Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Picked this up on eBay

15 posts in this topic

Every once in a while I'll browse eBay for collections or lots of cards that are for sale.  Most of the time the bidding gets out of hand and I just let everyone else fight over what is probably a picked clean "collection" that isn't worth the shipping costs.

Last week I bought a play set of every common from Eternal Masters for $25.  Pretty good buy, especially now that I'm brewing pauper decks and learning the format.  Feeling pretty good about this purchase, I started looking for more commons from Eternal Masters.  Because one play set is never enough, right?

I run across an auction that has about an hour left, nobody has bid on it yet.  It's $3.57 shipping and I bid $1.  The description reads it's a box of Eternal Master commons, for $4.57 how can I go wrong?  I'm notified about an hour later that I won the auction, so I pay and wait for the box to arrive.

et.png

The box arrived Friday and today I started digging into it.  

20160913_153031.jpg

Most multiple cards are stuffed in a single sleeve, most commons have at least 4 copies of each, sometimes more.  But no foils to speak of.  So I start sorting and I run into a some uncommons.  Most notably Wall of Omens, Swords to Plowshares, Bloodbraid Elf, Geae's Blessing, a couple copies of Brainstorm and Daze and a few others.  Starting to look better.  

Then I run into some cards that don't have multiples and find a bunch of rares.  

20160913_153900.jpg

My best guess is someone bought a bunch of Eternal Masters, maybe a few boxes and sold the chase rares.  Stuffed the rest in a box and sold it to get rid of it.  The eBay store I bought from mostly sells odds and ends stuff, not a strictly MTG store.  No foils of any cards, the really expensive rares are all gone.  Even so, for less than $5 I can't complain!  Usually I'll buy a collection on eBay and get mostly garbage, but I got lucky this time.

Have a time that you bought a collection and ended up getting more than you thought you would?  

Not quite the same but I was able to snag a playset of JTMS on Ebay for $15 apiece when it was first spoiled. People underestimated how good he was...  I just wanted them for a janky Lorescale Coatl deck :D 

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

26 minutes ago, Aurian said:

Not quite the same but I was able to snag a playset of JTMS on Ebay for $15 apiece when it was first spoiled. People underestimated how good he was...  I just wanted them for a janky Lorescale Coatl deck :D 

Wow, nice investment lol

Aurian likes this

On 9/14/2016 at 11:37 AM, Abaddon said:

How are the dragon shield sleeves?

Dragon Shields are my preferred brand of outer sleeves.  I like the look and feel of their matte sleeves the best.  They have less shine than regular KMC; similar to classic Ultra Pros, but without the dots on the fronts.  To me, they feel about the same as KMC Hyper Mattes and handle about the same, but I've been loyal to Dragon since 2002ish when their classic sleeves hit the US, for their durability.

Lasraik likes this

5 hours ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

Holy Crap - Nice Find!! So many great cards there for cube. *goes to look frantically on ebay*

Wonder what shipping from here to there would be.  

Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 likes this

Best score I ever got was from Goodwill. The bag was literally duck-tapped together in plastic bags and Ziplocks. It was 5$ for like, 10 lbs of cards, and I scored an Entomb, 2 Cabal Therapy's and an Enlightened Tutor from that mass of cards. They were all old and in mostly mint condition.

My old friend picked up a hockey bag full of cards and got a playset of Mox Diamond from it, and like 12 Channels. Plus loads of other cards.

The one "great score" I have ever landed though was Stoneforge Mystic. When she first came out, I was trying to build an old equipment deck, and had only 1 from a random pack in one of those "Starter Deckbuilder Boxes" they used to do. I fell in love with her, and an old play friend who was "going to be the next world champion" laughed at my deck. He said that she was completely useless and no one in Standard would ever bother using her (side story: When I went to the Ravnica pre-release all those years ago, a guy next to me pulled a Doubling Season and crumpled it up  saying that "no one would ever play an enchantment that cost 5 in tournaments). So he just gave them to me. The next week Caw Blade swept through the Standard ranks and suddenly the price shot up to "Holy shit, my car didn't cost that much..." He came back the next week and tried to convince me to give them back, claiming they were so worthless but he had a pretty good idea for a deck in mind. I laughed and told him I knew how much they were worth.

My last little bit of bragging was getting a playset of Vigor for $2 long before Modern was a thing. Most my friends at that time saw my Vigor deck and couldn't believe the card was so cheap. They never bought their playsets. :D:PB)

Lasraik likes this

6 hours ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

More than you paid for the box! ^^

I only paid a few bucks for it.  I'll check into what it would cost to ship to you, I don't mind donating cards to your Cube if I have something you'd like.

6 hours ago, TAGVoar said:

Best score I ever got was from Goodwill. The bag was literally duck-tapped together in plastic bags and Ziplocks. It was 5$ for like, 10 lbs of cards, and I scored an Entomb, 2 Cabal Therapy's and an Enlightened Tutor from that mass of cards. They were all old and in mostly mint condition.

My old friend picked up a hockey bag full of cards and got a playset of Mox Diamond from it, and like 12 Channels. Plus loads of other cards.

The one "great score" I have ever landed though was Stoneforge Mystic. When she first came out, I was trying to build an old equipment deck, and had only 1 from a random pack in one of those "Starter Deckbuilder Boxes" they used to do. I fell in love with her, and an old play friend who was "going to be the next world champion" laughed at my deck. He said that she was completely useless and no one in Standard would ever bother using her (side story: When I went to the Ravnica pre-release all those years ago, a guy next to me pulled a Doubling Season and crumpled it up  saying that "no one would ever play an enchantment that cost 5 in tournaments). So he just gave them to me. The next week Caw Blade swept through the Standard ranks and suddenly the price shot up to "Holy shit, my car didn't cost that much..." He came back the next week and tried to convince me to give them back, claiming they were so worthless but he had a pretty good idea for a deck in mind. I laughed and told him I knew how much they were worth.

My last little bit of bragging was getting a playset of Vigor for $2 long before Modern was a thing. Most my friends at that time saw my Vigor deck and couldn't believe the card was so cheap. They never bought their playsets. :D:PB)

"Holy shit, my car didn't cost that much."  lol

32 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I only paid a few bucks for it.  I'll check into what it would cost to ship to you, I don't mind donating cards to your Cube if I have something you'd like.

That's extremely kind of you! I can name about 9 cards on that list I'd love to get my hands on - I'll send you a pm of the cards tomorrow as I'm heading off to celebrate my partner's birthday today!

Lasraik and TAGVoar like this

4 minutes ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

That's extremely kind of you! I can name about 9 cards on that list I'd love to get my hands on - I'll send you a pm of the cards tomorrow as I'm heading off to celebrate my partner's birthday today!

Sounds good, tell your partner happy birthday!

Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 likes this