Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Rate the last movie you watched

211 posts in this topic

Sweet Virginia

It's weird seeing Jon Bernthal in this kind of role after most of the ones he's done, but he does have some range as an actor.  This is a slow movie but one that I thought was pretty good.  They could have fleshed out some of the story lines better or given more background but it's worth a watch if you're into these kind of slow crime stories.

Grade: B-

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Downsizing 6/10

It doesn't get raving reviews, but it holds Matt Damon. I love Matt Damon, so I watched this film anyway. All through the film I did not understand these bad reviews, I enjoyed it. It was an easy 7/10 for me, untill the ending... Made me go 'meh'.
Still, @Pasanda might like it. It brushes on his pet-peeve, overpopulation.

The Vanishing of Sidney Hall 8/10

Great film, totally loved it. It follows a writer at three defining moments in his life, simultaniously. Loads of flashbacks, but it never becomes confusing. Good piece of work.

Posted (edited)

Real Steel 68%

I watched this when it first came out, on my own. I thought it was pretty cool and did better than reviews hinted. It came on TV a few nights ago and i suspected my 8YO might enjoy. So we all watched it this afternoon. It's his new best film ever, and my wife liked it too, which is a rare event. I thought it had stood up well to 7 years passing and enjoyed it just as much as previous attempts. I probably noticed and enjoyed Evangeline more than during previous attempts, due to her new found elvishness.

A perfect film for older kids. 1 "shit", a few craps and a spattering of asses - that kind of stuff, if you can handle it. I can definitely handle a spattering of Ms Lily's ass. Heck... i'd eat the sweetcorn outta her shite.

Edited by Pasanda

Ready Player One 7/10

If you like nostalgia and are a child of the 80s, you will love this movie.   I enjoyed that part of it a lot.  Especially since it was video game centric and filled with Easter eggs.

The plot was so so, somewhat predictable ... kind of like an 80s movie.  The ending could have been better.  There was a slow spot or 2.  But when it was all said and done, I was highly entertained.

My kids enjoyed it even though most of the 80s stuff was over their heads.  Couple of whispers from me helped them understand, seeing how I have exposed them to lots of 80s culture.  Bill and Ted, Voltron, mad balls, Iron giant, the music, Dr Browns Delorean, and a bunch of stuff I probably didnt notice.

Infinity Wars did not disappoint.  Man...tears and audible sobbing and gasps in the theater.  After the movie the girl next to us calls someone sobbing.  " I am not OK she says with big crocodile tears."Now this made me laugh, because the story makes it VERY clear whats happening in the next episode, that part was poorly done IMO.  Much to obvious if you were paying attention, but some pretty dramatic moments.

I am dishing out a 9/10.  Humor was well done, dramatic moments were well done.  Fights were pretty sweet.  Most of the time when movies are all over the place location wise, like this one was, things get disjointed.  However, I found the story very easy to follow and the way the different locals interacted was great.

I might go see it again, not something I typically do.

Braven 6/10

Better than i thought it would be, and for the most part a well made taut thriller. The last 5 minutes really let it down. Almost like they changed the writer and director. Such a shame.

Posted (edited)

Riphagen 7/10

It's early May, so the tv is brimming with WW2 films & series. I saw Riphagen last night. I missed the first airing 2 years ago, a download was stuttery, and hadn't come around to seeing the recorded version of last year. 

I really enjoyed it, it is a good film. Does a decent job of portraying the fear in occupied territory. It's in Dutch & German though, so it'll be outside the comfort zone for some.

Edited by Wolphard

Infinity Wars: 9/10

Highly enjoyed it.  My kids loved it.  I don't want to spoil anything, but as @Jag alluded to, you will experience a wide range of emotion.  All around fun, highly entertaining movie worthy of several watches.  I forgot how many marvel characters there actually are.  Previews were great, want to go see dam near every one of the movies.  Marvel's end of the movie tease left me scouring the web looking for the next marvel movies.