Strikes Back.  It actually has a plotline, which for a Star Wars is a big thing in itself...

MTGZuby, Boag and Lasraik like this

I absolutely loved the 2009 Star Trek.  It is one of my favorite movies.  I had really high hopes JJ would do the same for SW.  I am still so disappointed he went with the retread story line.  THERE WAS SO MUCH GREAT CANON to pull from.  They destroyed decades of great work for that?!  Meh.  Too bad.

Edited by Jag
Boag likes this

On 12/17/2016 at 8:19 AM, Jazz said:

Watched Rogue One today.  I normally give myself a day or two before making any decisions about the worth of a film, but I'm calling it now: one of the best Star Wars films, up there with Empire Strikes Back and better than Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens. It has a strong, coherent plot, memorable characters, actual emotional depth... and its adds to the substance of the films set after it!

TO be fair, it doesn't have a really high bar... The 1-3 trilogy all sucked, and The Force Awakens was 'meh'... 

Jazz and Lasraik like this

Last year this time:

>"Seen The Force Awakens?"

<"Yeah, I loved it. It was great."

This year:

>"Meh. Actually... When I analyze the film... I don't think it is all that good. Plotline blablabla, characters blablabla."

<"Yeah, you're totally right. It's just sooo overrated. Stupid director, blablabla. Bad actors, blablabla. Leia isn't hot anymore 35 years onward, blablabla."

Jesus

Fucking

Christ

You sound like a bunch of old, whiny bitches. If you didn't like it the first time, don't watch it fucking TWICE.

Lasraik and Elovia like this

11 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Last year this time:

This year:

>"Meh. Actually... When I analyze the film... I don't think it is all that good. Plotline blablabla, characters blablabla."

<"Yeah, you're totally right. It's just sooo overrated. Stupid director, blablabla. Bad actors, blablabla. Leia isn't hot anymore 35 years onward, blablabla."

Jesus

Fucking

Christ

You sound like a bunch of old, whiny bitches. If you didn't like it the first time, don't watch it fucking TWICE.

After episodes 1-3 of course we would get excited by any Star Wars film that showed any kind of improvement.  And I didn't say it was bad or overrated or even that I didn't like it, I actually put it on equal footing with Return of the Jedi, both films that are enjoyable with flaws (though most of TFA's flaws could have been avoided by ending the life of JJ Abrams, too late for that now though).  As the two newest Star Wars films they are going to be compared to each other for various reasons though, and out of the two I think Rogue One is the better one, and we'll talk about where either of them failed.  

I'm actually really quite pleased and happy with Rogue One.  Like I said, I put it up there with Empire Strikes Back, which means I possibly consider second-best if not joint-best (waiting to see how well it lasts) Star Wars film so far.  The others not being among the best does not make them terrible, and pointing out flaws doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

Lasraik and Boag like this

19 hours ago, Wolphard said:

Last year this time:

This year:

Jesus

Fucking

Christ

<3