Lasraik

Maximum Hand Size Rule Possible Change

8 posts in this topic

That would change the purpose of many cards and may affect how people compose their mana base. My gut feeling is that maximum hand size is a good thing for the game, but I would be interested to hear reasons to change it.

Abaddon likes this

1 hour ago, BlutEntropy said:

The only reason why they would change it is because of dredge

Can you elaborate? 

I hope this never changes, it's way too late in the lifespan of MTG to change something so fundamental.

If any rule needs changing its the legend rule (and similar planeswalker identity rule). I don't see any sense in the current version where you can abuse the whole limitation of only allowing one such permanent in play by using an ability on one copy then playing a second and using a second ability. 

Surely it would make more sense to have the rule be that having one legendary permanent (or planeswalker of a certain name) in play means you straight up can't play a second one. It's basically the late 90s version of the rule except not affecting other players (definitely not asking for a return to those glorious days of "first to Lin-Sivvi wins"). In the case of planeswalkers, there would still be a small amount of room to bend the rule in that you could activate an ability which took your planeswalker to zero loyalty and killed it then play a second one, but I still think it's better than the rule as it is

Abaddon, Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

1 hour ago, rainman said:

I hope this never changes, it's way too late in the lifespan of MTG to change something so fundamental.

If any rule needs changing its the legend rule (and similar planeswalker identity rule). I don't see any sense in the current version where you can abuse the whole limitation of only allowing one such permanent in play by using an ability on one copy then playing a second and using a second ability. 

Surely it would make more sense to have the rule be that having one legendary permanent (or planeswalker of a certain name) in play means you straight up can't play a second one. It's basically the late 90s version of the rule except not affecting other players (definitely not asking for a return to those glorious days of "first to Lin-Sivvi wins"). In the case of planeswalkers, there would still be a small amount of room to bend the rule in that you could activate an ability which took your planeswalker to zero loyalty and killed it then play a second one, but I still think it's better than the rule as it is

Never even thought to use the ability on one then play the other legendary and use that ability

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Can you elaborate? 

They go to eight on second and discard a grave troll or something. It's not really something that makes or breaks the deck, it's just not the first time they changed a fundamental rule because of dredge.

Abaddon and Lasraik like this