Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

188 posts in this topic

Kingsman: The Golden Circle- 9/10

This was a pretty great sequel to the first movie. However, it doesn't quite live up to the original. But, they avoided joking about Trump, which is "FUCKING SPECTACULAR!" in the immortal words of Merlin

Also, Elton John was HILARIOUS

Lasraik likes this

IT

I was trying to wait until after I finished the novel before I watched the movie but I'm only about halfway through and by the time I finish the movie will be on blu ray.  Other than 'Alien: Covenant' this was my most anticipated movie of the year.  

The movie wasn't scary and I don't want to sound like a book snob (especially because I'm not even done with the book) but I didn't care for the movie at all.  There was little to no setup or background on the characters and even though the kids did well I didn't really feel like they were developed.

Grade: D

Blade Runner 2049 70%

I grew up with the original as my joint all-time favourite film, along with SW. So this had a lot to live up to.

I thought the film did a great job of being a Blade runner film. I loved the non-break-neck pace, which gave me time to think and consider what was happening, without stretching it out too much. If anything, the vision of a dystopian future was even more depressing that the first, and probably because it was even more believable. I read a view of the original only last week that said the one could tell each shot was meticulously considered; indeed, the shot with Rachel walking towards Deckard, when they are first introduced, remains one of my favourite scenes in a film, and was specifically re-presented in 2049. 2049 tried to give a similar meticulously crafted product and would probably have been superior, had it done it first.

Also, you will not be disappointed by the massive Vangelis synths, which weren't Vangelis, but included many references to the original score.

Definitely worth a watch.

War for the Planet of the Apes 79%

Unhyped. No mega-trailers, with trailers for trailers. One of the standout films of the year. Similarly, i came to DotPotA with no preconceptions, and really enjoyed it much more than expected. RotPotA was decent enough. This is another level of better. I've been discussing with friends how i used to consider the quality of effects as a major draw, yet sadly haven't looked upon them quite so appeallingly for many years. In fact, i thought i'd lost the child-like amazement for SFX altogether. I was wrong. WftPotA as just stunning. But it's not just the CGI; it's that skill at characterisation that really makes it just totally convincing that i am watching an intelligent ape. But, hey, the story was also excellent and did a first class job of moving the story forward to where the 70's films took off. And I can only imagine how hard it is to act, when 95% of the cast aren't there. 

Watch it.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

Bloodsport 5/10

My son was watching a cartoon (He was grounded from the internet lol) and I said that is the guy from Bloodsport.  He said what is that so I took the opportunity to introduce him to Mr. Jean-Claude Van Damme. 

The acting is so bad its laughable.  The story is clunky and the dialogue is something out of a middle school play.  Even the makeup generated some laughs.  If you were an Oscar judge, or even a county fair judge, there is nothing of value to rate when it comes to this movie.  Why does it earn 5/10?  Because it is so bad it is actually good.  There is a reason its a classic.  It makes for an enjoyable watch that is highly entertaining.

I mixed up my late 80s JCVD movies.  Turns out the villain from the cartoon was from Kickboxer so I have to find a copy of that to for us watch.  On a side note, its a lot of fun watching older movies with my kids.  I was about my son's age when this movie came out.

Lasraik likes this

15 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Bloodsport 5/10

My son was watching a cartoon (He was grounded from the internet lol) and I said that is the guy from Bloodsport.  He said what is that so I took the opportunity to introduce him to Mr. Jean-Claude Van Damme. 

The acting is so bad its laughable.  The story is clunky and the dialogue is something out of a middle school play.  Even the makeup generated some laughs.  If you were an Oscar judge, or even a county fair judge, there is nothing of value to rate when it comes to this movie.  Why does it earn 5/10?  Because it is so bad it is actually good.  There is a reason its a classic.  It makes for an enjoyable watch that is highly entertaining.

I mixed up my late 80s JCVD movies.  Turns out the villain from the cartoon was from Kickboxer so I have to find a copy of that to for us watch.  On a side note, its a lot of fun watching older movies with my kids.  I was about my son's age when this movie came out.

I couldn't help it...I have to

giphy.gif

Elovia, Dunnar and Jag like this