Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Early Access Games

14 posts in this topic

Ark fans are pretty pissed off that the company released an expansion for an early access game.  Yes, an early access game that isn't finished yet is releasing an expansion that people who already paid for an unfinished game have to pony up more money to play.   When some of their customers complained, they were basically told to STFU and be grateful they are lucky enough to play such a great game like Ark.  

This reminds me a little of 7 Days to Die.  It's an early access game that is in alpha and instead of finishing the game for the thousands of people who supported it on PC via Steam the Fun Pimps decided it would be a better use of resources to port the game to consoles.  

Steam really has to tighten the reins on Early Access games.  7 Days to Die has been in alpha for 3+ years.  Alpha.  It's too easy for these devs to tell their players who have game breaking bugs "It IS early access so you have to expect these kinds of problems." instead of you know... finishing their game they've been paid for.

I know some people say they want to support these smaller indie titles, but that's what Kickstarter is for.  At least there you can get rewards other than paying to be a glorified bug tester.  

Not sure about everyone else here but I'm worried about this direction the gaming world is going.  PC games especially.  It's setting a bad precedent and lacks any accountability.  Stop paying for halfway finished games.

Early access is just code for:  Its taking to long for us to make this game into what we promised it would be, just pay us now based on those false promises so we can cash out and move on.  Thanks.

Early access has been abused.  There are early access games where the developer has admitted to dropping production on it altogether, instead going off to work on some other game that is also going to be released in Early Access.  Reminds me of Star Citizen too.

18 hours ago, Jazz said:

Early access has been abused.  There are early access games where the developer has admitted to dropping production on it altogether, instead going off to work on some other game that is also going to be released in Early Access.  Reminds me of Star Citizen too.

lol Star Citizen.  Glad I didn't pledge for that one.

16 minutes ago, Jag said:

FYI  Star Citizen alpha looks amazing.

It's looked amazing for a couple of years now, just too bad it's not finished.

I can see where the sentiment comes from.  Most games you don't even hear about until they are in later stages of development.  This crowd funding started before a single piece of code was written.  There is a lot of scam potential I guess.  But I have played the current version, and its pretty damn fun.

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I can see where the sentiment comes from.  Most games you don't even hear about until they are in later stages of development.  This crowd funding started before a single piece of code was written.  There is a lot of scam potential I guess.  But I have played the current version, and its pretty damn fun.

Most of my doubts come from their missed self imposed deadlines for release dates.

8 hours ago, Wolphard said:

I fail to see why Steam has to do anything? When you buy into an early access game there are no guarantees given. If you don't want to run a risk, don't buy an early access. If you feel cheated, don't buy a game again. You're not forced to do anything, and it really isn't that big of a deal.

Besides, I'm sure we all spent money in the past on games that were supposed to be finished; but instead were big piles of turd. Which was, as far as I'm concerned, much worse as you were paying full money. Sierra games (I think) were notoriously unplayable. 

Fair point.  But when customers buy games on Steam and have a bad experience with an Early Access game it reflects on the developer and in some cases even more so Steam.  Especially players who aren't familiar with what beta or alpha even means.  They buy a game on Steam and expect it to work and eventually be a finished product.  

I'm going to have to agree with Wolphard for the most part on this, but I do think Steam and other vendors have some culpability in attempting to profit by selling an admittedly unfinished product.  Over the last several decades, I've noticed an extensive amount of erosion of personal responsibility.  It used to be that when you traded your family cow for a handful of magic beans, the response was generally, "sucks to be you," most notably from the Giant descending the subsequential beanstalk.  Now it seems like whenever something bad happens due to poor personal choices, it is always because of someone else's fault.  "Caveat Emptor" is not just a meaningless Latin phrase no matter how much others wish it so.  "Everyone wins a prize just for showing up" needs to find its way to the annals of history ... quickly ... because that is just not how the world works at all.

YMMV

Lasraik and Dunnar like this

36 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I'm going to have to agree with Wolphard for the most part on this, but I do think Steam and other vendors have some culpability in attempting to profit by selling an admittedly unfinished product.  Over the last several decades, I've noticed an extensive amount of erosion of personal responsibility.  It used to be that when you traded your family cow for a handful of magic beans, the response was generally, "sucks to be you," most notably from the Giant descending the subsequential beanstalk.  Now it seems like whenever something bad happens due to poor personal choices, it is always because of someone else's fault.  "Caveat Emptor" is not just a meaningless Latin phrase no matter how much others wish it so.  "Everyone wins a prize just for showing up" needs to find its way to the annals of history ... quickly ... because that is just not how the world works at all.

YMMV

It's your fault I'm terrible at every game.  Why do you smite me?  And where's my participation trophy?