Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

241 posts in this topic

Kingsman: The Golden Circle- 9/10

This was a pretty great sequel to the first movie. However, it doesn't quite live up to the original. But, they avoided joking about Trump, which is "FUCKING SPECTACULAR!" in the immortal words of Merlin

Also, Elton John was HILARIOUS

Lasraik likes this

IT

I was trying to wait until after I finished the novel before I watched the movie but I'm only about halfway through and by the time I finish the movie will be on blu ray.  Other than 'Alien: Covenant' this was my most anticipated movie of the year.  

The movie wasn't scary and I don't want to sound like a book snob (especially because I'm not even done with the book) but I didn't care for the movie at all.  There was little to no setup or background on the characters and even though the kids did well I didn't really feel like they were developed.

Grade: D

Blade Runner 2049 70%

I grew up with the original as my joint all-time favourite film, along with SW. So this had a lot to live up to.

I thought the film did a great job of being a Blade runner film. I loved the non-break-neck pace, which gave me time to think and consider what was happening, without stretching it out too much. If anything, the vision of a dystopian future was even more depressing that the first, and probably because it was even more believable. I read a view of the original only last week that said the one could tell each shot was meticulously considered; indeed, the shot with Rachel walking towards Deckard, when they are first introduced, remains one of my favourite scenes in a film, and was specifically re-presented in 2049. 2049 tried to give a similar meticulously crafted product and would probably have been superior, had it done it first.

Also, you will not be disappointed by the massive Vangelis synths, which weren't Vangelis, but included many references to the original score.

Definitely worth a watch.

War for the Planet of the Apes 79%

Unhyped. No mega-trailers, with trailers for trailers. One of the standout films of the year. Similarly, i came to DotPotA with no preconceptions, and really enjoyed it much more than expected. RotPotA was decent enough. This is another level of better. I've been discussing with friends how i used to consider the quality of effects as a major draw, yet sadly haven't looked upon them quite so appeallingly for many years. In fact, i thought i'd lost the child-like amazement for SFX altogether. I was wrong. WftPotA as just stunning. But it's not just the CGI; it's that skill at characterisation that really makes it just totally convincing that i am watching an intelligent ape. But, hey, the story was also excellent and did a first class job of moving the story forward to where the 70's films took off. And I can only imagine how hard it is to act, when 95% of the cast aren't there. 

Watch it.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

Bloodsport 5/10

My son was watching a cartoon (He was grounded from the internet lol) and I said that is the guy from Bloodsport.  He said what is that so I took the opportunity to introduce him to Mr. Jean-Claude Van Damme. 

The acting is so bad its laughable.  The story is clunky and the dialogue is something out of a middle school play.  Even the makeup generated some laughs.  If you were an Oscar judge, or even a county fair judge, there is nothing of value to rate when it comes to this movie.  Why does it earn 5/10?  Because it is so bad it is actually good.  There is a reason its a classic.  It makes for an enjoyable watch that is highly entertaining.

I mixed up my late 80s JCVD movies.  Turns out the villain from the cartoon was from Kickboxer so I have to find a copy of that to for us watch.  On a side note, its a lot of fun watching older movies with my kids.  I was about my son's age when this movie came out.

Lasraik likes this

15 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Bloodsport 5/10

My son was watching a cartoon (He was grounded from the internet lol) and I said that is the guy from Bloodsport.  He said what is that so I took the opportunity to introduce him to Mr. Jean-Claude Van Damme. 

The acting is so bad its laughable.  The story is clunky and the dialogue is something out of a middle school play.  Even the makeup generated some laughs.  If you were an Oscar judge, or even a county fair judge, there is nothing of value to rate when it comes to this movie.  Why does it earn 5/10?  Because it is so bad it is actually good.  There is a reason its a classic.  It makes for an enjoyable watch that is highly entertaining.

I mixed up my late 80s JCVD movies.  Turns out the villain from the cartoon was from Kickboxer so I have to find a copy of that to for us watch.  On a side note, its a lot of fun watching older movies with my kids.  I was about my son's age when this movie came out.

I couldn't help it...I have to

giphy.gif

Dunnar, Elovia and Jag like this

Watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle last night with the misses since she's a big fan of the first one.  I also enjoyed the first one, which is why it is a bit disappointing to say the sequel was a bit of a let down.  The fight scenes were quite well done, particularly the first one which really sets the film off but then after that it kinda meanders around for the rest of the film.  Not going into exactly what happens to avoid spoilers, but I feel that there were many plot choices that were... questionable.  There are interesting scenes and ideas, its not a terrible movie, but there are flaws that spoil enjoyment of it, including the strange feeling that the film is trying to be like the first one without understanding the first one at all, which is strange as the film was made by the same people.  The fight scenes as I said are entertaining, but a lot of them seem to be filmed in the same particular style of the church fight in the first one, as if they were trying to recreate it but without understanding it again. 

The biggest flaw I feel though is something that is actually brought up in the first film: when Colin Firth and Samual L Jackson characters meet they have a conversation about the James Bond film, where Galahad states "I only felt the films were only as good as the villain."  And yet, in this film, they don't seem to follow their own advice.  While the actor playing her does a fine job of portraying the role as it was given to her, the role itself is kinda lacking.  They seem to have gone for crazy, but other than that I'm not sure what she is supposed to be about.  She lacks any goals that seem to fit with her actions and her connection to the protagonist is virtually nonexistant.  In fact, they don't even meet until the very end of the film and neither side really knows the other.

5/10 watch for the fight and funny scenes.

Lasraik likes this

Predestination

For his final assignment, a top temporal agent must pursue the one criminal that has eluded him throughout time. The chase turns into a unique, surprising and mind-bending exploration of love, fate, identity and time travel taboos.

Found this on a list of underrated movies and decided to give it a try.  Didn't know anything about it other than synopsis above.  After the first time I watched it I kept thinking about it after and thinking back to what happens in the movie and what it all means.  I watched it again with my wife and she noticed some things I didn't notice and we still don't totally agree on some parts of the movie.  

If you enjoy time travel, check this movie out.  Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook are both excellent in this movie.  I'm surprised more people don't know about it even though it's not a movie most movie goers would have the patience for.  Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys the sci-fi time travel genre or even solid movies without needing explosions or tights and capes.

Grade: A-

Thor: Ragnarok 59%

My mate, who shares similar tastes to me, watched it last week and rated it his best film of the past year. So i came to it with high expectations. Quite disappointed in the end.

I've never liked the rendition of Asgard at all. The whole Heimdal, portal, way over-obvious CG is just crappily done. They could have and should have spent more time bringing it down to earth. Fewer colours and shiny landscapes.

Chatty hulk was just annoying. Not at all sure why they bothered with that. They tried to give his character depth and it just doesn't work.

There were some characters with great potential. The Grandmaster had a bit of airtime, but could have been much more. Korg was fantastic, and should have had loads more.

The story was kinda shit. Bad person appears. Thor has to kill her. 

Cate was very sexy.

The Mountain Between Us 63%

Two films this weekend with Idris Elba. This was the 2nd. It's a similar story to "Alive" 1993. Superb film, if anyone's seen that. Both he and Kate Winslet crash in the high Rockies and have to survive with their labrador retriever. It's a nice exploration of people under extreme stress. Nothing great. But decent enough.

Killing of a Sacred Deer. 55%

Bloody odd film, that's quite uncomfortable to watch. Surgeon befriends the son of a former patient, who died. Hard to say much without giving stuff away, but i suspect the film wanted to make me think more than i wanted too. 

The boy, Barry Keoghan, is a first-rate actor.

Not quite as wierd as 'Mother!'.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

Mother! 38%

The film starts of fairly conventionally, with a writer husband and younger wife setting up home out in the sticks. Things start going wierd, when an older chap turns up and is invited to stay.

The film explores how much Mother can put up with while husband spends more and more time entertaining the increasingly strange behaviour of visitors. The pace and incidents wind up into a fantastical and manic pace towards the last 10 minutes of the film. I was left thinking i was supposed to be thinking and realising something smart and clever, when all i was thinking was, what a pile of crap.

I would genuinely love for some here to watch this film and explain to me what i'd missed.

ChuckWagonMTG and Lasraik like this

26 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Mother! 38%

The film starts of fairly conventionally, with a writer husband and younger wife setting up home out in the sticks. Things start going wierd, when an older chap turns up and is invited to stay.

The film explores how much Mother can put up with while husband spends more and more time entertaining the increasingly strange behaviour of visitors. The pace and incidents wind up into a fantastical and manic pace towards the last 10 minutes of the film. I was left thinking i was supposed to be thinking and realising something smart and clever, when all i was thinking was, what a pile of crap.

I would genuinely love for some here to watch this film and explain to me what i'd missed.

Sounds like one of those movies that I would start cheering when the main characters get killed...

13 hours ago, Pasanda said:

<snip> all i was thinking was, what a pile of crap.

I liked it, quite a bit even. Watched it with  the mrs., so we could theorise as the film went on. To be fair, the film starts weird. And that scene stayed in the back of our mind throughout. It helped explain to us what was going on. Plus, the symbolism is laid on pretty thick. It's very biblical.

I'd rate it 7/10.

Edited by Wolphard

Darkest Hour: 10/10

Holy shit, this movie was amazing. Gary Oldman does a great job portraying the man that led Britain through World War 2, and the panic that someone feels when it's them in charge of lives. 

That being said, the only things I can really ding them on is that Oldman mumbles too much (at least in me and my dad's opinion: we both like subtitles on things. Also, we know Churchill was famous for mumbling but it seemed overdone.) and they portrayed him as the older Churchill, not the man who saved the 300,000 troops at Dunkirk when he was quite a bit younger. 

However, it's not enough for me to ding it a point. The prosthetics they used on Oldman to portray Churchchill looked real. I found myself thinking, "Holy shit, how much weight did Oldman have to gain for this movie?"

Lasraik likes this